The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Eureka Jim, 1 invisible), 103 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,524
Posts1,041,225
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1002435 Tue Jan 28 2014 02:18 AM
P
pierrem Offline OP
New Guy
just installed new stake side painted black white oak. flat bed dump is treated wood. I want to haul and dump gravel and dirt. Any suggestions for paint, stain, rubber mat, steel plate for bed. I want the truck to look good but still want to haul stuff. Any suggestions?

thanks

pierrem #1002474 Tue Jan 28 2014 05:01 AM
C
'Bolter
If you are going to haul gravel, paint will will scratch in a hurry. We used to treat wood floors with linseed oil and it was common to put stove black in the linseed oil to make it black. However, yours is already treated. I would suggest putting sheet metal over the bed when you haul gravel and remove it when you are done. Otherwise, water will be trapped between the sheet metal and the wood.

pierrem #1002552 Tue Jan 28 2014 05:52 PM
Shop Shark
I agree completely. If you use a smooth steel floor of 11 or 12 ga. if will work well over the wood. To make it removable drill thru the wood and use welded studs under the steel that can be secured on the bottom with large washers and nuts. Also you'll need to provide for a method of lifting it for removal. Since you didn't mention the floor size that may be your biggest consideration. The steel floor will weigh about 5.5 lbs per sq. ft.

1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
pierrem #1002611 Tue Jan 28 2014 10:32 PM
J
Wrench Fetcher
There are some important unknowns here. How often will the truck be used for gravel and dirt loads? Will other loads be dumped that could cause gouging of the wood (such as rocks)? What does looking good mean, and how often could a wood bed be maintained to keep it looking good? Materials for a steel overlay will be costly; securing an overlay (with studs or flat-head bolts) will be time consuming; Putting an overlay on and removing it will be time consuming, a lot of work, and an opportunity for getting hurt; and you will need somewhere to store the overlay when not in use. I spent some of my growing up time hauling and helping to haul sand and gravel for farm roads. A wood bed works fine, but it does wear at the surface, and gouging can be a problem when shoveling is involved. So what is an afternoon of "painting" a wood bed worth compared to creating, using, and storing steel overlay panels? And, in my experience, the looking good part of working truck ownership requires more maintenance on the rest of the truck than on the bed. I do remember that linseed oil seemed to work well at keeping weather at bay, but know nothing about adding color to it. Also, what else might be hauled that would require working on the bed. Sometimes it is better not to have your load sliding around, and steel can be slick - especially when it is wet. Even gravel trucks do more than dump. They also have to stand up to loading and hauling, sometimes on rough ground and in close quarters. And they need to reliably run, go, and stop. Personally, and I know that this is just an opinion, I have much more appreciation for a well maintained working truck than a perfect show truck that is only meant for looking at.

JRMunn
pierrem #1002703 Wed Jan 29 2014 03:02 AM
P
pierrem Offline OP
New Guy
thanks for the reply's . I tend to agree with JR Munn. I have the truck looking great albeit not a show truck nor do I want it to be. I think I may clean up the wood bed and maybe paint it black and touch it up from time to time if i go to the local car show. A roller and paint probably would be easier than the steel plates etc. which i considered. thanks for the help…any other ideas!

Pierre

pierrem #1003049 Thu Jan 30 2014 09:21 PM
E
Shop Shark
I have a '46 grain truck I use as a flatbed dump. It has treated wood and I picked up a cheap gallon of deck stain (discontinued) and slathered it on. It does make a difference when dumping a load.

Ed Hotaling #1003419 Sat Feb 01 2014 03:14 AM
P
pierrem Offline OP
New Guy
how did it hold up after dumping loads?

pierrem #1003704 Sun Feb 02 2014 02:50 AM
E
Shop Shark
It's only been a few months, but it still looks good. At the paint store they had a few gallons of mis-tint and discontinued paints and stains for sale at a deep discount. I bought a gallon of deck stain and laid it on thick. So far I'm pleased with it.

pierrem #1004484 Tue Feb 04 2014 08:34 PM
H
Shop Shark
I purchased a heavy rubber mat from a farm supply store to protect the wood floor on my 55 Chevy 1 ton grain box.
They are sold as floor matting in box stalls or for the floor of
stock trailers.
It's heavy but can be removed easy.
Howie

1 1955 Chev one ton. 261 engine

3 1962 Chev c-10 261 engine
4 1966 Plymouth VIP 5.7 GenIII Hemi
5 1966 Imperial Crown Coupe 440 engine
pierrem #1004549 Wed Feb 05 2014 01:09 AM
P
pierrem Offline OP
New Guy