The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
E V E N T Highlight

Southern
"STOVEBOLT"
Jamboree 2022
July 8 and 9
Lebanon TN

The Southern Bolters are planning their area get together in
conjunction with the
Southeast Truck Nationals at Cedars of Lebanon State Park (TN)

Check out the details, with new info on the Southern Bolters forum.

Plenty of other events in the Side Lot

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (dunfire, kades51), 85 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics127,986
Posts1,036,245
Members45,906
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1398121 Sat Feb 20 2021 07:20 PM
4 Images
L
'Bolter
1937 Chevrolet 1/2 ton Pickup

I purchased this truck from a fellow Stovebolter who had started restoring it and the project stalled. One of my sons, Lightholder on this forum, went on a road trip with me to retrieve this from the West coast. The truck was disassembled down to a bare frame and then reassembled. I spent four years doing much of the work myself, although most of the body work and painting was done by a local shop. My goal was to have a truck that is as close to stock as practical. It has the original design drivetrain including a 4 speed non-synchronized transmission and 216 engine. The electrical system is 6 volt with the original voltage cutout (no voltage regulator). I did take some liberties with modern products such as Remflex manifold gasket and Cunifer copper nickel brake and fuel lines. The tires are Coker radials in the original size 6.00x16. The original bed was kind of beat up, as the truck had been a landscaping truck for part of its life. I purchased a new bed and bed wood from Mar-K. As you can see from one of the photos , I painted the bed wood black so that it would appear stock, using the process described on Mar-K’s website.
Much of the restoration process would be familiar to you all but one aspect I would like to highlight is how much work went into the fuel system to return it to the original configuration. The 1937 trucks are unique in that this is the only year there is no fuel filler tube for the under seat gas tank. The bench seat is split, allowing you to raise the passenger half of the seat to reveal the gas tank cap or bung. It is not vented; the tank itself has a vent that exits at the bottom of the tank, just above a hole in the cab floor. To fill the tank you open the passenger door, lift up the seat bottom half, open the bung and fill-er-up. Well, unfortunately when I got the truck it had a car gas tank strapped under the bed with the fill tube protruding through an ugly ragged hole in the passenger fender. The seat base that surrounds the stock gas tank had been removed and someone had constructed a wood seat that sat on the cab floor. To return the truck to stock configuration, I ended up buying a bare late 1936 cab, cut the 35 spot welds holding down the seat base and welded it to the 1937 cab. Another Stovebolter sold me a nice original gas tank and seat back. I located seat bottoms from a local junk yard here in the desert.
The truck is a blast to drive and I have really fallen in love with the look of that era truck.
Last edited by Lightholder's Dad; Sat Feb 20 2021 07:28 PM.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
14 Comments
L
'Bolter
I am away from my shop where the truck resides for several days so I will be glad to send you some photos after this weekend. The seat bottoms rest on the riser directly and there are some v-shaped metal extensions that restrict front to back movement of the seat bottom relative to the riser. That is all. Pictures to follow.
Kent

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
L
'Bolter
Apparently, one cannot post pictures in a reply in this section, so '37ChevyPU, if you want to see pictures send me an email. My address is in my profile.
Kent

Last edited by Lightholder's Dad; Mon Nov 29 2021 11:13 PM.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Kent, you are correct. Gallery guidelines state Do Not Ask Questions in the Gallery, so the need for photos in reply is locked out.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

R
'Bolter
Just received my copy of "Hemmings Classic Car" magazine in the mail today. It features a very nice article about this truck.
You obviously put a lot of effort into it. Very nice job, and congrats on the article!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

1947 Chev. Loadmaster

1959 Chev. Viking 40

Genie: "I am the genie from a magic lamp and I have the power to grant you three wishes."
Me: "I want to be rich."
Genie: "OK, Rich, what's your second wish?"

P
'Bolter
Kent's truck just came up again in the discussion in General Truck as the link to the Hemmings Motor News story [hemmings.com] featured his '37.

Just wanted to add it here for this thread.

wave

Last edited by Peggy M; Sun Jun 05 2022 04:31 PM.

Peggy M
The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  hardshell, J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop