The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (PapaDisco, Fox), 270 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,075
Posts961,667
Members43,548
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Will it hold up? Welding a custom shifter for my T5.
#1081542 Mon Jan 26 2015 04:51 AM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Shop Shark
Stovebolters,
First the question.
Will this weld repair on the shifter tip hold up or will it eventually fail? I cut a damaged lower ball tip from a short throw shifter and welded on a good one.
I used a MIG welder and I did my best.
I have another short throw shifter with a good ball on the end and I can simply copy this project without the repair of the lower ball if you think what I did will fail.

I need honesty from you guys. It's great to belong to a forum like this where I can ask for advice and opinions.

I am a novice welder and today I tried something new. It was a fun project and it came out much better than I could have imagined. Here's a LINK to the entire project with 18 photos. The shift position is PERFECT.

Let me know if I should ditch the repaired shifter or if you think it will last.
Jay

Re: Will it hold up? Welding a custom shifter for my T5.
Lugnutz #1081560 Mon Jan 26 2015 06:23 AM
F
Shop Shark
Great job with the presentation. I think your weld will work fine. My shifter in SM420 broke clean about 6" off the floor and I welded it back together with an alignment adjustment so it wouldn't hit the dash anymore. I did it just like you did the ball repair. It has worked fine for five years and still going strong.

Just curious, why not weld the connection too and forget the bolt together idea? Then it would look like it should.

Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
1953 Chevrolet 3600
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Caution: Political Statement

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
FriedGreenTmater #1081572 Mon Jan 26 2015 01:13 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by FriedGreenTmater
Just curious, why not weld the connection too and forget the bolt together idea? Then it would look like it should.

I'd like to be able to remove the shifter handle without removing the base plate from the shifter box. The base plate gets sealed to the shift box. Plus, it will make installing carpet or a floor mat easier. Also, if I ever want to pull the tranny out, then I won't necessarily need to open the shifter box. Just remove the handle and drop it down.

Last edited by Lugnutz; Mon Jan 26 2015 01:21 PM.
Lugnutz #1081613 Mon Jan 26 2015 05:17 PM
H
Shop Shark
You should be good to go! Nice installation.

I typically try for a full penetration weld to ensure the weld is stronger than the base metal but in this case it probably isn't necessary.

My experience with the S10 transmissions is they shift easy, therefore the strain on the parts shouldn't be very high at all.

FWIW: I put a custom shifter in an '85 S-10, basically a Hurst stick on the stock T5, bolted it to the stub coming up out of the trans., and it held up for over 100,000 miles.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Lugnutz #1081678 Mon Jan 26 2015 11:11 PM
H
Boltergeist
Let me suggest you take the project one step further. The ball end of the shifter is hardened to resist wear, and welding in that area has probably annealed (softened) it. It's going to wear pretty quickly. There's a casehardening product called "Kasenit" that is used to surface-harden parts like the flintlock rifle frizzen that the flint strikes to fire the priming charge. If you have access to an acetylene torch I can send you a small quantity of the hardening powder (I buy it by the pound) and you can re-harden the ball so you won't have to make another shifter pretty soon. If you can scratch the area around the ball with a file, it's going to be too soft to last very long.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hot Rod John #1081701 Tue Jan 27 2015 01:05 AM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hot Rod John
FWIW: I put a custom shifter in an '85 S-10, basically a Hurst stick on the stock T5, bolted it to the stub coming up out of the trans., and it held up for over 100,000 miles.

The 85 S10 had a standard shifter and was not a short throw. Since the short throw version has a pivot pin that's further away from the ball tip, that means the little ball sees more stress from leverage. That doesn't mean that my repair is doomed to fail, but is does factor into the equation.

Basically, I think if it shifts like butter when I finally give it a test drive, then I'll go with it. I have my spare short throw shifter as back up. I sure would hate to have it fail while I'm on the road.

Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
The ball end of the shifter is hardened to resist wear, and welding in that area has probably annealed (softened) it. It's going to wear pretty quickly.
Jerry

Jerry, thanks for the offer to help harden the parts but if I get too nervous I'll just cut up my other short throw shifter and call it a day. The ball end sits inside a plastic cup in the shifter box, so I doubt the ball end will wear very quicky. Time will tell.

Last edited by Lugnutz; Tue Jan 27 2015 01:15 AM.
Lugnutz #1081704 Tue Jan 27 2015 01:19 AM
H
Boltergeist
OK- - - -if you decide to go with the hardening, let me know. No sense spending a bunch of money on Kasenit when I can spare a little!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1081725 Tue Jan 27 2015 02:22 AM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
OK- - - -if you decide to go with the hardening, let me know. No sense spending a bunch of money on Kasenit when I can spare a little!
Jerry

So I'd need an acetylene torch? What do I do with that and the powder? Sounds dangerous, so I'm in! big_eek

Lugnutz #1081734 Tue Jan 27 2015 02:56 AM
Master Gabster
Lug, I have a question about if there is any clearance issues in the area of where you welded the new ball end on? I realize that you already cleaned up the weld (and it looks nice, BTW), but if there were no clearance issues, you could have skipped the cleanup of the protruding bead, leaving more meat for more strength. Not picking at you, just thinking about the next one that someone might need to do.
Carl

52Carl #1081740 Tue Jan 27 2015 03:19 AM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Lug, I have a question about if there is any clearance issues in the area of where you welded the new ball end on? I realize that you already cleaned up the weld (and it looks nice, BTW), but if there were no clearance issues, you could have skipped the cleanup of the protruding bead, leaving more meat for more strength. Not picking at you, just thinking about the next one that someone might need to do.
Carl

Carl,
I understand your point. The ball sits inside a cup that's about 1 inch deep. The shape of the ball and stem is designed to allow the needed movement. Stick your left thumb loosely inside your right fist and wiggle it. If your thumb were thicker just outside your fist, then the wiggle would be restricted.
The area above the ball cannot be too thick or it will not pivot properly. If the stem contacts the top edge of the cup, then it might snap the ball off.

Last edited by Lugnutz; Tue Jan 27 2015 02:39 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop