The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Come one; Come all
14th Annual Stovebolt Reunion

In Kansas City, MO
September 8 and 9

Check for details and sign on!!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
34 registered members (3B, 1951Chevy1Ton, 49 3100, 46forme, 53 green 1- ton, 6 invisible), 206 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics111,895
Posts881,199
Members40,932
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Truck Parts Wanted
Mon Aug 20 2018 02:12 PM
My partner has some salvage cars from that era. Cars & 1/2 ton trucks from that era use the same parts. You can call him at 816-507-4811. His name is John. Or e-mail me with a phone # & I can have him call you.

George
1 24 Read More
STOVEBOLT REUNION - KANSAS CITY
Mon Aug 20 2018 02:06 PM
Went the first time last year. The Alderson's hospitality is unmatched. Any evening is a good time to be there though Friday would be better for me.
Chuck
3 41 Read More
'60-'66 Trucks
Mon Aug 20 2018 02:00 PM
It may work. The length of the linkage is longer on the later transmission. Measure what you have, then measure linkage on the truck transmission came from. Sometimes you have to get creative when you start mixing parts and pieces.
3 12 Read More
Events, GABFests, Happenings!
Mon Aug 20 2018 01:58 PM
Anyone going to Winchester. I have a 49 4400 stake bed and will be there
0 1 Read More
General Truck Talk
Mon Aug 20 2018 01:33 PM
That sounds great! There's not much room under that dash. Do you have some pictures to share?
2 60 Read More
Panels 'N Burbs
Mon Aug 20 2018 01:14 PM
Martin, I have to disagree with you on this one. They are not easy to get. Well, one of them is not anyway.

I've been searching for those exact two parts that WMDischar is referring to, except mine are for a 1951. He should have Huck brakes, I have Bendix. You CAN find the Spreader Bar and Spring aftermarket, but you're not gonna find the Lever. Unless somebody is junking a rear-end that has those parts, I have not seen it available aftermarket. I even posted in the "Parts Wanted' section a while back, looking for these parts (mainly the Lever).....not the first response. With all the rear-end changing and swapping going on, I would have thought somebody would have had these parts.

If I had an old one to even look at, I would fabricate mine. But I have yet to get my hands on one.

WMDischar, not to discourage you, just letting you know what I have found (or not found in this case).

I know the parking brake is not critical, but I'm wanting everything to work as intended.
3 27 Read More
Welcome Centre
Mon Aug 20 2018 11:45 AM
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure. shake
2 12 Read More
The Engine Shop
Mon Aug 20 2018 11:44 AM
Yes - at idle, or when steady cruising on flat/level road.
8 123 Read More
Driveline
Mon Aug 20 2018 11:42 AM
Thank you Jerry! Your knowledge of the these old trucks is so appreciated and seems to be endless.

Steve
9 137 Read More
General Truck Talk
Mon Aug 20 2018 11:37 AM
thumbs_up

Congratulations - I have needed to do the same, but have put it off for many years.
6,361 44,292,140 Read More
The Electrical Bay
Mon Aug 20 2018 09:48 AM
Right on Tim. But you just can't convince some people.
Denny Graham
19 211 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Mon Aug 20 2018 07:49 AM
I just put mine together; here is the assembly sequence:

Install the hood on the cowl, springs and all. It's easier to do it first before the fenders are in the way. Leave hood in the up position.
Mount the radiator support loosely onto its frame crossmember. Start out with about 1/4" rubber shims under the feet.
Bolt the inner and outer fenders together OFF THE TRUCK.
Install the inner and outer fenders onto the truck AS A UNIT. It will go lots easier (as I discovered the hard way).
Install the large brackets between the radiator support and the outer edge of the fenders
Install the lower front splash shield. Connect the rods between it and the radiator support.
Install the grille.
Install the hood latch panel between the grille and the radiator support.
Install the radiator.
Install front bumper and valance filler panel.

Mostly leave all bolts loose until you get everything assembled and adjusted. It almost seems as though Chevy designed these parts to fit under tension to prevent vibration. It helps to use several Phillips screwdrivers as pry bars to coax the various holes into alignment. Put a screwdriver through the mis-aligned holes and reef hard until you can get a bolt through or clamp with vice grips. Body bolts with threaded points are easier to get started too. Don't be afraid to enlarge or elongate holes to match up - after all, the factory did. And lastly: treat this information like gold: like you, I once searched extensively for this same question and never actually found the step-by-step answer so had to learn by trial and error ;-)
4 62 Read More
The Electrical Bay
Mon Aug 20 2018 07:14 AM
Kind of looks like a SBC in an AD with chopped and tubbed 216 valve covers. 1957 Bel Air 4bbl air cleaner. Pretty trick. I can see myself in that restomod. I'll bet the ranch it will giddyup.
11 122 Read More
Trucks for Sale
Mon Aug 20 2018 07:01 AM
Restored 1949 Chevy 3600 with dump bed. Frame and wheels powder coated, rebuild dump cylinders. Extras that come with it, new spare tire, extra motor (original), extra transmission, lots of original parts, including bed wood, hubcaps, bumper, and lots more.
Contact info Mike: mstanze@ymail.com
0 3 Read More
Big Bolts
Mon Aug 20 2018 05:35 AM
Don't get me wrong.

Split rims can be dangerous but..... ONLY if you ignore these basic common sense safety procedures for them.

NEVER mix & match incompatible main rims, lock rings or outer flange rim rings.

Any rim component that has excessive rust or pitting should be thrown into the scrap pile.

Always have a healthy respect respect for any 3 piece split rim but, no more respect than you would give to a non split rim.

Failure to follow these simple guidelines can result in this consequence....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2exMOT0-9M

15 239 Read More
The HiPo Shop
Mon Aug 20 2018 05:14 AM
Anyone got any idea where I could find a bearing with ID .75 inches and OD 1.9687?

Or.... if I got some machine shop buddies to make an adapter to get me to a usable ID, what do I tell them to make it out of? I figure if summit can use adapters in their kits, then maybe I could do the same...

If I could adapt a .8437 to .75 inches... I might be able to adapt the c10 rotor. First seeing if it's even possible to find parts to make it work. I'll need to strip the spindles and see about length fitment.

It's this or adapt what I think might be late 60s camaro rotors another guy used, just not sure if it was 60s camaro rotors....
16 162 Read More
General Truck Talk
Mon Aug 20 2018 05:02 AM
Originally Posted by Drtheo
Thanks guys for the help, but this is for the rear bumper on a 1950 Long box GMC half ton.

The FAM shows the rear bumper brackets on the outside as well.
6 83 Read More
Project Journals
Mon Aug 20 2018 03:54 AM
Well, that bloody belt line dent proved too much for pulling. I burned up another couple hours fighting it so I zip cut that portion out and hammered a piece of steel into shape and welded it in. I should have done that to start and saved my time. Oh well, at least I’ll be happier with the end product knowing it’s fresh and clean. I have ground down some of the weld and it looks pretty good. A little filler will have it looking ship shape in the end. I wish I was skilled enough to not use filler at all but that’s beyond me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MKRAM2g6hZppdbAJ7

Cab hours: 51.5

Total: 64

🦊
12 322 Read More
The Great Lakes Bolters
Mon Aug 20 2018 03:39 AM
Yup, good time was had by all.
Thanks to Randy's dream we are having this show, we just follow along.
Thanks to Dawn for putting up with us and thanks to all the people that brought trucks and chatted.
2 86 Read More
Interiors
Mon Aug 20 2018 02:57 AM
Welll.. that does make some sense.. Great shot and very helpful thank you for taking the time.
5 41 Read More
The BC Bolters
Mon Aug 20 2018 02:11 AM
Hy Guys and Gals, so very sorry to read this news, I echo what everyone has said, R.I.P. Boyd.
7 140 Read More
Driveline
Mon Aug 20 2018 02:05 AM
Thanks Carl, that makes sense about the various lengths. 🛠
5 70 Read More
The Electrical Bay
Mon Aug 20 2018 01:44 AM
Autometer makes a very good 0-30 ohm gauge that can mount under dash.
11 179 Read More
Driveline
Mon Aug 20 2018 01:27 AM
Jay,
I realized what you meant, I will get into the one I removed and check the main shaft and bearings later on. I should have taken it apart when i changed the tail housing to an s-10 tail housing. When the cover was off everything looked nice, so didn't bother. Sometimes things come back to grab you by your backside.
16 141 Read More
The Electrical Bay
Mon Aug 20 2018 01:27 AM
I use the gutted voltage regulator trick as well. Nice tip I learned in here a while back. Maybe from Tim.
6 108 Read More
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop