The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (55shaker, 3hansens, D$TROYER, '37 barn find, 48bigtrucks, DennisM, 2 invisible), 114 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics126,065
Posts1,018,869
Members45,419
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Inner Fender to Firewall Filler Panels
Deve #1038767 Mon Jun 30 2014 02:28 AM
D
'Bolter
Not really neat Tim. I used the original plates with the same
reproduction rubber that your used. It isn't the same shape
as the original seals, much smaller in cross section so it's
impossible for it to close up the gaps.
When I finally get around to getting the cab off for paint, I
will cut new plates to better match the contour, which will
close the gaps completely.
Weld them in?????? Might as well Deve, you're making enough
other upgrades from the factory stock truck one more shouldn't
hurt. It's a custom so customize it to your own liking.

Denny G

Deve #1038774 Mon Jun 30 2014 02:46 AM
D
Deve Offline OP
Gas Pumper
What purpose does the rubber serve other than they didn't make the plates large enough and they didn't secure the plates all around? Is there rubber between the inner fender and the cab in that area? Im reaching here because it looks like just a bad design that wasn't given enough thought. Before I weld it, I am hoping someone will speak for Chevy as to why they did it this way!

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Greg_H #1038777 Mon Jun 30 2014 03:07 AM
Bubba
Originally Posted by Greg_H
I don't know for sure but something to think about...with the cab mounted with rubber mounts, and the radiator support mounted on rubber pads, is there any chance that the front sheet metal would move around enough that eliminating all of the gap might make a stress point?

I buy Greg's speculation.

Weld them if you want, Deve.

As Denny posted: " . . . you're making enough
other upgrades from the factory stock truck one more shouldn't hurt. It's a custom so customize it to your own liking."

I do not buy the theory that it is " . . .just a bad design that wasn't given enough thought . . "

But, I am not interested in arguing or speculating or trying to convince myself or you or others.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Deve #1038778 Mon Jun 30 2014 03:07 AM
'Bolter
Anyone know when these filler panels first appeared? I have been trying to figure out what their intended purpose was. It seems like a quick fix for an 'oh crap' moment after designing was completed. Unless you are going mud bogging, as these trucks were often subjected to back in the days of farm work and dirt roads, I would just leave them off. I have seen pictures of your build and read your descriptions of meticulousity (that is a word now, I fixed it), I expect that you will not even pull that truck out of the garage until the driveway had been swept. smile
Carl

Deve #1038788 Mon Jun 30 2014 03:38 AM
D
Deve Offline OP
Gas Pumper
I buy the OH CRAP moment concept myself. But yeah, its not one of those issues that matters much, but part of what I do is honor the original build while paying homage to the different personalities that purchased it and the personal likes/dislikes of this vintage. Since Greg mentioned it, the new plan is to weld just two seams and leave the third floating. I can see a concern for a little flex where the fenders mount. It will still be very tight yet allow for some flex without tearing.

Thanks to everyone for posting. When this truck is finished, since I do all the work myself, I will have many of you to thank for helping unfreeze my brain as I find myself sitting on the fence on a lot of issues.

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Deve #1038793 Mon Jun 30 2014 03:44 AM
T
Shop Shark
my guess would be that they needed the flex room as mentioned above and used the rubber seal to give it that flex and still fill the void. Since the rubber seal was stapled on. it would have been hard to do on the truck and hard to weld them on the cab after the rubber was installed so they just screwed them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop