The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Eureka Jim, miraclepieco, 55_2nd_Series, dirtball, Justhorsenround, 2 invisible), 117 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,432
Posts956,237
Members43,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sun Tach Transmitter EB Series Rebuild
#1088502 Sat Feb 28 2015 05:43 PM
Shop Shark
Thought that I would share some photos and info on the rebuild of my EB series Sun Tach Transmitter. As we all know the EB transmitters for the Sun Tach Model RC tachs use 1 or 2 (depends on if it is for a 6 Cyl or 8 Cyl) 1.35V mercury batteries which are no longer available, some guys have also used regular AA batteries but the accuracy of the tach is questionable. There are companies like the Tach Man or Williamson's Instruments who rebuild these transmitters and tach's but the cost for this is around $300 plus and if they are backlogged then you have to wait. Being a little cheap and I also like to do things myself, I found a company called RT Engineering who manufactures circuit boards to replace the old electronics in the EB series transmitter box. Their board can be mounted in the transmitter box or can be mounted on the back of the tach itself. the board is fairly accurate, off by +or- 4 RPM at a 1000 RPM and +or-16 RPM at 4000 RPM. The board will work with either 6 Volt neg ground or a 12 Volt negative ground systems, and the box no longer requires batteries inside as you use the engine ground post for your power into the box (see the wiring diagram). Please remember that the tach itself must be in working condition, there are a couple websites that tell you how to test your tach. The cost for the board is $75 and they also sell a calibration source to calibrate the tach before installation, the cost for that was $50. The guy that I dealt with was Tom, really helpful and responded quickly to questions. His email contact is: tom2@anthony-labs.com

So if you can use a soldering iron, this will be a quick and easy fix for you. Feel free to have a look at the photos and email me if you have any questions

http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/1951CanadianGMC/slideshow/Sun%20Tach%20Rebuild

Last edited by 5 Window 9434; Sat Feb 28 2015 05:49 PM.

1966 Chevrolet Caprice 2 Door Hardtop (396 Big Block)
1951 GMC 9434 5 Window (waiting on a 292 transplant)
Re: Sun Tach Transmitter EB Series Rebuild
5 Window 9434 #1088674 Sun Mar 01 2015 03:58 AM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy 5 Window 9434, thank you very much for posting that.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop