The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (carbking, 58caddy, 59 fleet, 35truck, coilover, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,110
Posts1,037,369
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1057489 Sat Sep 20 2014 07:56 PM
J
Jim Bow Offline OP
'Bolter
I have a 1928 house with cedar siding. Where some of the boards are butt jointed, the joints are filled with caulk. It's in pretty bad shape. Is this the right way to do it? Should I dig out the old caulk and replace it?

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Jim Bow #1057497 Sat Sep 20 2014 09:21 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
That's the least desirable type of joint. The calk will eventually fail and when it does there's no backup to prevent water infiltration. A better way is a calked Scarf Joint with a piece of roofing felt behind it. When (not IF) the calking fails it's harder for the water to defeat the joint plus the felt will stop any that does defeat the joint. The scarf doesn't need to be as radical as shown in the link I posted. A 45 degree should do just fine.

Last edited by Tiny; Sat Sep 20 2014 09:24 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Jim Bow #1057499 Sat Sep 20 2014 09:34 PM
J
Jim Bow Offline OP
'Bolter
Yeah, Tiny but . . . the siding has been in place for 80+ years. I don't think scarfing is a solution.

Jim Bow #1057507 Sat Sep 20 2014 11:02 PM
M
'Bolter
I would say yes. You may have to replace some rot. You may also find some ugliness beneath the siding. Whenever you touch something on an old house it usually leads to some new adventure to fix.

1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
My Webshots Album [good-times.webshots.com]
Jim Bow #1057519 Sat Sep 20 2014 11:52 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
JB you asked if a butt joint is the right way to do it and I answered. If you don't want to pull a lot of siding & do it right about the only option is to re-calk using good calking.

Let's go Jared!
Jim Bow #1057546 Sun Sep 21 2014 02:32 AM
J
Jim Bow Offline OP
'Bolter
Tiny,
After your post I started thinking. When they built this old house they mitered every corner of the siding. If they went to all that trouble, they would have also scarfed the boards where they came together. I took a closer look (remember, there's 80 years of paint) and sure enough, I found the scarf joints. Nice and tight. There's only two butt joints, on two different boards. Must have been a bad repair job sometime in the past.
Maybe I will go ahead and try better permanent fix.

Thanks for shifting my brain into first.

Jim Bow #1057593 Sun Sep 21 2014 12:46 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
No charge. grin grin

Let's go Jared!
Jim Bow #1058499 Thu Sep 25 2014 06:11 PM
P
Shop Shark
Anybody know where I can get some 10" cedar siding. I need to replace some, but all I can find is 8".

My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!
Jim Bow #1058504 Thu Sep 25 2014 06:32 PM
F
Extreme Gabster
probably need to talk to your local lumber yards

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Jim Bow #1058520 Thu Sep 25 2014 08:38 PM
S
'Bolter
I always put 45s on my cedar joints and now our code also calls for rain screen. I don't know if you have this in your area. I just finished my shop last year and here is how it's layered. It goes framing, sheathing, house rap, rain screen (which is 1/2" X 2" treated plywood strips) that is nailed on 16" spacing and around windows and doors so that here is a 1/2 gap between your siding and sheathing. That way if any moisture gets in it flows out the bottom that is open except for mesh that keeps the bugs out. Jim Bow if you have just a couple of boards it wouldn't be too much work to replace them. If you don't replace I would definitely put something like an aluminum flashing as wide as possible and under the joint and also under the board above the splice.

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin

When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton [stovebolt.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop