The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (50GMC253, buoymaker, 3B, 9% grade, aircommando462, coilover, 1 invisible), 166 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,007
Posts1,000,815
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hvlp but not compressed air
#1090493 Mon Mar 09 2015 08:51 PM
J
jer3545 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I was looking at a wagner 890 airless spray gun which has many settings and capable of spraying thick or thin paint and stains. Im wondering why this would not work to prime a fender or hood using etching primer. What you think? Thank's

Jerry
Re: hvlp but not compressed air
jer3545 #1090500 Mon Mar 09 2015 09:23 PM
U
Shop Shark
There is no reason an airless spray gun would not work to propel primer onto a hood or fender.

It'll possibly look like a giraffe diarrhea splattered on it, though.

That's probably not the best description, but I've sprayed all sorts of stains & primer & paint through those 'Wagner-type' airless guns. If you just want to coat the metal, it will work just fine, but it will sort of dry to a leathery texture.

Subjective statement: I know you asked if it will work; it will, but it will not look very good.

Brad

Wrench Fetcher, PhD
jer3545 #1090506 Mon Mar 09 2015 10:07 PM
L
Master Gabster
Given the construction of it, I would question as to whether it can handle solvent based paints. Moth automotive solvent based paint do not play well with plastics, melting them. Same can be said for any seals inside the unit.

Bill Burmeister
LONGBOX55 #1090510 Mon Mar 09 2015 10:11 PM
J
jer3545 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks Guy's two good reasons I didn't consider, CASE CLOSED ! Appreciate the feed back.

Jerry
Uncle Brad #1090551 Tue Mar 10 2015 01:03 AM
C
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by ClaudeTheTruck
There is no reason an airless spray gun would not work to propel primer onto a hood or fender.

It'll possibly look like a giraffe diarrhea splattered on it, though.

That's probably not the best description, but I've sprayed all sorts of stains & primer & paint through those 'Wagner-type' airless guns. If you just want to coat the metal, it will work just fine, but it will sort of dry to a leathery texture.

Subjective statement: I know you asked if it will work; it will, but it will not look very good.

Brad

Nothing a good belt sander couldn't take care of though...

Actually a simple RO pad sander and some 80 grit work better, but if it turns out like TANNED leather, well maybe the belt would work.

Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
jer3545 #1090952 Thu Mar 12 2015 03:53 AM
R
Shop Shark
If anyone else has this consideration.... Please don't do it. The main reason that comes to mind is that solvent based paints have a much lower combustion temperature and will easily ignite when coming into contact with things that spark! IE, an electric airless sprayer. I do have an air operated airless sprayer ( Yeah I thought it was funny too) that is used in the automotive world. It was about $3000 for the set up that we used in a high production industrial urethane job.

Buy a decent gun to spray your primer with!

Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
rdomeck@me.com
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop