The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thinking again ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (Paul_WNC, D B Cooper), 68 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,583
Posts1,032,706
Members45,812
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
'59 Fleetside Brake Questions
#1016392 Mon Mar 24 2014 01:41 AM
J
Wrench Fetcher
I located the brake plug in the cab on floor through grommet. The plastic lid on the reservoir won't budge. Any tricks to loosen the cap up? I'd prefer not to destroy it. Does it take the usual brake fluid? My brakes went to the floor in the driveway and I figure the fluid is gone. Will I need to bleed the brakes after filling if air got in lines?
Thanks.

Re: '59 Fleetside Brake Questions
JackAttack #1016536 Mon Mar 24 2014 05:54 PM
C
Shop Shark
I'm not familiar with the cap on your '59 master cylinder, the one on my '55 is metal and a 7/8? socket fits it. Some times you can use a punch and hammer to get the cap turning. If the brake fluid leaked out of the master cyl, then it is definatly bad and needs replaced/rebuilt. Check the fittings and lines for leakage also. And if the cylinder is empty it will need to be bled when you fill it up.

JackAttack #1018349 Mon Mar 31 2014 02:30 AM
Shop Shark
I don't think that is plastic, I think it is hard rubber over metal. I used silicone spray on mine to limber it up. You can probably push it up from underneath if you go nice and easy.

I found a $20 kit to rebuild my master cylinder and they also sell kits to rebuild the wheel cylinders. I used DOT3 Brake fluid (bleed the old fluid out, after a while it holds moisture)

Last edited by 59ApacheGail; Mon Mar 31 2014 02:31 AM.
JackAttack #1018360 Mon Mar 31 2014 02:52 AM
L
Master Gabster
The factory cap would be metal, usually with a 3/4" square head on it, though I have seen a few with a hex head. The plastic one is an aftermarket replacement. It should have 2 tabs on it, like a wingnut, to allow for getting ahold of it for install/removal. You may have to resort to the punch and hammer method to get it loose. Replacement caps (plastic) are available from the parts stores, though you will have to order it.
DOT 3 is the correct fluid. I would suggest filling the system, bleed it, then check for leaks. If the fluid is indeed low, you most likely have a leak somewhere, possibly the master or wheel cylinders if you do not see anything obvious.

Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop