The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
Since we put up promos last two weeks, we have had a bunch of activity in
The Side Lot.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you

THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: too many to list!

THE SIDE LOT.

Go see!

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Justhorsenround, Lugnutz, baldeagle, 78buckshot, 2 invisible), 132 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,102
Posts1,046,713
Members46,191
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1000867 Tue Jan 21 2014 05:43 PM
New Guy
So I would like to lower the rear of the School bus. It's a 6700 (2 ton) It has (15) leaves in the back. How many leaves can be removed before compromising stability/ride quality/handling. Thanks for the feedback.

Ted

Shop Shark
I think there are several things to consider before accepting a quick answer. Things like A. what will the intended use of the truck be? B. What will the typical load be? C. Tire size and type? D. How much do you wish to lower it? Oh so many, many others.

You'll need to determine where your going before anyone can tell you how to get there. You haven't given too much info for anyone to work with.

1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
M
'Bolter
Be carefull reducing your load capacity...if you decide to have a rolling party with 10 of your closest friends you'll be carrying close to a ton with just the people, not counting any gear or supplies. The best way to have the best of both worlds, lower and load carrying is to air bag it.

As Dave said...need more info.

Mike B smile

F
Shop Shark
I plan on doing the same thing. My bus is way oversprung for what I am going to be using it for. It was built to haul 22 people and I'm going to max out at 15. My springs are 3/8" thick and there are 12 of them. I have a local spring shop I am going to take the spring to and talk to them about what I can do to just remove and rebuild the original stack to make a softer ride and lower the stance. If you're interested in them they are:
http://www.gittspring.com/
They built my leaf spring for my T-Bucket when I did that car years ago. They do some great work. I have to get one of the springs out and take down there to discuss my plans and then can go from there.

1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobobucket
T
Shop Shark
Given that the older units (up to early '47?)were built to handle a max capacity load over mostly rough, unpaved roads, they all seem to be "oversprung" by today's standards. I am looking at eliminating a leaf or two on my '46 but will likely also have a spring shop do it. Unloaded, mine sits a good 4" high in the rear and given the construction I'm doing, it will never see anything near it's intended max load of about 3500#'s. Based on my most recent calcs, it should only come out at about 30% of max (1050#'s) even when fully wet.

But I will confess that given the budget...I'd go with airbags.

Last edited by Tango; Thu Jan 30 2014 08:36 PM.

1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
New Guy
Thanks for the information Fred. I like the idea of air bags but would rather have the suspension permanently set.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop