The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (3B, Justhorsenround, Evan Krueger, coilover, Gooberdog, 2 invisible), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,081
Posts1,037,106
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1048397 Sun Aug 10 2014 10:04 PM
P
New Guy
My 60 Apache has a 235 and 3 speed manual installed. I want to switch to a V8 small block, but research into this has only confused me.
For some reason, I cant find any source for motor mounts. The places Ive checked carry mounts for all years EXCEPT 60-62. Did the V8 come with the front horseshoe mount (impossible to find), or does somebody out there make perches and side mounts?

If I stay with the manual transmission, does this mean I need a V8 bellhousing that mounts to the frame, as well has having the clutch fork (hydraulic) on the passenger side? All the V8 bellhousings Ive seen have the clutch fork on the driver side and no mounts (meaning a rear crossmember is required).

And finally, since the V8 is shorter than the six, the engine must mount in the right spot to make sure the driveshaft length doesn't have to change.

Im hoping somebody has done this same swap and can clear up some of this mystery for me.

- Phil

B
'Bolter
Phil,
I know you asked for swap advice but I would like offer just plain advice as a fellow '60 Apache owner. Think long & hard before you ditch the 6. If I had the funds back high school (1977) mine would have have a V-8. Now as both 'ol blue & I near our 55 birthdays I never once wish I have made the swap. There are many posts on this subject if you are set a 'V' and you'll get any help need here on the forum.

BC

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 3.73 dana 44
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
H
Shop Shark
Phil, check out persh.org

They have mounts to convert. Finding factory ones is darn near impossible. Best of luck to you.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
P
New Guy
thanks for the advice guys, I'll take a look at persh.org and see if I want to try to tackle this, or as BC suggests, just stay with the 6 for a while. I just fear that rear seal leak ;-0

And BC, I too am the same age as the truck, graduated in 1978.

S
'Bolter
I guess I'll play the devil's advocate. I swapped the out the 235 for a 283 in my '62 and have never looked back. Found the horseshoe mount and the correct bellhousing, freshened up the clutch and have been rolling ever since.

F
Extreme Gabster
the 283 was an option for 1960, shouldn't be too hard to rig - and yes, most V8 bellhousings do have the mounts, look at older ones, although you'll have a search to find one with the fork on the pass side for your hydraulic clutch - positioning to avoid changing the driveshaft should work because the trans won't move, but you'll need to find a fan shroud as the fan will be too far back from the rad .... might want to consult with 4-5-6 chevy trucks, owner is a member here you can find in the member list

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
T
Shop Shark
So...how were the Factory 283 get set up in the Trucks, which otherwise would have had a 235 in them?

How did the Factory deal with the 283 being so much shorter? and to solve the Fan to Radiator spacing issue?

F
Extreme Gabster
fan shrouds pretty much became standard on V8 trucks from 58 on - here's a 60, pretty hard to find that style now although they were also used on the cars back then, like the one I found for my 58 .... most folks now opt for an electric pusher instead

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
W
Shop Shark
Properly installed shroud, AND a fan spacer.

H
Shop Shark
My '65 has a 350 SBC... just yesterday at a local car show I told my wife that I kind of wish it had a straight 6..

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/...20Truck%20Stuff/DSCF2858_zps0c1d7ede.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/...20Truck%20Stuff/DSCF2859_zpsce419f40.jpg

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop