The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (52Carl, 5ptstar, '54 3600, 51Roughrider, 2 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,094
Posts923,063
Members42,329
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Re: HEI conversion [Re: hoozat] #1056929 Thu Sep 18 2014 01:11 AM
D
Deve Offline
Gas Pumper
Pertronix sells both entire Distributors:
http://pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/dist/cast/default.aspx

and modules:
http://pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx

So Jerry's post has me confused. Do you hate Pertronix, or, more likely you were referring to the modules. But since they are both made by the same people, what's the difference in the internals that a person wouldn't want the module?

Before you answer, look at the specs of the distributor. They look very much the same. (I think they are both just breakerless points solutions but I am no expert). I would love to purchase a full GM HEI setup for my 261. Where do I get one?

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Re: HEI conversion [Re: Deve] #1056944 Thu Sep 18 2014 01:55 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
My gripe with Pertronix is the fact that their products are completely proprietary. If any part of the system fails, the only repair option is to purchase that part, or possibly the entire unit from the manufacturer. General Motors began building HEI (High Energy Ignition) systems in the mid-1970's, and produced untold millions of them for almost 20 years with few variations of the basic system until elecrtonic spark control replaced vacuum and centrifugal advance systems in the late 1980's. The HEI units made for 194, 230, 250 and 292 6 cylinder engines can be adapted to stovebolt engines with a very simple modification to the distributor housing to assure that the distributor drive gear and the oil pump drive function properly. Repair parts are available at any auto parts store, local or online, and they're reasonably priced.

In my admittedly biased opinion, Pertronix ignition systems, either complete distributors or conversion units, are overpriced and of questionable reliability when compared to an original-equipment GM unit. It would be difficult to give me one if I had to use it in a daily driver vehicle. Your mileage may vary!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: HEI conversion [Re: hoozat] #1056954 Thu Sep 18 2014 02:18 AM
W
Whitelightning Offline
Shop Shark
Yeah I'd go for a re-machined original GM HEI. John

Re: HEI conversion [Re: hoozat] #1056987 Thu Sep 18 2014 06:27 AM
D
dwightlightning Offline
New Guy
I recently replaced the Mallory dual point distributor and MSD Blaster coil on my 235 with a large cap HEI from a 1975+ Chevy 250.
I got it on ebay and it is new, polished, with a performance module, and 62,000 volt coil in cap. The collar on the shaft has been machined off so it drops down into a stovebolt properly and it comes with a new billet clamp / hold down. It also has adjustable vacuum advance.
I chose the large cap version because the wider spacing between the terminals inside the cap reduce crossfire and because it can utilize a larger coil. I opened the gap on my plugs to .045.
What a difference it made! The truck starts instantly now. Performance has increased throughout the RPM range and mileage has increased as well.
One thing to note however, is that if you have a Wayne or other finned aluminum pushrod cover you will have to grind some fins down to be able to rotate the distributor to set the timing.
Now, it certainly doesn't look stock at all but the benefits far outweigh that to me. If I'm going to a show I can easily remove the HEI and drop the Mallory back in.

Re: HEI conversion [Re: hoozat] #1057039 Thu Sep 18 2014 03:44 PM
T
TooMany2count Offline
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
and once again here's the Tech Tip on to make a late model HEI dist work in the 216 & other early 6 cylinders....joe

Donate Blood, Plasma, Platelets & Sign Your DONORS CARD.
The Life You SAVE Might Be Someone You Know and LOVE.

Two possibilities exist:
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying.
Arthur C. Clarke

Re: HEI conversion [Re: TooMany2count] #1057045 Thu Sep 18 2014 03:58 PM
W
Whitelightning Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
and once again here's the Tech Tip on to make a late model HEI dist work in the 216 & other early 6 cylinders....joe

Great write up on how to modify one of these. I always thought the housing had to be machined in a lathe for fitting.
John

Re: HEI conversion [Re: dwightlightning] #1057050 Thu Sep 18 2014 04:11 PM
W
wolffcub Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by dwightlightning
I recently replaced the Mallory dual point distributor and MSD Blaster coil on my 235 with a large cap HEI from a 1975+ Chevy 250.
I got it on ebay and it is new, polished, with a performance module, and 62,000 volt coil in cap. The collar on the shaft has been machined off so it drops down into a stovebolt properly and it comes with a new billet clamp / hold down. It also has adjustable vacuum advance.
I chose the large cap version because the wider spacing between the terminals inside the cap reduce crossfire and because it can utilize a larger coil. I opened the gap on my plugs to .045.
What a difference it made! The truck starts instantly now. Performance has increased throughout the RPM range and mileage has increased as well.
One thing to note however, is that if you have a Wayne or other finned aluminum pushrod cover you will have to grind some fins down to be able to rotate the distributor to set the timing.
Now, it certainly doesn't look stock at all but the benefits far outweigh that to me. If I'm going to a show I can easily remove the HEI and drop the Mallory back in.

Was this ebay sale a one off sale or was it a company who mods and makes them? A link would be cool.

Re: HEI conversion [Re: wolffcub] #1057080 Thu Sep 18 2014 07:34 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
Originally Posted by wolffcub
Was this ebay sale a one off sale or was it a company who mods and makes them? A link would be cool.

The PC Patrol zaps Ebay links as soon as they appear. There are six stovebolt HEI distributors on Ebay right now. Search "235 Chevy HEI distributor".
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: HEI conversion [Re: hoozat] #1057096 Thu Sep 18 2014 09:42 PM
H
hoozat Offline OP
Shop Shark
Geez, I started a whole topic of discussion here, didnt I?? I bought my new HEI on ebay from swapmeetparts.com ....I had a regular stock distributor and I bought one of those 90.00 pertronix setups and installed it and it worked fine in my original 216 motor, but now Im just finishing up my 235 build and Im putting all new everything including a new late model HEI in it, so Im real excited to see and hear this motor run

Re: HEI conversion [Re: hoozat] #1057147 Fri Sep 19 2014 01:21 AM
D
Deve Offline
Gas Pumper
Its funny how hard it is to get information out of some people. Here is the problem.. and I know its me, but maybe others have the same brain damage I do. So lets ask...

1) Langdon has an HEI distributor that looks more original. What are the drawbacks of Toms distributor?

2) Since our 261 engines top out at about 3000 +/- rpm, what is the REAL differences between a Pertronix breakerless setup and the best HEI setup out there for this particular application?

3) I don't like purchasing something so important to the project on Ebay. They can go away without notice. Is there a part number from a reputable company where I can order the actual GM HEI with wires and everything I need, or what is the answer for such a low RPM stovebolt engine that worked pretty decently with breaker points. I just want to remove the mechanical aspect of points for greater reliability and less maintenance. How hard can it be? LOL! PM me if you have an idea you don't want to say. smile

As anyone paying attention knows, Deve here can make anything out of nothing. Sometimes I don't like to be bothered with mundane tasks when I have other things to do. I just want to call up a company and order something. I like Ebay for stuff I am doing and do not expect that person to ever place their wares on Ebay again. Ebay means ZERO reliability as far as longevity. That's why there are Ebay police. We can do better here on the Stovebolt and rely on real vendors selling parts now AND in the future. If companies are on Ebay, decent reliable ones also have their own website and ability to do business off ebay. /offthedamsoapbox

Where do I purchase a GM dist and HEI wires/whateverelseIneed? You are smart enough to just spit out the answer, I know you are. Just relax, and come right out with it!

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop