The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (LakotaKid, MNSmith, Elmo, lgoodso1, 2 invisible), 291 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,666
Posts919,162
Members42,311
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I Want to buy a new wiring harness #1015562 Thu Mar 20 2014 03:52 AM
W
Wreckin' Ball Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hello everyone,

I am looking to replace the wiring harness on my 1949 4100 dump truck. I'm not wanting to replace it with a cloth wire harness, regular new style wiring is fine with me.

Where is the best place to purchase a harness? I would like to buy one with the ability to add turn signals and I have lights on the top of the truck.

Any help would be welcomed!

Thanks,
Wreckin' ball

Wreckin' Ball

I'm gonna need a bigger hammer!!!
Re: I Want to buy a new wiring harness [Re: Wreckin' Ball] #1015563 Thu Mar 20 2014 03:54 AM
W
Wreckin' Ball Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
One added thing, /i would like to convert it to 12 volt at the same time.

Wreckin' Ball

Re: I Want to buy a new wiring harness [Re: Wreckin' Ball] #1015569 Thu Mar 20 2014 04:30 AM
F
Flxible Offline
Extreme Gabster
any of the vendors will have what you need, and they're pretty much alike so I'd suggest go for price and closeness to save on shipping, maybe Jim Carter? ... most all of them have the turn signal wires added or have separate kits for the actual signal unit - voltage doesn't matter [6V wires are heavier, a good feature], but I think the clearance lights will need to be added, none of the kits will have provision for those

Bill

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Re: I Want to buy a new wiring harness [Re: Wreckin' Ball] #1015791 Fri Mar 21 2014 02:29 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: I Want to buy a new wiring harness [Re: Wreckin' Ball] #1015831 Fri Mar 21 2014 05:21 AM
L
Lightholder's Dad Offline
Shop Shark
Regarding the clearance lights (lights on top of the cab), you will need to run a wire from the tailight terminal on your light switch, up the driver's side A-pillar, along side the dome light wire, to your lights above the headliner. That way they will come on whenever you have your park lights or headlights on.

Kent

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Re: I Want to buy a new wiring harness [Re: Wreckin' Ball] #1018199 Sun Mar 30 2014 05:16 PM
W
Wreckin' Ball Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thank you for the information guys!

Wreckin' Ball

Re: I Want to buy a new wiring harness [Re: Wreckin' Ball] #1021334 Sun Apr 13 2014 05:29 AM
S
Sedgewick Offline
Shop Shark
Spoke to a harness manufacturer last week at the Portland Swap Meet and asked why I could not buy a basic wiring harness that would replicate my original wiring. Everyone I have seen has the GM column, power windows, radio and so forth as part of the kit. He agreed and has been asking his company why they won't build one and has never had an answer. This has been a problem for me for 15 years and that is why I elected to build my own. These trucks are very simple and the schematic in the shop manual lays it all out. My truck is 12 volt and I merely used the wire gauge specified on the schematic. good wire, good terminals and a good crimper is all it takes. My biggest problem is accessing the wires under the dash and its a problem I still would have with a kit.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop