The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (37 GC, Bill Trotter, D B Cooper, 49nut, 1958Viking, 1 invisible), 211 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,579
Posts966,454
Members43,704
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rotator Cuff Surgery
#1079753 Sat Jan 17 2015 02:25 PM
B
brjr51 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Well the doc just informed me I have a complete tear of my rotator cuff stemming from the auto accident I had right before Christmas.(thank goodness my sister insisted I go to the emergency room right after it happened or I would have written it off as just a bruise.)
If anyone's had this surgery, how long am I looking at being out of commission? My job does require climbing ladders and opening and closing large valves. Doc says it's a clean tear and there is a slight chance with some therapy it could scar over, but if not I should get surgery ASAP so I'm trying to prepare myself for worst case scenario.

Bob

Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery
brjr51 #1079760 Sat Jan 17 2015 02:56 PM
T
Shop Shark
depends on if the doctor has to cut you, or you have orthoscopic procedure. I had orthoscopic and was back to normal in about a month. Another guy at work had to be cut, he was out a couple months.

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
brjr51 #1079762 Sat Jan 17 2015 03:14 PM
J
Shop Shark
Bob, Depending on how bad the tear is you can probably limp along for a couple of years, Like I did. Then you will do something to really tear it. I had my shoulder done 5 years ago. Along with the tear, my surgeon found a couple of bone spurs, and some arthritis, all of which he repaired or removed. It took a full 2 months with rehab and doing the exercises that were recommended. Even then it was a full year before I felt like I was back to 100% and could do everything as well as I had before the surgery. If it were me I would have the surgery. Get it over and done with, and it won't be as invasive than if you wait to do it. And I won't lie, the first week to ten days is painful. All I wanted was painkillers, and ice packs. Good luck whichever way you choose to go. JF.

brjr51 #1079764 Sat Jan 17 2015 03:23 PM
G
Shop Shark
Yea, I agree there are tons of factors here.
Being in the industry (Physical Therapist Assistant) I have seen some really quick recoveries, and some not so quick. Just depends on the damage, a complete tear is pretty severe, and can take a while to rehab. I'm sure the Dr. will send you to PT, so my best advice is to do everything the PT says. If they want you to do certain things at home, do them. If he doesn't want you to do certain things, dont. There's nothing wose that a patient who doesn't put the effort in at home, and comes in and complains about how long rehab is taking.

brjr51 #1079767 Sat Jan 17 2015 03:38 PM
B
brjr51 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yeah I start therapy next week for four weeks. Doc told me if surgery is needed, don't wait too long, otherwise it starts to shrink up complicating the surgery.

Bob

brjr51 #1079796 Sat Jan 17 2015 05:56 PM
M
Shop Shark
I've injured my rotator cuff a few times playing nets in hockey, usually small tears. Time is the great healer, a couple of months seems to do it.

brjr51 #1079987 Sun Jan 18 2015 06:44 PM
W
Shop Shark
My old man tore his last year when he fell out of a JD Road Grader. He waited a couple months before going to the Doc. He had, "too much to do."

Unfortunately, the Doc couldn't do much because he waited too long. He can't lift his arm over his head now, and he's lost lots of strength.

THE SOONER YOU GET IT FIXED THE BETTER!!!!!!!!

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
brjr51 #1080260 Mon Jan 19 2015 11:54 PM
F
Shop Shark
I had mine destroyed in a car crash April last year and tried to muscle it back into shape. Finally had surgery in November and just now getting some strength back. Get it done quick, brute force and ignorance won't work.

Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
1953 Chevrolet 3600
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Caution: Political Statement

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop