The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
30 registered members (68ironhead, 1953 panel, 4100 Fire Truck, 55 SHAKER, 69Cuda, Bicounty, 1 invisible), 449 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics109,583
Posts861,600
Members40,461
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Engine Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 04:46 PM
3 17 Read More
The Engine Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 04:45 PM
JW. The pump I got has a 5/8. Arbor the 216 fan blade has a 1” hole.
58 1,195 Read More
General Truck Talk
Thu Feb 22 2018 04:34 PM
Do you have an oil filter?

If you have a filter the multigrade detergent oil is better than non-detergent.
10w-30 through 15w-40 seem to used a lot.

If you have no oil filter, it might be a tougher choice. A single grade (30) non-detergent might be the best choice.

Let's see what others think/suggest, and why?
3 14 Read More
The Engine Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 04:25 PM
On the ultrasonic bath.........there a dozens of units that are more or less just a vibrating vessel vs a true ultrasonic cleaner.........so your results vary widely.

One of many reviews :

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/hornady-vs-harbor-freight-ultrasonic-cleaners-review/
8 161 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 03:36 PM
You are a "body man".
You are doing a careful "restoration".
It will most likely bother you forever, if you leave it.
You have to decide if you want to do what you think you should do?
3 40 Read More
The HiPo Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
The Helium tank would be overkill- - - -those things are designed to hold 2K PSI or so and they're very heavy.

I don't mean the tanks similar to tanks used for welding... Maybe you haven't seen them at Walmart, but they remind me of a smaller 20# LP tank, but lighter weight construction. Either way, I'm really liking the PVC idea! What do you think would work size wise? 3", or 4" diameter by 12, maybe 18" long? What about some sort of pressure relief? As in, if I don't use my brakes/wipers in 20 minutes of engine runtime, will I damage the system?
13 220 Read More
Interiors
Thu Feb 22 2018 03:33 PM
I have read all the responses on this thread and many others concerning belts in a AD truck. My thinking and it is probably very flawed, so I expect to get flamed is a shoulder belt will not help much on frontal hit impacts with any speed involved, I think no matter what, that steel post of a column is going to get you. I'd rather have a lap belt and lay down. I have personally seen a guy thrown out of a vehicle and survived that would of obviously not if he had a three point. But alas, one could argue the merits and demerits of restraint systems forever. I think a successful lap and shoulder restraint includes a breakaway column and air bag. I think history has shown the evolution of these safety devices over the years and it has definitely evolved with all components and crumple zone sheet metal working in unison. One is not much good without the other IMHO, so mine will have lap belts only with hope of stopping you from getting thrown around too bad and sustaining life for a under 25mph hit, after that seems that everything else is a crap shoot.
22 688 Read More
The HiPo Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 03:23 PM
Untold thousands of 55-57 Chevy 265's got by with regular plugs and straight plug wire boots. They did have one bad problem- - - -the #7 plug was buried behind the steering gear shaft and it was very difficult to reach. I've encountered several of them 50-something years ago with 7 Champion plugs and one AC- - - -a flat rate mechanic had done a 7-plug tune-up at some time in the past! That elderly plug was always buried behind the steering column!

90 degree plug wire boots would give you a little extra frame rail or steering mast clearance- - - -use whichever works best for you.
Jerry
38 7,515 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 03:01 PM
I just went through this on my 53 and had no issues at all getting everything riveted back up. The kit gives you the exact amount of rivets. Cmon you bean counters, there is no way you can do it on one kit, order two and have extra. Since you are working under the grill, systematically assemble from the top down, keeping the rivet gun away from the other pieces. I call it the fourteen pieces from hell. At least I thought so until I got to installing the glass and wings in the door, then the grill was a pleasant distant memory
10 205 Read More
The Texas Bolters
Thu Feb 22 2018 02:35 PM
Here's a shoutout from Grapeland and Crockett. Holler back....... I'm also in Houston, ugh (yea, I know).

Tejas
4 283 Read More
General Truck Talk
Thu Feb 22 2018 02:20 PM
John and others, he has a group of photos in the Stovebolt Volunteer Fire Department forum dated Jan 5th. FYI📸
9 297 Read More
The Engine Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 02:04 PM
I just recently went through a similar situation w/a 79 250 in a 49 GMC. Due to previous hillbilly engr'ing I had to change the thermostat housing to the smaller 235 hose outlet which was smaller than the radiator's opening. I now needed a hose with 2 different sized hose openings. Armed with measurements, 10 minutes at a local FLAPS produced a flex hose that worked perfectly. You may have to go that same route.
Pic
2 57 Read More
The HiPo Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 01:59 PM
Redwing
Not your setup, but, for reference

I put a 455 Buick into a 51 panel truck. I used a 33 inch aftermarket chrome tilt column with
column shift. Cleared that big Buick valve cover....... close but no interference.
Also, used, a Kugel Komponents column shift linkage that was easy to install and adjust for the turbo 400.
2 58 Read More
The Old Dominion Stovebolt Society (MD, VA, WV & DC)
Thu Feb 22 2018 01:47 PM
Andy
Firemen can't afford to be late!

Don
7 142 Read More
The Old Dominion Stovebolt Society (MD, VA, WV & DC)
Thu Feb 22 2018 01:18 PM
Thanks Chris.

Jim
10 113 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale
Thu Feb 22 2018 11:12 AM
the slats have the square holes punched in them
2 196 Read More
Welcome Centre
Thu Feb 22 2018 10:44 AM
Nice! Is that a Coleman 4x4 conversion?
7 199 Read More
Driveline
Thu Feb 22 2018 08:37 AM
PaPa Joe: is your system power boosted?
4 100 Read More
Stovebolt Spotting Alert Network
Thu Feb 22 2018 08:05 AM
Sold for $3600.
1 264 Read More
General Truck Talk
Thu Feb 22 2018 07:52 AM
The coolest video ever!

And if you can't personally hear the noise, I woiuldn't worry about it. Probably something the camera audio is distorting.
5 173 Read More
General Truck Talk
Thu Feb 22 2018 04:55 AM
Cool, Thanks

My original is very likely rusted beyond repair, so it's something I can use as well. thumbs_up
2 78 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 04:43 AM
Yes, you can. That is how I did my truck. Be sure you have a helper to hold the big fenders while starting the bolts.
See photo.
Harold
1 37 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 04:19 AM
I read some time ago ,to put laquer thinner on a rag and wipe it in a small section . If it's a true epoxy primer , it will not come off onto the rag.
I tried this on my own epoxy primed part , and it did not show on my rag.
Do a google search on the subject and see what you find.

Tim
2 108 Read More
The Engine Shop
Thu Feb 22 2018 02:50 AM
Welcome to the club of hard learned lessons! We have all been there and done some pretty stupid stuff.

Chris
5 221 Read More
General Truck Talk
Thu Feb 22 2018 02:38 AM
You are welcome.

Be patient learning how to use those Master Parts Catalogs, Bill

It takes time (and errors and frustration) to figure out the names of parts, and how to look them up in the catalog, and how to read the entries.
3 81 Read More
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop