The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
22 members (5 Window 9434, Cozsum, 7Jiggy, 5 invisible), 128 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,784
Posts942,437
Members43,042
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yellow top, red top, or plain old acid?
#1075814 Sun Dec 28 2014 06:42 PM
P
Shop Shark
Gentlemen,

Need some opinions and insights from you all. I pronounced last rights on a battery last night, and need to get a replacement. This is for a 1989 Toyota Pickup that I use exclusively as a firewood/winch truck, but I know you guys have experience far outside of just stovebolts. I went with an Optima red top in my 41 Chevy, and love it so I am thinking about getting another Optima.

Back to the woods truck. It is a non-registered beater firewood truck that sits more than it goes, but when it is used it is nearly always winching something and idles for long periods. I got 4 years out of a garden variety Advance Auto special lead battery which I think is acceptable given that the use pattern is a poster child for sulfating and high drawdown occurrences. I always run the truck when winching, but the 8000lb Warn electric winch uses LOTS of energy and I am certain it draws down the battery with each wood collection event. The AGM batteries appear to be superior to the traditional type of battery concerning sulphation, as is typical with largely sedentary vehicles (like many of our project trucks). The Yellowtop batteries are supposed to serve as both a starting battery and a deep cycle battery. The deep cycling characteristic sounds very advantageous for high electrical use patterns such as winching. Any personal experiences? Right now the 8104-045 D35/78 Yellowtop looks like the winner but the $200+ price tag has me a little price shocked. Will it last at least twice as long as a traditional lead battery in the application described?

Paul

Re: Yellow top, red top, or plain old acid?
Paul_WNC #1075819 Sun Dec 28 2014 06:50 PM
Extreme Gabster
The red top should be sufficient. Deep cycles are for use in situations where there will be long draws on them between charges, like with a trolling motor or RV camping in the boonies with no electrical hook up.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Paul_WNC #1075829 Sun Dec 28 2014 07:59 PM
H
Boltergeist
Are you running a 12 volt system with an alternator, or something more primitive? If you've got the capability to provide 50 amps or more at fast idle from the alternator I'd suggest using two 6 volt golf cart batteries for plenty of reserve capacity to run the winch, and use a battery maintainer (possibly solar-powered) between uses to prevent the batteries from sulfating. I use a similar setup on the 35 foot motorhome we own for the 12 volt coach power system. The coach batteries can also be used for starting by pushing a momentary-contact switch to run the starting and coach batteries in a parallel circuit in case of a low starting battery. The two golf cart batteries would cost much less than a single Optima.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Paul_WNC #1075830 Sun Dec 28 2014 08:06 PM
F
Extreme Gabster
AGM batteries are indeed good [and usually double the cost of wet cells], but as Cletis says, deep cycle and starting batteries are different animals, advertising claims non-withstanding .... usually that'd be labeled as a 'marine battery'

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Paul_WNC #1075846 Sun Dec 28 2014 10:46 PM
P
Shop Shark
Bill,

This battery is supposed to be both a starting and deep cycling battery.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...34-78-yellowtop-starting-and-deep-cycle/

In my application it will endure the least optimal types of use: infrequent use, short trips of no more than a mile, lots of idling, and heavy load demand from an electric winch to skid firewood trees to the nearest road.

I am not sold on it; but objectively, what do you think?

Paul

Paul_WNC #1075859 Sun Dec 28 2014 11:42 PM
Boltergeist
I do not winch very much and over the past few year I have once again decided the Diehard is for me. Just another idea.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Paul_WNC #1075880 Mon Dec 29 2014 12:28 AM
F
Extreme Gabster
why not a blue top grin or a Trojan

I think you'd be best off with a strong battery that's kept on a battery maintainer along with setting up a hand throttle to keep the engine at a high enough RPM when winching that the alternator is supplying most of the juice .... "one of the few true dual-purpose automotive batteries available" is sales hype, "dual purpose" means it doesn't do either job well wink

I notice the yellow top has lower CA and CCA than the red top and I'm surprised at the price, up here the red top is $230 and yellow top is $240 CDN, which right now is well below the US $

Bill

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
Paul_WNC #1075884 Mon Dec 29 2014 12:33 AM
J
Shop Shark
The 48 2 ton has the PTO driven lift body converted to electric drive and a 10,000 lb Warn for a loading winch (main reason for having to convert to 12V). It has an 85 amp alt.

I took the high road and put a Red top in the existing battery box (got the correct fit) and then the largest Yellow top in a utility box on the opposite side of the frame. Designed a custom gas tank and matching utility box for both sides of the frame.
There are 2 10ga wires off the alt, 1 to each battery.

Paul_WNC #1076140 Tue Dec 30 2014 12:08 PM
P
Shop Shark
I spoke with some hardcore Jeeper rock hound guys, and many of them use a redtop for starting and a yellowtop for winching (much like you are doing Jim). That plan sounds great, but buying two batteries would double the value of this clapped out woods truck. I agree with most replies that I need to be better at using a battery maintainer (so many moving parts...so little time). I am still intrigued by the yellowtop IF it really can function as both a starting and deep cycle battery as claimed by the manufacturer...someone selling a product wouldn't lie would they???

I guess the deciding factor is: will any AGM last twice the time of any wet cell battery? If you all have testimonial/anecdotal evidence that an AGM can last 8 years, I think I will go that route as it will be an approximate break even point. If nothing more than for the sake of science.

Thanks guys,

Paul

Paul_WNC #1076172 Tue Dec 30 2014 05:29 PM
F
Extreme Gabster
"any" AGM vs "any" wet cell? yes, AGMs can last a long time, if properly cared for .... as can wet cells wink twice as long by design? only if the wet cell is treated as if it were a deep cycle .... an AGM battery is not "deep cycle", it's a lead acid battery that's assembled differently, a VRLA, the yellow top has thicker plates than the red top, more lead = higher price [and heavier]

I've got a fairly cheap NAPA battery in my forklift that's probably over 8 now, and the last battery I replaced in the '58 was 7 .... at your first post above I was surprised at your 4 year statement, I'd say the short life was due to being left in a state of discharge for extended periods after use, always assure any lead acid battery [sealed or not] is fully charged before storage, deep cycle batteries can stand the abuse better but will still have a shorter than possible life

Bill

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop