The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Bill Hanlon, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, 3B, JW51, 49nut), 123 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,524
Posts1,041,198
Members46,036
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
#1413068 Tue Jun 08 2021 07:51 AM
7 Images
Red dot, center of chest ...
1948 5-Window 3100

My truck won 2nd in class at the Kansas City show a few years back (got beat by a Stovebolter with a magnificent school bus), but it's not a trailer queen. This truck is all original steel except for the tailgate.

Frame-off resto-mod, new corner glass, "modern" paint job with clear-coat (cab, fenders, bed pieces were all painted separately off the truck), too many powder-coated parts to mention them all, lowered four inches

Engine: 235 bored.030 over with a mild Isky cam, modified for a full-flow oil filter, ceramic-coated "original" Fenton headers (came off an old 60s hot rod), ceramic-coated Offy 2x1 manifold, two Model B Rochester carbs, powder-coated air cleaner cover, valve cover, and side cover, electronic ignition (not Petronix - actual EI), Vintage Air A/C, electric fan (switch under dash), dual exhaust with Thrush mufflers

Brakes: 4 wheel power disc brakes - the front has a kit, the rear is out of a Firebird (I think it was an '84), power booster is mounted to the frame on the driver's side

Drivetrain: S-10 Borg-Warner T-5 with overdrive, 3.73 limited-slip POSI rear, floor-mounted shifter between the two bucket seats, this truck will run 65 all day long at 2,000 RPM with air (and has), chrome diff cover, Goodyear P215/R15-75 radials, slotted mags (I don't know the make, but they remind me of the old Cragers from the 60s.)

Suspension: Front mono-leafs from Patricks, rear stock springs with mounts reversed, gas shocks all around

Steering: stock, no power, with a very large steering wheel to make slow turning easier, Ididit column with tilt and turn-signal

Battery: mounted under the frame on the passenger side in a tray that can be lowered for service, optima red-top AGM battery with Optima digital trickle-charger

Interior: adjustable bucket seats with seat belts, tan and black interior, carpeted floor with tan and black Chevy mats, dolphin white-faced electronic speedometer, dolphin white-faced four-gauge cluster (oil pressure, water temperature, volts, fuel), Sunpro Super Tach II mounted under the dash, no radio, no stereo, no DVD (see - there's still things you can do to this truck)

Bed: oak boards, marine-varnished, stainless hardware, stainless hidden latch tailgate from Mar-K

Stainless: rear taillight housings, locking gas cap, door trim, bolts everywhere, including bow-tie stainless bolts on the upper radiator housing mount, stainless braided fuel lines
Last edited by baldeagle; Tue Jun 08 2021 07:51 AM.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
7 Comments
baldeagle #1413081 Tue Jun 08 2021 12:09 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Beautiful truck Paul. I hope it doesn’t leave the Stovebolt family.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Beautiful truck Paul. I hope it doesn’t leave the Stovebolt family.
Thank you, Justhorsenround. I hope so too.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
baldeagle #1421571 Mon Aug 23 2021 12:22 AM
I sold my truck last month to a guy who absolutely loves it and drives it every week. I'm trying to get him involved in Stovebolt, but he's not much for the internet.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
baldeagle #1422587 Wed Sep 01 2021 03:51 PM
D
'Bolter
That was a nice looking truck and loved what you did with the engine. Are you working on a new project? I was wondering if you could help me out with a question pertaining to the T5 transmission. Did you use the original clutch fork and bellhousing or did you have to change it out to accommodate T5?

1950 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton 3100
baldeagle #1422619 Wed Sep 01 2021 08:23 PM
I'm not working on any projects right now.

I used the same bellhousing and clutch parts that came with the truck - I think. It's been years since that work was done. The shifter was back so far that it probably would have hit the bench seat when shifting. (I had buckets.) I do know that I did not have to buy a new bellhousing.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
baldeagle #1430741 Sat Nov 20 2021 02:37 AM
Moderated
My 1st post here - what a beautiful truck! Gives me encouragement to make mine better.

baldeagle #1430986 Mon Nov 22 2021 04:45 PM
Thank you, 51 Shorty.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com

Moderated by  hardshell, J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop