The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (48bigtrucks, Harold41, Capt Oblivious, Mather, Greg_H, Justice), 138 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,697
Posts1,006,493
Members45,007
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
1948 5-Window 3100
#1413068 Tue Jun 08 2021 07:51 AM
Red dot, center of chest ...
1948 5-Window 3100

My truck won 2nd in class at the Kansas City show a few years back (got beat by a Stovebolter with a magnificent school bus), but it's not a trailer queen. This truck is all original steel except for the tailgate.

Frame-off resto-mod, new corner glass, "modern" paint job with clear-coat (cab, fenders, bed pieces were all painted separately off the truck), too many powder-coated parts to mention them all, lowered four inches

Engine: 235 bored.030 over with a mild Isky cam, modified for a full-flow oil filter, ceramic-coated "original" Fenton headers (came off an old 60s hot rod), ceramic-coated Offy 2x1 manifold, two Model B Rochester carbs, powder-coated air cleaner cover, valve cover, and side cover, electronic ignition (not Petronix - actual EI), Vintage Air A/C, electric fan (switch under dash), dual exhaust with Thrush mufflers

Brakes: 4 wheel power disc brakes - the front has a kit, the rear is out of a Firebird (I think it was an '84), power booster is mounted to the frame on the driver's side

Drivetrain: S-10 Borg-Warner T-5 with overdrive, 3.73 limited-slip POSI rear, floor-mounted shifter between the two bucket seats, this truck will run 65 all day long at 2,000 RPM with air (and has), chrome diff cover, Goodyear P215/R15-75 radials, slotted mags (I don't know the make, but they remind me of the old Cragers from the 60s.)

Suspension: Front mono-leafs from Patricks, rear stock springs with mounts reversed, gas shocks all around

Steering: stock, no power, with a very large steering wheel to make slow turning easier, Ididit column with tilt and turn-signal

Battery: mounted under the frame on the passenger side in a tray that can be lowered for service, optima red-top AGM battery with Optima digital trickle-charger

Interior: adjustable bucket seats with seat belts, tan and black interior, carpeted floor with tan and black Chevy mats, dolphin white-faced electronic speedometer, dolphin white-faced four-gauge cluster (oil pressure, water temperature, volts, fuel), Sunpro Super Tach II mounted under the dash, no radio, no stereo, no DVD (see - there's still things you can do to this truck)

Bed: oak boards, marine-varnished, stainless hardware, stainless hidden latch tailgate from Mar-K

Stainless: rear taillight housings, locking gas cap, door trim, bolts everywhere, including bow-tie stainless bolts on the upper radiator housing mount, stainless braided fuel lines
Last edited by baldeagle; Tue Jun 08 2021 07:51 AM.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
5 Comments
Re: 1948 5-Window 3100
baldeagle #1413081 Tue Jun 08 2021 12:09 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Beautiful truck Paul. I hope it doesn’t leave the Stovebolt family.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Justhorsenround #1413267 Wed Jun 09 2021 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Beautiful truck Paul. I hope it doesn’t leave the Stovebolt family.
Thank you, Justhorsenround. I hope so too.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
baldeagle #1421571 Mon Aug 23 2021 12:22 AM
I sold my truck last month to a guy who absolutely loves it and drives it every week. I'm trying to get him involved in Stovebolt, but he's not much for the internet.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
baldeagle #1422587 Wed Sep 01 2021 03:51 PM
D
'Bolter
That was a nice looking truck and loved what you did with the engine. Are you working on a new project? I was wondering if you could help me out with a question pertaining to the T5 transmission. Did you use the original clutch fork and bellhousing or did you have to change it out to accommodate T5?

1950 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton 3100
baldeagle #1422619 Wed Sep 01 2021 08:23 PM
I'm not working on any projects right now.

I used the same bellhousing and clutch parts that came with the truck - I think. It's been years since that work was done. The shifter was back so far that it probably would have hit the bench seat when shifting. (I had buckets.) I do know that I did not have to buy a new bellhousing.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com

Moderated by  hardshell, J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop