The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (David C., 3200apachegomez, 49choptop, Hookalatch, 66flea, 3 invisible), 288 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,204
Posts915,146
Members42,197
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fog light setup #1026039 Sun May 04 2014 02:42 AM
59ApacheGail Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hello All,

I have a very old set of sears fog lights that have only a power wire, they ground via the mount point. I know I need to wire it to a relay then a switch then the power. The problem I have is that I don't know how. I have a 4 prong relay and a toggle switch. I am trying to integrate it into my fresh stock rewire on my 59 apache. Would anyone break it down for me?

I had it wired already without a relay and it caused the old wiring setup to smoke the cab out. The fogs and my wiring is good once I removed all the toasty stuff.
Thanks in advance

Re: Fog light setup [Re: 59ApacheGail] #1026076 Sun May 04 2014 05:00 AM
J
Jim Sears Offline
Shop Shark
Find out the power needed for the 2 bulbs, amps or watts.
Make sure the bulbs and the truck are the same voltage.

You don't need to use a relay unless you really want to. You can buy a switch rated for more than the required amps and go direct with the correct gauge wire.

If you want to use the relay, make sure it is rated higher than the draw of the bulbs or you are just adding another weak link.

The relay will have 2 poles for the contacts to switch the lights and 2 poles for the coil to activate the relay.

Power from the fuse for the lights to one side of the contacts, wire to the lights from the other side of the contacts.

Power from a fuse to one side of the switch, other side of the switch to one side of the relay coil. Other side of the relay coil to ground.

Easier to just buy a correctly rated switch and wire from the light fuse through the switch to the lights.
Use heavy enough wire.

Re: Fog light setup [Re: 59ApacheGail] #1026301 Mon May 05 2014 04:12 AM
59ApacheGail Offline OP
Shop Shark
Jim thanks for the info. That was probably the issue before, I had a weak toggle wired in. I picked up a purpose built unity fog light switch with built in fuse. I also picked up a 40amp relay just to be safe.

So if I understand this correctly:

---30---
85----86
---87---
85 would be ground
86 would go from on/off switch to fuse
87 to the fogs
30 to fused power

I am using the same gauge wires I am using for my head lights (i think it is 18?

Thanks again

Angelo

Re: Fog light setup [Re: 59ApacheGail] #1027203 Thu May 08 2014 07:58 PM
59ApacheGail Offline OP
Shop Shark
My goodies arrived today.

Can anyone tell me what F B T stands for on a Unity Rotary Switch?
F and T are the outer connectors, B looks like it is the power since that is where the fuse is.

Re: Fog light setup [Re: 59ApacheGail] #1027242 Fri May 09 2014 12:19 AM
S
Steve_H Offline
Shop Shark
Field, Terminal, Battery. Odd for a relay and lights though. Is this a dimmer of some sort? I just don't know. When I tried to look up the switch it cane back as a delay wiper switch and that is not right.

Last edited by Steve_H; Fri May 09 2014 12:22 AM.

Steve H
Re: Fog light setup [Re: 59ApacheGail] #1027300 Fri May 09 2014 04:38 AM
59ApacheGail Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks Steve, it was used as a reverse light switch in the 40s. I saw variations that were labeled for heat, parking lights and hazards as well. These are similar to ark-les switches. They are really just a lighted on off switch. I chose it because I could stick it in the stock dash holes and fit a stock wiper knob over top. A fog light switch hidden in plain sight.

So next question is how do I wire that in?
B to power in F to lights T ground?

Re: Fog light setup [Re: 59ApacheGail] #1027312 Fri May 09 2014 06:09 AM
S
Steve_H Offline
Shop Shark
An Ohm meter will get the switch functions sorted. B for power sounds right and the switch is going to make a circuit from b to one post or the other when turned to the first position. The ground is through the lights. Sounds like the heater control switch in my truck. But without the resistors. Light in the knob and it looks great at night on hi. Slow speed is pretty dim and both are not visible during the day time. So use the two you need and ignore the third post it won't be used. You might need to ground the light in the knob, maybe. It might just be in the circuit when the fog lights are on. Any way an Ohm meter will help figure what post is what.

Steve H
Re: Fog light setup [Re: 59ApacheGail] #1027406 Fri May 09 2014 05:16 PM
59ApacheGail Offline OP
Shop Shark
Steve,
Thanks for the info.
Hopefully I can get this posting photos thing figured out and post my progress.

Angelo

Re: Fog light setup [Re: 59ApacheGail] #1036823 Fri Jun 20 2014 07:46 PM
59ApacheGail Offline OP
Shop Shark
Ok ...yay for me I figured out how to use photobucket.

I made myself a nice little harness and was just about to set it all up when I realized I hated the way my switch knob looked. I decided to make this lighted knob fit in as if I worked for Chevy in 1959. I am up to my third set so far and improving as I go.
First set was the really bubbly clear red set, next was the solid red set:
[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/59apache/Red_zps45371591.jpg[/IMG]

Latest set is the clear red no bubbles and they came out a lot smoother and clearer:
[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/59apache/lit_zps53ef3b11.jpg[/IMG]

The plan is to bore out the back side as the original unity knob with enough space for the inside lamp. When I install I am using the factory throttle hole, getting rid of that unity plate and the bracket.

[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/59apache/idea_zps897fc512.jpg[/IMG]

For the solid red one I will put in a 4 way flasher using single speed wiper switch at some point. Stay tuned for that one.

Still flushing out the gremlins in the tail lights for now as time permits.

Re: Fog light setup [Re: 59ApacheGail] #1037245 Mon Jun 23 2014 03:44 AM
R
Roadmarks Offline
Shop Shark
@ 59ApacheGail, Very cool work with the knobs!

Best wishes,

Les

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop