The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (78buckshot, Bill Trotter, Barnfind49, Alex Arrow, DanCoyro, Donsz, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,472
Posts926,449
Members42,443
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1080884 Fri Jan 23 2015 12:25 AM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Howdy All - Been a while but I have made some minor progress. New springs are in front & rear and the Dana 80HD axle is now hung. Added a 3 degree wedge to try and get the drive angle close but won't really know until I start putting the driveshaft together. Also gathered up 6 new 19.5" rims and tires to go all around. Had to make adapters so that the front rims would fit, but that was easy enough.

I gave up on pickling the cold-rolled steel with acid. Every time I'd paint some on, the wind would change. Not pleasant stuff to breathe so I broke down and had the remaining body panels sand blasted and primed. I just applied a couple of coats of latex paint with 25% of the HyTech ceramic beads on both sides of the interior panels to help with insulation. They will also get a layer of the silver "bubble wrap" insulation as well. The outer panels will get two coats but only on the inside surface.

Still have not stabbed the engine and tranny in but I have added an aluminum accessory bracket to handle mounting an A/C compressor and relocate the new alternater. A 250 amp monster that should handle just about anything I want to run off of it. It also relocates the water inlet & outlet. Still having fits locating a driveline brake that will fit my Allison 2200MH trans so if anyone has one laying around...?

I hope to have the front disk brake kit from Randy Domeck in the next week or so. Once that kit is installed at least I'll be able to take it off the jackstands for the first time in many months.

There are some updated pix in my Flickr album here...

Album

1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1080911 Fri Jan 23 2015 02:43 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Tango, looked through your photo's....again, and wow, there's been a ton of work going on. Keep pecking at it, it will get done and you'll stand back and think....did I really do this" smile

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1080928 Fri Jan 23 2015 04:02 AM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hey Chip...I will be thrilled if I am still capable of standing up by the time this thing is road ready!

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1084558 Mon Feb 09 2015 04:29 AM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
FINALLY!!! --- set the engine & tranny in place on Saturday with the help of a few ArtCar Museum techs. Fitting this "little" Cummins 4BT was one heck of a squeeze. Even more so than expected. It had to sit back almost six inches further than I thought it might (now nearly 30" back from the original engines position). Big engine + narrow Art Deco frame = PITA to fit! But then, how many "mid-engine" '46 school buses can be out there?

We spent the whole day nudging, grinding, measuring & cutting away more firewall but it is now in place and properly aligned (I hope). Now have part of one engine mount tacked in place and can begin the other this coming week. Also...my Randy Domeck front disk kits should be here soon. Yee-haw!

Advice to youngsters...it's OK to start building bus from scratch. Just get started before your well into your sixties. I just turned 70 on Groundhogs Day and still have a long ways to go. You do the math.

There are a few new pix up on my now ancient album.

New Pix https://www.flickr.com/photos/tango88/with/16282251560/

Last edited by Tango; Mon Feb 09 2015 04:29 AM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1085012 Wed Feb 11 2015 02:01 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Tango, age has nothing to do with it...well, maybe a little smile

If it was easy everyone would have a bus....but hey, watching you work away makes me feel like I do have a bus!
Your looking good. The light is on at the end of the tunnel just don't take your eye off of it. It is not a train.

Thanks for the update....and Happy belated Birthday wishes.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1087454 Mon Feb 23 2015 06:58 PM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Well...the engine & tranny package are now fully secured in place instead of just hanging from the hoist. Took some assistance to get everything measured and located but we managed to get the engine & trans mounts cut & welded without too much drama. Took a few "in & outs" but they are DONE.

Starting work on the driveshaft, parking brake and front brake system now.

At this rate, should have no problem getting it on the road in time for the next big Millennial celebration.

Gonna' party like it's 2099!

Latest pix are on the Flickr Link below.

Last edited by Tango; Mon Feb 23 2015 06:59 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1092814 Sat Mar 21 2015 08:39 PM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Not much to show for the past couple of months --- Been going in circles locating what few NOS parts there are to be had as well as spending a bundle at machine shops making parts that don't otherwise exist. Had an insane time with just front wheel bearings. No interchange anywhere for the larger inner bearings and the only replacements for the outers came in at $250 bucks apiece! Which I thought was insane until I saw the exact same Timkins on a macinery company website for...get this...$675.00 each! Replacement parts for the #@!%# Space Shuttle are probably cheaper. Especially now that they are all grounded.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1097493 Wed Apr 15 2015 03:05 AM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
At last,the bus is back on the ground! --- Just completed installing the front disk brake kit that was made for a 2 ton. And it is Mongo all the way. International big rig disks, Ford F350 calipers. Pretty sure it will haul this little rig down. Took a fair amount of "adjusting" including grinding maybe a quarter inch off the inner edge of the calipers to make'em fit inside the new 19.5" rims, but at least that part is done. Now have to build the rest of the brake system, which includes a whole new firewall to hang things from. Then there is the hydroboost/master and pedals and brake lines, but hey...nobody sold me on this being simple.

Lots of new pix in my Flickr album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tango88/sets/72157626526227672/

Onward!

Last edited by Tango; Thu Apr 16 2015 06:53 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1097745 Thu Apr 16 2015 04:46 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Tango, I clicked on the link but it says "address no valid".
Maybe its on my end??
But as you say...... ONWARD. Every step gets you one foot closer to being finished!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango] #1097766 Thu Apr 16 2015 06:57 PM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hmmmm...Thanks Chip. For whatever reason, the link is not going where it is directed. Only the "http//" part shows up in the address window.

But...if you copy and paste it it works. Must have something to do with how things are working on the Stovebolt site (?).

The link at the bottom of the page is still working even though the addy is the same. Who knows? All this Internet stuff is actually driven by Voodoo so anything can happen.

Last edited by Tango; Thu Apr 16 2015 07:00 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop