The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (5WINDOWJOHN, 69Cuda, 57 Apache Stock, baldeagle, carbking, 3 invisible), 458 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,153
Posts927,017
Members42,560
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Upgrade for '66 Chevy K10 #1058532 Thu Sep 25 2014 09:54 PM
B
Bumpkin Offline OP
New Guy
Hello,
I'm keeping the drums on all 4 wheels, but would like to find an integrated booster/dual master cylinder to improve the braking. Any suggestions on a nice, easy to install product?
Thanks

Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Upgrade for '66 Chevy K10 [Re: Bumpkin] #1059490 Wed Oct 01 2014 12:59 AM
Hambone Offline
Shop Shark
I know there are folks that have been down this road before. Try your question in the driveline forum to see if you grab a response. I am watching in case I decide someday to do the same mod to a 66 K10.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10
Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Upgrade for '66 Chevy K10 [Re: Bumpkin] #1059515 Wed Oct 01 2014 02:35 AM
H
Hot Rod John Offline
Shop Shark
I have not installed this myself but I have a kept a link to the site in case I decide to pull the trigger on it.

https://www.performanceonline.com/1960-66-GMC-TRUCK-and-CHEVY-TRUCK-POWER-BRAKE-BOOSTER-KIT/

Hope this helps... good luck to ya. thumbs_up

John

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Upgrade for '66 Chevy K10 [Re: Bumpkin] #1059568 Wed Oct 01 2014 12:29 PM
N
NeedsTires Offline
New Guy
A complete matched set, part number 50-3715, Al Cardone, 1967 C10 Truck. Orielly auto a bit over $100. Have it on my truck.

Or if you already have the Cardone Master Cylinder for 67 C10/Impalla Dual Drum Drum Manual $17 at Oreilly (Part # 10-1329) then just add the following booster (Cut off the eye on the pushrod and sleeve or weld it to your adjustable brake pushrod under the dash)

Part number 54-73709.

Make sure you redrill the brake pedal 1" lower (3/8" hole) and remount the rear of your pedal push rod/readjust for 1/8 to 1/4" free travel. The free travel ensures the master piston ports are uncovered for the return stroke.

Lowering the rear of the pushrod on the pedal changes/lowers the brake ratio from factory manual ratio to factory power ratio.

It will give you firmer pedal at the top of the stroke and more modern feel without the grabbiness of the higher manual ratio. Otherwise your brakes will be very touchy even when properly adjusted with the rears locking at the blink of an eye)

No proportioning valve is requried on Dual Drum power brakes. I adjust the rear for a bit less drag than the front and although sensitive, almost never lock the rears, even on wet roads with panic stops.

Naturally you'll split the lines so front and rear are fed by their own resevour at the Master.

The 67 C10 master has equal size resevours.....power disc/drum has a large resevour and a small resevour, wrong part for dual drum application.

The line running to the rear along the frame is 3/16 all the way back. In the conversion, simply run a 1/4 line all the way back and install short length of 1/4 to 3/16 adapter line at the top of the rear rubber line. You can then run the factory 3/16 lines between the rear distribution block and the rear cylinders.

This is an under $350 upgrade with all parts from Oreillys (hoses, cylinders, master, booster, lines and fittings) and represents probably the best money you can spend on your squarebody.

The resevour next to the fire wall is plumbed to the front drums on one circuit.

The resevour furthest from the fire wall is plumbed to the rear drums on a second circuit.

The adapter fittings you will need to plumb the two lines to the master are avaialble at oreilly.

The al cardone master has the valves in it that prevent the wheel cylinders from weeping when parked, plus the master is mounted high so none of the valves needed to hold a slight line pressure are required as when you install a master down on the frame at or below the level of the wheel cylinders.

Fully bleeding the system from totally dry can be a huge bear. I used vacuum, pressure and finally just relied on good old gravity and lots of pedal pumping!

Last edited by NeedsTires; Wed Oct 01 2014 12:46 PM.

I've been other places but they wore me out!
Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Upgrade for '66 Chevy K10 [Re: Bumpkin] #1066079 Sun Nov 02 2014 04:08 PM
R
Roadmarks Offline
Shop Shark
This is a fine write-up! Moderator should consider making this a "Tech-Tip!" "NeedsTires" is correct this is the best money you can spend on your truck and it all looks factory!

Best wishes,

Les

Moderated by  Hambone 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop