The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (ApacheFiend, WE b OLD, Highflyer), 199 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,365
Posts977,666
Members44,213
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hello from Arkansas
#1031136 Mon May 26 2014 03:25 AM
T
New Guy
Hey Y'all I'm a new guy here. I'm an old tractor nut and have a few restored tractors in my collection but I like all things old. I have a bit of mechanical and welding experience I'm a carpenter by trade. I recently found a 1951 chevy 1/2 ton with what I assume is the original 6 cyl and a 3 on the tree. The cab is decent all glass is cloudy and some cracked. the grill is chrome and needs fixed/replaced. The bed is junk.Not one part of the bed is usable. I assume it sat full of leaves/trash and held water and it all rusted out. If I get it I'd like to build a stake bed. It has mix matched wheels. One is a 16'' with hub cap clips, one is 15" with hubcap clips and the fronts are 15" with no clips and I assume newer. The guy wants $1000 and I think I can talk him down a bit. Here's the vin no. 5JP-A 5115. My wife gave me the ok to buy this and I want it bad but should I wait for a little better truck. I prefer a '48-'53 and a 3/4 or 1 ton isn't out of the question. This one is very close to home. Thanks for letting me on this forum and thanks for all the knowledge I've already picked up from reading this forum. In my opinion this is a great site.

Re: Hello from Arkansas
Thad Brown #1031207 Mon May 26 2014 02:59 PM
Boltergeist
Thad, welcome to the Stovebolt Page. Best site on the world wide web for sure.
Sounds like your truck is an original species! There is a "Vin Buster" her on the bolt. I think its in the tech tip section. Find it and it'll decipher your vin for you...and if no luck as the guys in the General truck forum or the paint and body forum.

Prices vary a little due to location. Does the truck run? If it runs 1000 isn't a bad price in my neck of the woods and if you can get it lower then there is more to spend on parts. When all said and done it depends on how deep your pockets are and just what you want to do to it. Bed condition is not an issue if you ply your trade and go stake bed. Most bolters will simply say to buy the best condition truck you can find/afford.
The glass is all "flat" glass so no outrageous prices there. If you really want a 3/4 or 1 ton then may you should pass on this one....and it may get the owner of the 1/2 to be more relenting in his price!!

You'll find plenty of help, and great folks here willing to share their knowledge. Just be sure to post the questions in the most appropriate forums.
Good luck. We're here to help. Let us know what you need. Don't forget the Swap Meet for parts wanted to buy or sale.

....wife has kin in Arkadelphia.

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]
1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]
1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #1031283 Mon May 26 2014 10:55 PM
T
New Guy
Thanks for the response. I prefer a 1/2 ton but next choice would be a 3/4 and then a 1 ton. The truck I'm lookin at doesn't run and hasn't for several years. It looks complete except the horn and air cleaner. They have the carb taped shut to keep stuff out. Also the emblems in the side of the hood are gone. Can they be had? I'll try and learn my way around this great forum and ask questions in the proper forum. It looks like y'all got all bases covered. I may try to get pics of the truck and post them.

Thad Brown #1031354 Tue May 27 2014 01:45 AM
Boltergeist
Right on Thad. Those hood side pieces and much much more is available from several vendors. There is a vendor list in the links if you click on Links in the top right of your screen. I think the general consent is to "check around" on the vendors. Prices do vary.
Looking forward to pic.

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]
1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]
1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Thad Brown #1032803 Mon Jun 02 2014 02:30 AM
B
Wrench Fetcher
I live near Pocahontas,let me know your whereabouts (A Arkansas term) .

blu1964 #1034261 Sun Jun 08 2014 02:10 PM
T
New Guy
Originally Posted by blu1964
I live near Pocahontas,let me know your whereabouts (A Arkansas term) .

Blu Sorry for the delay. I'm from Eureka Springs in NWA. Straight west of you. I was in your neck of the woods pickin up some old tractor parts a while back.

Thad Brown #1034520 Mon Jun 09 2014 05:03 PM
B
Shop Shark
Welcome to the Stove Bolt !!

1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck [SOLD]
AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell

- - In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com] - -
Thad Brown #1034590 Mon Jun 09 2014 11:35 PM
E
Shop Shark
I picked up my 50 GMC Firetruck from Berryville, then went and visited Eureka Springs for the first time. Nice area. I'm in Russellville Ar. Welcome to the forum. Jim

Thad Brown #1034640 Tue Jun 10 2014 02:37 AM
B
Wrench Fetcher
Old tractors is all we have.A friend of mine is selling off his collection,some jds,some farmall hicrops.

Thad Brown #1034641 Tue Jun 10 2014 02:38 AM
B
Wrench Fetcher
Old tractors is all we have.A friend of mine is selling off his collection,some jds,some farmall hicrops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop