The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (joe apple, 1953 panel, marzach, DaveV, Johnny N, 1 invisible), 185 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,927
Posts960,481
Members43,518
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
just bought new door handles and they still fall off any ....
#1046463 Sat Aug 02 2014 12:45 AM
T
Wrench Fetcher
hints on how to keep the inset screws tight? Has anyone ever super glued the inset screws in? Would longer ones work? Any tips from the experts?

Thanks,

Mike Doak

Re: just bought new door handles and they still fall off any ....
Tony Soprano #1046480 Sat Aug 02 2014 02:18 AM
Master Gabster
Are you using the second screw which goes on top of the internal screw? It acts like a lock nut would.
Carl

Tony Soprano #1046539 Sat Aug 02 2014 02:12 PM
H
Shop Shark
The problem is the ill fitting female spline on the aftermarket handle, not so much the set screw. The new handle should fit very snug on the male spline on the latching mechanism, but it doesn't.

I was told to tightly form aluminum foil around the spline on the door handle mechanism stud before putting the handle on. This is supposed to tighten the fit, prevent the handle from wobbling, thus allowing the set screw to just hold the handle in place and not be subject to the torque of the handle, and thus preventing it from falling off.... FWIW, might give that a try. ohwell

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Tony Soprano #1046544 Sat Aug 02 2014 03:28 PM
F
Shop Shark
Part of the problem may be people using the handle as a closing pull. That seems to be the deal in my truck.

Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
1953 Chevrolet 3600
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Caution: Political Statement

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
52Carl #1046620 Sat Aug 02 2014 11:17 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
No I am not, I ordered the handles and they only came with one set screw. Where can I get the second screw that acts like a lock washer?
Been keeping a screw driver in truck to re tighten but that is annoying!

Thank you for the reply.

Mike Doak

Hot Rod John #1046621 Sat Aug 02 2014 11:19 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks I will try that!

FriedGreenTmater #1046622 Sat Aug 02 2014 11:19 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
Yes, I even find myself doing that!!!!!

Tony Soprano #1046648 Sun Aug 03 2014 12:58 AM
R
Shop Shark
I used plumbers tape once on a door handle set screw that kept coming loose. The fastener that actually holds the handle to the spline should be a small allen screw, that you can torque really tight. I would not use glue.
RdsLessTaken/Don

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/RdLessTaken/media/IMG_8593sm_zpsabe00cfa.jpg.html

Tony Soprano #1046658 Sun Aug 03 2014 01:21 AM
Boltergeist
Tony, I remember seeing those "back up screws" on a vendor site but probably a year ago. Probably JimCarter, Classic Parts of maybe the Truck Shop in Ca.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Hot Rod John #1046694 Sun Aug 03 2014 04:22 AM
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by Hot Rod John
The problem is the ill fitting female spline on the aftermarket handle, not so much the set screw. The new handle should fit very snug on the male spline on the latching mechanism, but it doesn't.

I was told to tightly form aluminum foil around the spline on the door handle mechanism stud before putting the handle on. This is supposed to tighten the fit, prevent the handle from wobbling, thus allowing the set screw to just hold the handle in place and not be subject to the torque of the handle, and thus preventing it from falling off.... FWIW, might give that a try. ohwell

John, I understand how the foil will take up the slop of the longitudinal grooves, but it is the horizontal annular groove on the shaft which is engaged by the set screw that keeps the handle on. The second screw, which the OP is missing, keeps the set screw tight. Now if the longitudinal grooves in the after market handles are extremely sloppy, I could see the handle falling off, but that would also prevent the handle from doing anything for him.

Carl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop