The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,939
Posts1,000,194
Members44,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
1986 GMC Suburban 2500. AKA Big Blue
#1397477 Mon Feb 15 2021 11:21 PM
2 Images
'Bolter
1986 GMC Suburban 2500. AKA Big Blue

We have several trucks in the family, but in this post, I will add some history of my 1986 big block Suburban.

This truck was my mom and dad's. They were both teachers and retired at the end of the 1986 school year. Two years earlier, my dad purchased a 1983 1500 diesel 6.2l Sierra Classic. In all honesty, this was a beautiful truck. They also purchased a 31' Airstream trailer. They planned to travel with this rig, and also winter in Florida at an RV park. The 1983 1500 Suburban got amazing fuel economy, but the truck was not really built for such service. By then I was working as a technician at the local Pontiac/GMC dealer. We sold a ton of 6.2l diesel trucks, and for the most part, they were OK, but did not have the power of even the small block-powered trucks.

My dad decided that they would order a new 3/4 ton Suburban as a retirement gift to themselves. With that in mind, we went through the order book and decided to order a truck that would be the best fit for them. I lobbied for just about every option, but dad was skeptical. For instance, he didn't want a third seat. With bucket seats and console, rear air was not needed as there was no third seat. It was also planned to not be a winter use vehicle, so rear heat was not needed. In hindsight, U would loved to have had the seat, but the rear heat/air systems were not all that good. They always seemed like an afterthought.

What the truck did have was a 454 cid. Big block, and THM 400. It has 3.73:1 rear gears. It also had a 40 gallon tank. If it was heavy duty, I added it to the option list. I remember the day the truckload came in, and Big Blue was there on the lower rear position. I went out and told the driver to "Be careful with this one, It's going to be mine."

It was a beauty, and dad sold the 1983. At the time, it was hard to get a 454 truck as GM could only build a few of them due to CAFE Standards. We didn't want to be out of a truck if the order was rejected.

My folks used it for several trips until my mom got sick and we lost her in 1989. Dad, to his credit, continued to live a well-lived life. He eventually replaced the 1986 for a new 2001 2500. (I also have that one). I purchased the 1986 from my dad and have kept him (This truck is a he, not a she.), ever since. He now has about 178,000 miles on him. It is still in drive anywhere condition.

A few stories of interest are when on the way home from Canada, a left rear tire blew in a massive tire failure while pulling the Airstream. I was in the back seat at the time, nothing I could do but hold on. The blown tire shot dad across the center line, and as he tried to bring it back, it started to slide. I was thinking at that moment, "Boy, I am glad I ordered that 1 1/4" sway bar!". The crazy things you think of in an accident. The only damage was some paint around the wheel well.

Another story was when we lost dad, I along with my brother, carried dad to be with mom instead of using a hearse. It was the right thing to do. It was the truck they purchased together to spend retirement with. Now I was bringing them together again. Shortly after the funeral, my wife said, "I imagine that this means we are keeping this forever." She has never liked the exhaust. It was the last of the pre-catalytic converter trucks. It does not even have the fuel filler restrictor.

Lots of more stories, but this is long enough.
4 Comments
Re: 1986 GMC Suburban 2500. AKA Big Blue
20Mercman #1397480 Mon Feb 15 2021 11:33 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Great write up! Thanks for sharing.

Can we see more pictures? I'd like to see the interior and the engine bay. Maybe one of the front, too.

Just a neat truck with a cool story.

Thanks,
John

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

20Mercman #1397492 Tue Feb 16 2021 12:15 AM
'Bolter
Thanks John! Right now I have it in storage till April. I will get some more photos up as I find them. I am sure I have some on other devices.

Steve

20Mercman #1397696 Wed Feb 17 2021 05:52 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Nice story and a nice looking 'burb. It's (almost) hard to believe that a 1986 vehicle is 35 years old!

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
20Mercman #1398663 Wed Feb 24 2021 08:00 PM
'Bolter
I failed to notice that I was supposed to add my location to my posts in the gallery.

I am from Kenosha Wisconsin, Steven Carlson

Steve

Moderated by  hardshell, J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop