The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (D B Cooper, carbking, 2ManyTrucks, Hambone, Phak1, 2 invisible), 296 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,141
Posts923,577
Members42,356
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
What to say #1016690 Tue Mar 25 2014 05:56 AM
T
The Ned Offline OP
Cruising in the Passing Lane
I've been contemplating when I should post, what I should post and how much I should say. I'll try to make it brief.

As some of you know, I've been fighting a somewhat rare and aggressive type of MDS, a form of blood cancer. My symptoms at this time are consistent with end stages of this disease.

That is not really what I want to tell you. What I want to say is a big thanks to all of you who helped me to find the answers I needed, helped me to locate those rare unobtainium parts that can be difficult to find and for all the support and encouragement provided during the restoration of the Golden Phantom.

It really turned out much better than I ever anticipated that it would. It has been awarded numerous trophies and plaques at shows big and small. Though trophies was never a goal, it's nice to see that people appreciate the effort that went into the project. I've especially enjoyed the miles of driving pleasure that it has provided me since it's completion. I've especially enjoyed getting to take part in the home comings and my one and only trip to the Stovebolt reunion in KC; it was a real blast.

I wish I could leave behind something to encourage the new bolters who are starting their projects and struggle to find the time and motivation to finish.

My favorite motto in life has always been "winners never quit and quitters never win" I think that pretty much sums it up.

Again, thanks for everything.

The Ned

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016701 Tue Mar 25 2014 10:21 AM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
I am sorry to hear of your illness, I really enjoy
your truck and being around you at the Kansas, City meeting,
I recall you also living around Eustace, Tx near my country place.. take care my friend..

Fred Scott

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016719 Tue Mar 25 2014 01:06 PM
D
Donsz Offline
Shop Shark
Ned:
You put it all in perfect perspective, that is a your gift for all of us.
Thank you,
don

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016721 Tue Mar 25 2014 01:11 PM
1953 panel Offline
Shop Shark
That's sad Ned. I too, remember meeting you in KC. Good times. You want to leave something behind to encourage others, now is the time to do that. Great thought. Keep your chin up, friend.

Leo

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016741 Tue Mar 25 2014 03:24 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Ned, Cancer in any form sucks. I for one appreciate your willingness to stand in there for the big fight. You have told us what is in your heart and I thank you for it. You obviously have passed on your love for these trucks to all you've touched. God bless you.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016747 Tue Mar 25 2014 03:42 PM
1951Chevy1Ton Offline
Shop Shark
May God bless you Ned, Your words are from the heart and have a lot of meaning. Thank You SIR!
Jerry

Jerry
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016761 Tue Mar 25 2014 04:40 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
Oh Ned. For those who have not met you, I want them to know you are such a nice, down-home kind of guy. Generous, kind and considerate.

My good old Tech Writer. Besides doing all those wonders with The Phantom, you were able to understand what in the heck I was talking about as you "volunteered" for the job.

I remember the first Homecoming you came too. You were the first person I ever took "Gatoring" through the woods. (Brave fellow ... you probably should have done the driving.)

Rest in comfort if you can. You have left a lot of wonderful footprints in the sand.

You are still in our prayers.

Peggy

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016782 Tue Mar 25 2014 06:04 PM
N
Napco Man Offline
Shop Shark
Sorry to hear the news Ned. It was a pleasure to meet you at my only trip to KC. You are a great Bolter with a beautiful ride. Good luck and God Speed in your battle.

God Bless,
George

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016816 Tue Mar 25 2014 08:18 PM
T
TrknGMC Offline
Bondo Artiste
Well wishes for you Ned. I enjoyed meeting you at Homecoming a few years back. Prayers for you my brother.

Phillip
1927 Chevy Capital 1 Ton truck - basket case
1941 Chevy Suburban - Parts only
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver
1946 Chevy COE - Might restore one day...

https://photos.google.com/u/1/albums
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016835 Tue Mar 25 2014 09:29 PM
M
Mike Roache Offline
Shop Shark
Ned, There are no words that can ease what you are going through. I hope that you find comfort in knowing that what you have accomplished in life has not gone unnoticed. You are in some ways an inpiration to some that would like to accomplish the same in life. By showing that a project can be seen through with success. I only hope that I can pass on a little piece of me to my Family and Friends as you have. Gods speed my friend, ODSS Brother Michael Roache.

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016857 Tue Mar 25 2014 10:16 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Ned, as others have touched your life, you have also touched us. Thank you for taking the time to spend a night, and some of your precious time, here with Victoria and I. We always wished you could have stayed a little longer.
I know you will take on your situation the same as your panel. You will see it through and do the best you can. You are certainly on our prayer list my friend. We are richer for having known you so well.

It was you that gave me hopes of doing some traveling in my panel, like you did in yours after Kansas City a couple years ago. THANK YOU, Ned.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016864 Tue Mar 25 2014 10:30 PM
Tiny Online
Global Mod
Wow Ned! I've not had the honor to meet you in person to my loss. Prayers are headed to you and your family. God bless.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1016898 Wed Mar 26 2014 12:38 AM
Hambone Online
Shop Shark
Ned, I hope it appropriate and heartening that we find a special rock for the ODSS garden and maybe a bit extra on the Homecoming fire. Whether you knew it or not, your steady ways helped me to finish my truck. I enjoyed our time together during Homecoming. May your winds be fair and your seas following.
Hambone

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1017001 Wed Mar 26 2014 05:41 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Ned, I've never met you, but your words today moved me. You remind me of a man who was instrumental to me in regards to my life's direction. He has had to deal with just about every health problem that I can think of and has never quit. I was speaking to him several years ago when he was in real bad shape and he asked me, "Who's going to do all this kind of work after I'm gone?" I thought about it for a while and I told him, "to just think about all of the individuals that you have unselfishly shared everything that you know." "That's who."
No worries Ned, sounds to me like you have touched a lot of lives, and for that you should feel happy.

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1017003 Wed Mar 26 2014 05:52 AM
M
MexicoSab Offline
Shop Shark
I don't know you either Ned, but I wish I did. You sound like a real neat guy.

Sabrina
'54 3100

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1017016 Wed Mar 26 2014 10:40 AM
SWEET Offline
ODSS Lawman
Ned

I'm sorry to hear about your health. Keep fighting Brother!! I am glad we had a chance to cross paths at Homecoming. Your truck is amazing and an inspiration.

I'm a better person to have met you.

SWEET
Sergeant At Arms
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society

BUNS?!?!?! Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....

1950 GMC 450 (25% owner)
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1017029 Wed Mar 26 2014 01:19 PM
B
Bill Marlow Offline
Camp Commandant
Ned, I very much enjoyed meeting you at Homecoming a couple years ago. I can clearly remember the night around the camp fire and the stories we shared. As others have said, your panel turned out amazing and quite honestly changed my opinion about them. Until seeing yours in person I never really considered owning one. If I was to come across a one toner like yours in good shape, I may just have to grab it!
When restoring my cabover, I too never even considered taking it to cars shows or winning atrophy. I did it just for the fun of it and for the hopes of putting it in my old neighborhood parade. I have been fortunate to win a couple trophies over the years but much more meaningful to me is the hope that the truck and my journey with it has inspired someone else. Without a doubt, your restoration of the Golden Phantom has done the same. Equally commendable is, that not only did you see your project through but you got it out on the road, logged many miles with it and enjoyed the fruits of all your blood, sweat and tears.
I am truly sorry that life has dealt you this hand but I pray that you will have solace in the many lives that you have touched, your family and friends and the good that you have had with all.
God Speed Ned.
Ride On Golden Phantom

Billy
Exotic Animal Division

1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton COE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q26XBoHtZH8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pj1WsnppKFAgAnvZ7

1959 GMC 860
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zu3Uf7Z7qocTGJvA9

50 GMC 450 Flatbed W/W, Air Brake equipt (25% Owner)
https://youtu.be/Alw3UWzqFVU

1950 Chevrolet 3800
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jNCZiHK9QGyBs5Ko7

“ I’ve got a trailer and I’m not afraid to use it! “
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1017294 Thu Mar 27 2014 03:09 AM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
Ned,

I to am sorry to hear the news and I wish you well in your journey. This fellowship we have developed on this site has made us all grow into something more special than any of us ever dreamed it would. It's turned into a living thing and we are all brothers and sisters in something very special. Trucks brought us together, but it's the special people like you that make us come back for more.

God Speed...

Mike B smile

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1018019 Sat Mar 29 2014 06:29 PM
Cosmo Offline
ODSS President
Ned,

So many fine words have been said about your impact on us all, all true. I am one of the lucky that have met you in person and have seen your fine work on that one ton and benefited from your inquisitiveness and help with my dual carb conversion.

You seem to have met your fate in life with the dignity and intelligence I hope to have when I will someday face that challenge. You will always be an inspiration for what you have done with the vision and completion of your truck and more importantly how you have led your life.

You may think you will take that last ride in your one ton alone but be assured brother, we will all ride with you in spirit on that journey.

Signed,

An admirer and Stovebolt brother,

Cosmo

Cosmo

"...my good horse Rozinante ('49 Chevy Half Ton), mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1018121 Sun Mar 30 2014 03:37 AM
J
Jim Bow Offline
Shop Shark
Couldn't say anything that matches what the folks above have said.
I've never met you, but have always been a huge fan of your big panel truck. The work is a measure of the man, I'm sure.

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1018129 Sun Mar 30 2014 04:23 AM
2-Ton Offline
Shop Shark
Ned
I too am Sorry to hear the battle you and your family are facing and I wish you well in your journey.
At the Stove Bolt reunion 2-1/2 years ago, we sat outside the hotel talking about engineering, machine shops, designing and nuclear maintinance.
I know we talked for almost 2 hours and nobody else new much about what we were talking about.
You are one of the very rare people I have met, outside of some I work with, that can hold a conversation like that.
And do the type of job, you and I have both done.

By the way, Callaway will be getting a new reactor head this fall and I hope to be a big part of getting the old one out and the new one in. Wish they would have put it in the budget, for new stud tensioners though.

Not much RCP work then, just one seal change out and the moter PM's.
There is also the new dry cast storage system going in and I turned down being a coordinator for that job already.

Here, I'm talking shop again.
Asked about you last fall in KC and hope you can make it this fall to KC.

Best to you and your family,
Don & Vicki King

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1018328 Mon Mar 31 2014 01:45 AM
R
Rich'sToys Offline
Shop Shark
We also have never met.
I can't add anything to what's already been said.
Best of luck to you and God Bless!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

One of the biggest problems facing the world today is apathy. But who cares?

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1018440 Mon Mar 31 2014 02:41 PM
H
hotshoe36 Offline
Shop Shark
"I wish I could leave behind something to encourage the new bolters who are starting their projects and struggle to find the time and motivation to finish."

You've done it, Ned.

1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1019317 Fri Apr 04 2014 02:15 AM
S
Stranger Offline
Shop Shark
I have never met you but have read your post from time to time. People can touch people and never meet them. As Hotshoe36 said, You've done it! God Bless You!

Stranger
Frank in Iowa

1955 Second Series Chevrolet Shortbox NAPCO with a Rockwell Transfer Case
"Mater's Cousin"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket
Re: What to say [Re: Stranger] #1019779 Sun Apr 06 2014 11:21 AM
T
TPR57C Offline
Shop Shark
you have kept the dream alive god be with you

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1020216 Tue Apr 08 2014 02:30 AM
L
Lovett Offline
Riding in the Passing Lane
I don't know you either. I wish you the best with what you have to endure.

Davey Lovett

1967 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Pickup
In the Stovebolt Gallery

+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+

I'm not sure if I was ever as good as I thought I was, but I know I'm not as good as I used to be.

I've forgotten more than I ever knew. Okay, where did I put it?

A man can never have enough tools

davey
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1021142 Sat Apr 12 2014 05:06 AM
J
J Lucas Offline
Shop Shark
Ned, I'm very glad that you made it to the reunion in Kansas City and were able to bring your panel as well. It was a great time meeting with you and the other "Bolters".

As far as your panel goes, you set the bar with your stunning restoration and I really doubt that I'll ever see another one as nice again.

Our prayers are with you and your family.

John and Theresa Lucas

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos!

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1023899 Thu Apr 24 2014 02:28 AM
L
Lovett Offline
How is Ned doing?

davey

In the Stovebolt Gallery

I'm not sure if I was ever as good as I thought I was, but I know I'm not as good as I used to be.

davey
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1024526 Sun Apr 27 2014 07:17 AM
M
MexicoSab Offline
Shop Shark
Ned, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

I wish I had had the opportunity to meet you and visit a bit.

Sabrina
'54 3100

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1025217 Wed Apr 30 2014 03:14 AM
S
Sedgewick Offline
Shop Shark
We don't know each other my friend but from what I have just read we do. We have a common interest in these old trucks and things you have done will inspire those who follow us. Keep the faith and keep positive is all I can say. Two family members were diagnosed with terminal cancer - one being my son. Both fought the odds and won. You will win too.
God Bless.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1025733 Fri May 02 2014 04:13 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
Just wanted to add in here to be sure this thread doesn't get cut off when we do the Spoon de-greasing.

We certainly missed Ned at Homecoming. Hope to talk to him soon.

Peg

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1026013 Sun May 04 2014 01:29 AM
L
Lovett Offline
Please keep the thread open. Hope Ned is fairing well.

davey

In the Stovebolt Gallery

davey
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1028157 Mon May 12 2014 06:20 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
I left a message on his voice mail the other day. I will keep trying.

Peg

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1029086 Fri May 16 2014 05:20 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
Just to let you all know I just got a call from The Ned. He sounded real good on the phone. He's involved in a study with University of Maryland hospital in a drug test to help with leukemia. He said when he started this thread, he was feeling really bad. This drug they are testing, although the results are uncertain, whatever they are doing to help him feel better ... THAT part is working.

He also related a story that is so Ned. He had taken The Golden Phantom to some property that was being cleared, a good bit muddy ... and got the truck all dirty. I mean seriously muddy. One fellow needed to pull him out of the mud but he didn't want to bring his newer 4x4 down the road. But that didn't stop Ned. He said you wouldn't have recognized the truck.

I told him he needed some pictures of all that. I think we would have been able to hear Alvin scream from all the way down there in South Carolina! grin

He had hoped to come to Homecoming but the doctors wouldn't turn him loose. I told him I kept watching the road ... it would not have surprised me for him to just show up!

He doesn't have access to a computer while he's at the hospital; and his computer at home bailed on him. Once he gets out, I'm sure he'll find a way to get back in to talk to everyone. In the meantime, he wanted to thank everyone for their kind remarks and well-wishes.

Ned had been doing the Tech Tips for a good while, and before we got off the phone, he had to give me a few pointers! (Getting them done is a good pointer!)

Will report more as we hear more.

Peg

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1029189 Sat May 17 2014 02:04 AM
L
Lovett Offline
Thanks Peg. I hope his new therapy works out.

davey

In the Stovebolt Gallery

davey
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1029628 Mon May 19 2014 03:01 AM
T
The Ned Offline OP
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Thanks Peg... I've managed to convince doctors to free me, for at least a few days, depending on how things go. The stay in the hospital was like an amalgamation of a clockwork orange, ground hog day and a half dozen of other weird movies. I honestly began to doubt my own sanity, but thank God I've made it home.

Regarding "also related a story that is so Ned" ... No I didn't get the Golden Phantom stuck, but my Dodge did manage to fall into bottomless pit which required a skid loader to free it and get it onto my property where it will finish it's life as a useful tool on my mountain land. I had taken the Phantom along as a place to stay and as transportation home. Locals had seen me cruising the hills and couldn't believe that such an old truck was reported in the area. The roads were exceptionally muddy with ruts so deep that I was fortunate not to get stuck. Anyway the locals had reported seeing me in the area, which they were certain had been a mistake. So to confirm or deny the sightings a group of loggers set out to find me. Rather than risk loosing the logging crews new 4x4, they piled in the skid loader and came looking. It was fortunate for me, because when they found me I was desperately trying to rescue my dodge 4x4. I'm certain it would of cost me hundreds of dollars to hire someone to do it, but they easily accomplished the task with the loader. I don't know much about logging equipment but this was a huge articulated tractor with a large blade and floatation tires that must of stood 5 ft tall and easily pushed the dodge onto my property, while refusing to take monies from me. They were shocked to find there really was a 63 yr old phantom there as well. The Golden Phantom had handled the exceptionally muddy and rutted road without a hint of trouble. By the time I was loaded up and on my home, the truck was so muddied that you couldn't tell what color it was. I wished I had a camera.

I resume my chemo this week and pray to avoid anymore hospital stays. The clinical trial doesn't offer a cure, but if successful, may extend the misery a few months.

One more time, thanks to all of my bolter friends. Especially Peg who is the life blood of the bolt.

Last edited by The Ned; Wed May 21 2014 12:12 PM. Reason: Typos
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1029630 Mon May 19 2014 03:07 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Ned, so glad to hear from you. Glad you and the Phantom got back to "high ground" safe and sound. Man, if I'd known where you were I'd have returned the visit when I came up for the homecoming. Faith can move mountains Ned. We're in your corner.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1029942 Tue May 20 2014 08:56 AM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
nice to hear from you, wishing you the best my friend,

Fred

Redryder

My Hotrod

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1030173 Wed May 21 2014 12:03 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
Oh sorry about goofing up the story. BUT ... you did a far better job of telling the truth anyway! wink

Glad to see your fingers are still doing the talking. Drop in as you can and tell us more of your mountainman adventures.

Peg

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1030516 Fri May 23 2014 12:42 AM
L
Lovett Offline
I hope your treatments work and keep you out of the hospital.

davey

In the Stovebolt Gallery

davey
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1050406 Mon Aug 18 2014 08:42 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
Just had a nice, long talk with Ned. He's getting blood transfusions regularly (daily or thereabouts). Sometimes, it takes up his whole day.

He sounded in good spirits. His daughter has been around a good bit to help out. They actually got the Phantom out not too long ago (he may have written about it in here).

They are giving him some experimental drug that they hope may get him up and about a bit more. He's tired a lot, which is understandable. And, as it does happen, when you feel some energy, you USE IT ... and then you are tired again - but THAT'S a GOOD tired!

He said if the treatments work as they "kinda project," he thought he'd like to come to Winchester. It's not too far from home. Give him a chance to get The Phantom out and see some of his friends at Camp Stovebolt.

We're still pulling for you Ned.

Pegy

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1050421 Mon Aug 18 2014 10:20 PM
Tiny Online
Global Mod
God Speed Ned!

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1050451 Tue Aug 19 2014 01:15 AM
J
Jim Bow Offline
Shop Shark
The Phantom is such a glorious rig.

Keep on truckin', Ned!

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1050538 Tue Aug 19 2014 01:40 PM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
wishing you the best my friend

Redryder

My Hotrod

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1051008 Thu Aug 21 2014 11:40 PM
L
Lovett Offline
Wishing you the very best with your treatments and especially your recovery.

davey

In the Stovebolt Gallery

davey
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1051012 Fri Aug 22 2014 12:13 AM
M
MexicoSab Offline
Shop Shark
Positive thoughts headed your way,

Sabrina

Sabrina
'54 3100

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1062726 Fri Oct 17 2014 12:55 AM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
Just wanted to report that I talked to Ned tonight for just a short while. He sounded okay on the phone but he is not doing well at all. He and the doctors are starting to talk about sending him home, and keeping him comfortable. We lost the connection after that, so I hope to hear from him over the weekend.

Will keep you posted when I hear more.

Peg

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1062807 Fri Oct 17 2014 01:06 PM
Tiny Online
Global Mod
Not good news, thanks Peggy.

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1062822 Fri Oct 17 2014 02:46 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Hope they are keeping him comfortable and as pain free as possible. Prayers his way for sure.

Martin

Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1073437 Mon Dec 15 2014 03:12 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
I had been trying to reach Ned for over a month and getting the same weird phone message. He has been on my mind lately and I knew I needed to keep trying. So, I hated the thought of doing this, but figured it was the one way to rule this idea out.

But I was wrong ...

"Ned L. Messerschmidt Jr., 61, of Orchard Beach, passed away at 2:09 a.m., Friday, Nov. 7, 2014 at his home."

The last we did talk, he sounded chipper. He was glad to be home. He was getting very tired of the blood transfusions almost every day - since they would take up his entire day.

There was not other obituary written (that I could find) but The Ned left us a nice "I'm passing" wave note with this thread.

See you on the other side, still doing 55 Ned. ~ John and Peg

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1073453 Mon Dec 15 2014 04:48 PM
T
TrknGMC Offline
Bondo Artiste
Dang.............

Phillip

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1073459 Mon Dec 15 2014 05:47 PM
B
Bill Marlow Offline
Camp Commandant
Sorry to hear about Ned's passing but at least he is no longer in pain and no longer suffering.
Ned was a true Bolter, I wish I had had the opportunity to get to know him a little better.

Billy
Exotic Animal Division

1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton COE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q26XBoHtZH8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pj1WsnppKFAgAnvZ7

1959 GMC 860
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zu3Uf7Z7qocTGJvA9

50 GMC 450 Flatbed W/W, Air Brake equipt (25% Owner)
https://youtu.be/Alw3UWzqFVU

1950 Chevrolet 3800
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jNCZiHK9QGyBs5Ko7

“ I’ve got a trailer and I’m not afraid to use it! “
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1073497 Mon Dec 15 2014 09:32 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
For those of you who have not read the beginning of this thread, you may want to. It is a fine testimony to this man ... and only the parts we knew! I'm sure he left an impression in many circles.

And the Golden Phantom ... reading the story and seeing the photos, yet another reminder of the man we shared special time with.

I'm glad I went back and read it again. He still brings a smile to my face and a good feeling inside.

Peg

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1073524 Tue Dec 16 2014 12:09 AM
SWEET Offline
ODSS Lawman
I am glad to know that Ned is in the better place and is no longer plagued with the challenges he endured here on Earth. I am also thankful that I had a change to meet Ned a few times and wished we had time for more.

His truck was done very well and I enjoyed hearing about his project.

Rest In Peace Brother

SWEET
Sergeant At Arms

BUNS?!?!?! Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....

1950 GMC 450 (25% owner)
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1073579 Tue Dec 16 2014 05:05 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Peggy, thanks for following up for us. During Ned's stay with us a while back he looked at my panel project and told me I needed to finish it up and drive it to the homecoming.....just like Bill Alderson wanted me to drive it to Kansas. I'm sorry neither got to see it finished but I am thankful for the encouragement to get it done. So, if they're looking over our shoulders, it happened guys. Thanks for your contributions. The Golden Phantom will always be remembered sitting in the yard here and bring to remembrance a time well remembered. RIP Ned.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1073628 Tue Dec 16 2014 03:39 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Peace to Ned's family. RIP Ned Messerschmidt Jr.

Martin

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1073909 Thu Dec 18 2014 02:26 AM
2-Ton Offline
Shop Shark
Sorry but I'm going to swear.
darn, what a deep loss!
Ned brought the Phantom to KC a couple years ago.
Him and I sat on the picnic table and talked over 2 hours about things, that I don't often get to talk about. Ned had a fantastic mind for learning and sharing his knowledge.

Truly will be missed.

RIP Ned

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1074303 Fri Dec 19 2014 08:25 PM
Tiny Online
Global Mod
I'm so sorry to hear of Ned's passing. A sad day indeed.

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1074486 Sat Dec 20 2014 08:43 PM
Cosmo Offline
ODSS President
See you on the other side Ned.

Cosmo

"...my good horse Rozinante ('49 Chevy Half Ton), mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1076149 Tue Dec 30 2014 02:51 PM
1953 panel Offline
Shop Shark
Just saw this, that's a shame to die so young. I just met him the one time in KC. He kept heading west after the event was over. I'm glad he was able to see some of the people he went to visit, some visits were overdue, he told me. He was the reason that I took my panel to KC the following year.

Leo

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1078106 Thu Jan 08 2015 10:53 PM
1953 panel Offline
Shop Shark

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1091045 Thu Mar 12 2015 08:59 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
Wow, Leo - that's a very nice photo of Ned. I'll have to see if I can find one to add also - probably from Homecoming. He's a lot more smiley most of the time. I use to talk to him on a regular basis as he was working through a tech tip. After he got sick, we talked while I folded laundry. He stayed in good spirits despite all that was going on to him. As we approach Homecoming 2015, I know I will be on the lookout for him, just out of habit. Kinda like calling my Dad ... which won't happen any more either.

Peg

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1102180 Tue May 12 2015 01:44 AM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
so sorry to hear of Ned's passing, a real nice guy
and such a pleasure to meet him in KC
he told me he once lived in Tx, about 8 miles from our country place RIP

Redryder

My Hotrod

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1127508 Fri Oct 02 2015 03:24 PM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
Ned would have been 62 today, such a great guy.. rip

Redryder

My Hotrod

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1127556 Fri Oct 02 2015 06:50 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
He truly was ... and fun, too.

So far Fred, it's good to see we don't have a lot of threads in here!

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1129132 Mon Oct 12 2015 05:26 PM
Rusty Rod Offline
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
RIP.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1185171 Sun Oct 02 2016 02:56 PM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you
on your birthday
we will never forget you, RIP my friend

Last edited by joker; Sun Oct 02 2016 02:56 PM.

Redryder

My Hotrod

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1185176 Sun Oct 02 2016 03:44 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
Yes, we are thinking of you, Ned

I never met you, except through your posts and the Gallery.

RIP

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1185243 Mon Oct 03 2016 01:42 AM
T
TrknGMC Offline
Bondo Artiste
Yep. I'm gonna miss talking with him when I attempt to put by my Burb back together, Godspeed brother Ned.

Phillip

Re: What to say [Re: The Ned] #1185266 Mon Oct 03 2016 03:25 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
When Ned stopped by the house for a couple days he had adopted a small kitty cat from somewhere and was caring for it. That's the kind of guy Ned was. Think of you quite often. RIP we do miss you.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop