The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (DennisM, SH Miller, homer52, CrowbarBob, coilover, 3B), 125 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,469
Posts965,627
Members43,681
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
General Shifting Troubleshooting
#1007875 Mon Feb 17 2014 05:27 PM
D
Wrench Fetcher
Hi all,

I wanted to ask a simple question, considering I am new to owning a '54 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton pickup truck. I did some research on my tranny grinding when put into first from a stop, and learned about 'jimmying' it into second/third to reset the assembly before putting into first gear, which solved my problem of the grinding noise, however, I want to know, how on earth do I fix this so I don't have to slightly pop it into second/third before going back into first from a dead stop. (Adjust column shifter, clutch pedal, gearbox assembly, worn parts/levers/forks, worn gears??)

I have the truck shop manual and factory assembly manual for reference, but like I said, I am completely new to this truck, so just a little advice from the experienced on where to start would be great. Also, I can post pictures of any progress in order to help and be helped.

Thanks very much in advanced!
-Rafael

Psalm 32:8
Re: General Shifting Troubleshooting
DeanThe54Chevy #1007884 Mon Feb 17 2014 06:20 PM
D
Shop Shark
I would start by adjusting the clutch, that usually helps.

DeanThe54Chevy #1007885 Mon Feb 17 2014 06:23 PM
D
Wrench Fetcher
And by clutch, the clutch pedal correct? or the lever assebly outside the gearbox (Driver's Side)?

Thanks!

DeanThe54Chevy #1007886 Mon Feb 17 2014 06:26 PM
H
Boltergeist
Adjust the clutch. The reason putting the transmission into 2nd. solves the problem is that it stops the cluster gear from turning in neutral. Quickly pulling the box into 1st. lets you change gears before the cluster spins up again. The clutch disc is dragging the flywheel slightly, which allows the cluster gear to spin, and the non-synchronized 1st.-reverse sliding gear clashes with the 1st. reduction gear.

Adjust the free play at the top of the pedal so there's about 3/4" of movement before the pedal gets hard to push by changing the length of the threaded rod bolted to the yoke that sticks out of the hole in the bellhousing. Your grinding problem will almost certainly go away.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
DeanThe54Chevy #1007887 Mon Feb 17 2014 06:30 PM
D
Wrench Fetcher
Great! Definitely makes sense with the what I am reading in the book (learning the jargin is key). Thanks for the quick response. I'll get to work on it right away. I'll ask for more help if anything comes up.

Thanks once again!
Rafael

DeanThe54Chevy #1007890 Mon Feb 17 2014 06:39 PM
H
Boltergeist
Also, be sure there's a return spring on the clutch linkage. If the weight of the pedal causes the throwout bearing to spin all the time, there won't be any free pedal, and the throwout will wear out quickly. My grandfather used to use the clutch pedal as a footrest, and we put clutches in his car pretty regularly!
Jerry

DeanThe54Chevy #1007891 Mon Feb 17 2014 06:54 PM
D
Wrench Fetcher
Haha my father was giving me a hard time for riding the clutch when I first started driving stick.

Just in case I have to replace the throwout bearing, the truck shop manual states I need to remove the transmission. Big step for me! But, are there any links/posts that have pictures of removal and assembly for tranny in these '54's?

Also, I've read there are certain tools for the clutch and even tranny (i.e. clutch pilot tool K-411), are these still available in kits?

Thanks!

DeanThe54Chevy #1007916 Mon Feb 17 2014 09:06 PM
H
Boltergeist
Most clutch repair kits include a new/rebuilt clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and sometimes a pilot bushing, and a plastic alignment tool that duplicates the front of the transmission shaft. I've used whittled-down broomsticks as alignment shafts for years- - - -most of the broom handles in the shop ended up about 6 inches short eventually! The idea is to get the center spline of the clutch disc aligned with the pilot bushing before bolting the pressure plate onto the flywheel.
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; Mon Feb 17 2014 09:07 PM.

DeanThe54Chevy #1007975 Tue Feb 18 2014 12:48 AM
W
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by DeanThe54Chevy
Haha my father was giving me a hard time for riding the clutch when I first started driving stick.

Just in case I have to replace the throwout bearing, the truck shop manual states I need to remove the transmission. Big step for me! But, are there any links/posts that have pictures of removal and assembly for tranny in these '54's?

Also, I've read there are certain tools for the clutch and even tranny (i.e. clutch pilot tool K-411), are these still available in kits?

Thanks!

You'll need to remove the plate in the floor, disassemble the ball and slide it back on the torque tube. Remove the 1/4" bolts holding the u-joint together and split it. Then you also have the shift linkage on a three speed. Put the tranny in neutral before removing the linkage from the shift arms. Then you can unbolt and remove the transmission itself.
When you go to reassemble, it sometimes helps to have 2 bolts with the heads cut off in the upper holes to help hold the transmission while you are trying to start the lower bolts. After you get the lower bolts started then you can remove the to cut off bolts and replace them with the regular transmission bolts.
John

DeanThe54Chevy #1008060 Tue Feb 18 2014 04:44 AM
D
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks for all the responses everyone. It still snags a little (when I kick it back into 1st gear from a dead stop), but not as bad as before. Its just a little over 3/4" of play in the pedal, should I loosen it to 1" and see if that's better? Or should I just get to digging and changing out the clutch (via clutch kit). I figure it wouldn't hurt considering I don't know if the previous owner changed it at all.

-Rafael

Last edited by DeanThe54Chevy; Tue Feb 18 2014 04:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop