The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 registered members (coilover, moparguy, LeeD, 3B, carbking, EdPruss), 287 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,673
Posts919,243
Members42,312
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
Re: 3600 Overload Springs are Great WE b OLD Mon Aug 19 2019 01:54 PM
I have a set overloads that can be sourced from your local FLAPS or amazon. Easy install.
6 116 Read More
The HiPo Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Lift for 59 apache coilover Mon Aug 19 2019 01:48 PM
You are fighting the devil lifting a straight axle vehicle. When you raise the chassis you lower the roll center which creates instability. This can be compensated for with higher rate springs, shocks, and large diameter sway bars front and rear. Take a look at a monster truck with body removed. The drag link angle is where the fun begins since if the pitman arm is lengthened to level the drag link steering becomes very quick, very hard, and twitchy as heck. The steering box can be lowered but it's a big job by the time you figure in a custom steering column drop and reconfiguring the shift components. Radical drop puts the steering wheel close to the dash and probably require work on the column itself. They make straight axle rack and pinion kits which keeps all the geometry the same but they have a steering shaft slip joint which I definitely am not a fan of. You also might do a search on a TF Northern Auto Parts (NAPCO) 4wd trucks which set quite a bit higher than normal.
10 68 Read More
Driveline Jump to new posts
Re: Emergency brake question EdPruss Mon Aug 19 2019 01:41 PM
It is always a good idea if an assembly looks complicated to do one side at a time, always have the other one as an example.

Ed
1 25 Read More
Interiors Jump to new posts
Re: 50 Interior parts Brad Allen Mon Aug 19 2019 01:40 PM
If the question is about availability you are in the right place. If you are looking to purchase then it should be in the parts wanted forum. As far as I know the seat parts you seek are not in reproduction, some of the interior trim is reproduced. I would post a very specific parts wanted post and see if someone close to you may have them to save on shipping costs. For the smaller pieces eBay is also a good option.
1 23 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale Jump to new posts
Re: Carter carburetors...plus one Rochester Jon G Mon Aug 19 2019 01:30 PM
Images of the Carter throttle body and the NOS Carter (for 216) and the rebuilt Carter (for 216) below (one of which shows the box "rash" from being stored in a humid place). Hope this is helpful. Please let me know if questions...
5 89 Read More
Re: Spring-assisted hoods! EdPruss Mon Aug 19 2019 01:23 PM
When hood hinges get tight from lack of lube, puts a lot of stress on hood itself, seen many hoods broken because of lack of lube of hinges.

Ed
6 133 Read More
Misc. Stovebolt Stuff Jump to new posts
Re: Carter carburetor cabinets carbking Mon Aug 19 2019 12:40 PM
Kevin - have changed preferences so P.M. should work. Let me know your zip code, and I will find out for you.

Jon.
2 41 Read More
Re: 57 3100 front suspension identification. TUTS 59 Mon Aug 19 2019 12:14 PM
Hey there NJ_57,
I doubt it has drop spindles, I haven't seen any after market spindles for the factory straight axle set up. More than likely if it's a significant drop the PO probably removed some leafs from the spring packs or changed to a drop axle. I would count the number of leafs in your springs, stock should be about 5. As far as the 5 bolt front hubs, has it been converted to disc brakes? This is a common modification on these trucks, most conversions use the 5 X 4.75 GM car bolt pattern. The PO may have changed the hubs to a tapered roller bearing instead of the factory style roller ball. Once your able to post some pictures I'm sure you find the answer. Welcome to the site, great grop of folks here that are more than willing to help.
1 15 Read More
Welcome Centre Jump to new posts
Re: Introduction John Milliman Mon Aug 19 2019 12:13 PM
Welcome home, Frank!!
3 23 Read More
STOVEBOLT REUNION - KANSAS CITY Jump to new posts
Re: Saturday evening Green_98 Mon Aug 19 2019 12:10 PM
I'm going to try to make it, however I do not think I will have my truck with me, but I would love to meet everyone and see your rides.
5 62 Read More
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Driveshaft carrier bearing for 52 3/4 ton MikeE Mon Aug 19 2019 12:08 PM
Probably best to measure it when you get things assembled.
16 2,235 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted Jump to new posts
Re: 1959 Apache 1\2 ton rear backing plate Steve1940 Mon Aug 19 2019 11:21 AM
It has the round cover and drop out diff, I did not know they were different ones for a half ton. Thanks
2 26 Read More
52 1/2 ton under bed tire carrier jetmech6868 Mon Aug 19 2019 11:01 AM
Looking for spare tire carrier for under the bed, 52 Chevy or gmc. Thanks
0 5 Read More
Re: Double Action Fuel Pump Vacuum routing bigblack'74 Mon Aug 19 2019 10:26 AM
The reason we could not determine which port was which, was the lower pump diaphragm was torn and not working. We ordered a new pump and down the road we go. Thanks.
11 83 Read More
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: 1956 LCF 5700 gas tank and master cylinder 78buckshot Mon Aug 19 2019 10:10 AM
Mike lightingtruck, I can't remember if I had to replace one of the inter-cylinder lines. The rubber hoses were a stock item, just need thread info and length. All of the steel lines on my truck are 1/4 inch - from the MC to hydro, from hydro to the first tee, and from there to all of the wheels.
33 397 Read More
Re: Vacuum gauge hookup??? WE b OLD Mon Aug 19 2019 09:09 AM
I have decided to leave things alone for now after what happened last year when I tried to improve things. If you believe in omens which I don't I had better stop. Last night we had a huge thunder boomer and I mean I have never heard anything that loud and close in my 76 years. I got up to look out the window and my eyeglasses were laying on my chest and they fell on the floor and I stepped on them and twisted the frame and one lens fell out. I have my old pair and they are the same prescription except the nose piece won't stay on. ohwell What about what Jerry said. Did he leave out a word like NOT?? What he said sounded like I am not getting any vacuum advance with my set up. And what Evan says either carb could be used because they have the same set screw in the base. I would guess that are the real thing since they came off real 235 engines.
7 106 Read More
Re: What did you get done on your bolt today???? WE b OLD Mon Aug 19 2019 08:56 AM
After what happened last year I am not doing anything until after KC.
6,600 48,104,421 Read More
Re: Took my first cruise today WE b OLD Mon Aug 19 2019 08:54 AM
Great, have a long and happy life together.
4 65 Read More
Need Carter W1 Dr Evil Mon Aug 19 2019 05:20 AM
Hi all

I'm looking for a Carter W1 carburetor please any help.

Thanks to all
0 3 Read More
The Electrical Bay Jump to new posts
Re: Backup light switch project -completed ! klhansen Mon Aug 19 2019 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by dhjmd
Resurrecting this post. Does anyone know of a 6V switch?

A switch is pretty much just a switch. A 12V switch will likely work just fine. Low voltage switches are usually pretty robust.
29 7,330 Read More
'60-'66 Trucks Jump to new posts
Re: re-dilling a flex plate bartamos Mon Aug 19 2019 03:59 AM
This is a GMC V6. The old GMC 305 V6 Big Block 60-74 only. NOT a modern V6. The pieces it takes to adapt to a 700r4 consists of many parts not shown. The starter is accommodated using big huge bell housing spacer/adapter plates. He just wants to know about one part of the kit. That plate.
I believe the best way to describe this deal is that it uses a honking "flywheel", (without a clutch surface) then that plate shown is attached to it (maybe it's called a flexplate), then the converter. At the same time there are two big honkin cast/machined outer bell housing adapter "rings" for tranny and starter and spacing. If he posts a pic of all the parts it would be good.
He may correct me on this. I think I'm close.
The only thing is, I've seen GMC V6 "Flex" plates like the one posted but they were not flat. The outer converter mounting tips were raised. As in: "bent up". Probably to get access to the three converter bolt heads from behind. May either plate works or are for different automatics. Anyway the answer is: drill it.
5 62 Read More
The Electrical Bay Jump to new posts
Re: Battery goes dead on 38 with alternator. Gord&Fran Mon Aug 19 2019 03:26 AM
This company makes a 6 volt alternator. It looks like they convert a 10SI to 6 volt.

https://brillman.com/product/6-volt-1-wire-alternator-40-amp-negative-ground/

My guess is that the original GM part number may still be there which would be confusing.
8 82 Read More
Re: Front crossmember kthomas Mon Aug 19 2019 02:40 AM
Thanks Carl,

I found the measurements in the factory assembly manual. Just want to make sure I drill them out where they are elongated for adjustment.

Kevin
4 53 Read More
Paint and Body Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Door hinges cmayna Mon Aug 19 2019 01:23 AM
Very nice to read your results. Maybe an incentive for others to fix their doors as well.
2 96 Read More
Paint and Body Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Aircraft stripper tom moore Mon Aug 19 2019 01:14 AM
Bought aircraft stripper from O Reilly’s. Not the same product that it once was because it does not coontain methylehatever anymore. Nonetheless, takes longer to lift paint, and dries faster than its capability to lift paint. The key is: brush it on one-way only, and just one or two brush strokes. Then cover with plastic kitchen wrap to prevent it from evaporating and drying. It required 15 minutes or less wait time in the past. Now it requires 30-46 (maybe 47 minutes) minutes but who’s counting? Wash as directions say, then wash with lacquer thinner or solvent to remove wax binder - if wax remains expect fisheyes in your paint or compromised adhesion.
10 169 Read More
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop