The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (37 GC, DavidBraley, 5 Window 9434, 42465967, 55_2nd_Series, 1 invisible), 153 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics118,995
Posts952,506
Members43,304
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: '54 630 shorten frame 4' Rusty Rod Thu Jun 04 2020 11:24 PM
Interesting project. I first read that you were shortening it by 4 INCHES... and thought that you would not really be gaining much by cutting out such a small piece.
37 3,089 Read More
The HiPo Shop Jump to new posts
Re: 1957 Chevy pickup steering box relocation bartamos Thu Jun 04 2020 11:14 PM
Pretty close. Saginaw looking, The castings may be a little different. I think they all pick the 68-76 because they have a good ratio and have American hose threads. Not sure. The one in my pic is a 1980.
What are you planning? In the picture of your mounted box, I can not tell what box it is? The Saginaw box does not care if it is coupled with an aftermarket column or an original column or whatever. Because the CPP website is so screwed up, I can not find a picture of the XXXXXXX-AC kit. You would think the search would take you to the Buy page, which has the price and usually a picture. I can not find the stand alone box for sale. I really really don't recommend CPP. I ALWAYS get frustrated when I go there. Anyway, as I say, what is your plan B?
12 92 Read More
The BC Bolters Jump to new posts
Re: Looking for 261.. maybe?? tclederman Thu Jun 04 2020 11:11 PM
Excellent advice , Patrick

Here is a slightly emended version of your list:

If you do find a 1955-2nd series or newer 235 or 261, be sure to consider/adapt-for:

1. With 55-2nd or later 235/261 block, use the 1955nd or earlier 216/235/261 short-shaft water pump (and Pre '68 Dave's water pump adapter plate [chev235guy.blogspot.com] that can be found on ebay)

2. Drill the front of the block for the front motor mount:
Tech Tip 1, and, Tech Tip 2

3. The 216 or pre-1955-2nd 235/261 bell/clutch housing may have to be used to match rear motor mounts (which changed in 1954 and changed later.

Also, the clutch-assembly must have matching/compatible parts:
- diameters of clutch plate and pressure plate
- pressure-plate attachment to flywheel bolt-holes line up
- release/throw-out bearing matched pressure plate
8 235 Read More
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Valve Cover Screws Leak 37 GC Thu Jun 04 2020 11:08 PM
my '57 235 used to do the same and I fought it with sealers and new gaskets, cork and synthetic. pulled the cover and checked for flatness and was surprised how bad it was from past sins from who knows when. When it had leaked in the past I think previous owners must have continued to tighten the screws until there was no way it would ever seal.
19 347 Read More
Soft plug install? 37 GC Thu Jun 04 2020 10:55 PM
I've done several rebuilds but have never dealt with a shallow soft plug like the 2"er I am replacing under the water pump of my '39 216. I'm accustomed to the deeper cup style like in the side of the block. The one that was rusted and I pulled out was installed (who knows how many decades ago) convex rather that concave like the deep cup plugs. Seemed odd, Which is the right way or is it a argument point?
0 3 Read More
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
Re: 1942 or 46 Chevy Pickup fathersonproject Thu Jun 04 2020 10:15 PM
Hi,
So I looked over the ID plate(photo attached) and it is definitely 9BK56 1003 with a 46 in the middle. I know the 9 meant Norwood Ohio and the BK is 1942. Several people have said the 5 should be a letter but it is not? and what does the 1003 or the 46 mean?
thanks,
Nils
2 14 Read More
Interiors Jump to new posts
Re: 1950 GMC gauge paint 5 Window 9434 Thu Jun 04 2020 10:07 PM
Ron,
Chevrolet used the word Gasoline for their gauges and GMC used Fuel for theirs. You will probably also notice that Chev gauges used Battery and GMC used Amperes. I have a set of 1951 to 53 NOS gauges and it has fuel/amperes vice gasoline/battery.

Dave
8 93 Read More
Welcome Centre Jump to new posts
Re: Greetings from Indiana! 46 Chevy Mom Thu Jun 04 2020 09:44 PM
Thank you, Rusty Rod! I'm able to navigate much better on my laptop (I've been logging in on my phone). I'll have to get some pix swapped over.
8 25 Read More
The Passing Lane - Stovebolt Memorials Jump to new posts
Re: Sabrina Iturbe (MexicoSab) WE b OLD Thu Jun 04 2020 09:26 PM
Sorry to hear that, we were long distant friends and she and her family were in my prayers every night. We kept in touch from time to time with Joker on our minds. She was a kind-hearted lady.
11 161 Read More
The Electrical Bay Jump to new posts
62' GMC under bed wiring mystery TerenceandMary Thu Jun 04 2020 09:25 PM
I have been trying to get my tail lights and brake lights working again and have now run into some confusing wires. I fixed some rat damage and was able to replace the wires that were chewed (they were mostly intact and simple to follow what used to be hooked up to what) but i have a red wire and a thicker white wire that are just dangling with no obvious spot they should go. I have power to my tail lights when i turn them on. I followed the red wire up to the cab and it goes to the brake light switch just above the brake pedal. It doesn't seem to attach to my tail/brake lights at all. I know the blinkers also run through these lights but i can't test if those are working because i haven't gotten around to going through my blinker mech yet. I guess I need to know how that red wire that obviously controls my brake lights, wires into the rest of the tail light wiring. Also I have alot more wiring in the cab/under dash to do. Everything for the ignition and to make the motor run work along with my headlights/brights. but just about everything else has been eaten. Any wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
0 14 Read More
Driveline Jump to new posts
Re: Raybestos or AC delco? Jon G Thu Jun 04 2020 09:24 PM
Rebuild it and when you do, hone it carefully and well using brake fluid to lubricate the honing stones. Polish the bore if you are able. That leak will stop unless rust and age have pitted your bore too far. I've seen some that leaked like that out of the box.
4 88 Read More
Driveline Jump to new posts
Re: Leaf Spring Maintenance HandyAndy Thu Jun 04 2020 09:24 PM
So I have some options:

1. Do nothing and drive it.
2. Buy a used spring. jerryschevyparts
3. Fix the broken leafs for about $65.00. Midwest Frame and Axle, Iowa City, IA
4. Purchase two new spring stacks $290.10 plus tax. St. Louis Spring Company

Any thoughts or recommendations one way or the other?
14 271 Read More
Trucks Wanted Jump to new posts
Re: AD Truck for Yard Art HandyAndy Thu Jun 04 2020 09:13 PM
Good idea!

I spoke to him today and he's found a truck. It's a one-owner 1948 Dodge 1/2 ton. It's been sitting in a barn for 30 years and it's totally complete. As long as he's happy, that's all that counts!
4 53 Read More
Hauling Board Jump to new posts
Re: Ship overseas coilover Thu Jun 04 2020 09:08 PM
We had a customer that shipped a 31 Model A from England (by boat) for us to restore and when he shipped it back crating it and air freight was cheaper, probably due to so many empty airplanes sitting on the ground. It is something you might check out.
2 18 Read More
Paint and Body Shop Jump to new posts
Re: cowl panels and divider Mike Burns Thu Jun 04 2020 08:41 PM
Thanks. It's encouraging to hear that things might go a little faster after this side is completed. The pillars are a little better on the other side, so I may be able to use all or part of them. That will help a little in several ways. This has been a slow process for me. Once I get these cab panels finished up, I can move on to things that I've actually done before, so that should help a little.
15 181 Read More
Re: Name for lights on front fenders of 1949 Chevy Truck 3600 fonz8261 Thu Jun 04 2020 06:35 PM
My "Smash Hit" rear bumper came from a guy near Waco, Texas. That is where the bumpers were originally made. I also picked up the "Smash Hit" grille guard that is on the front of my truck from him. They both were in original, unrestored condition when I received them. There are separate posts of each project on this forum.

LUKE
10 102 Read More
Name that part ... Jump to new posts
GMC Brass Hub Caps Tanner97 Thu Jun 04 2020 06:09 PM
I ran across these hub caps but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet on them. They appear to have a brass finish
but I did test with a magnet and a magnet will adhere to them.
Thanks
Skip[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/19125/filename/hub caps.JPG[/img]
0 21 Read More
Project Journals Jump to new posts
Re: Grandpa’s 1970 C10 Rebuild. glenns towing Thu Jun 04 2020 05:48 PM
What kind of bike is it that "may" be on the chopping block?
69 8,032 Read More
Re: 3/4 Ton Pickup Rear Bumper Brackets Different Barnfind49 Thu Jun 04 2020 05:44 PM
Yea I too had that dilemma with my rear bumper brackets on my gmc 150. The rear of the 3/4 ton frames are definitely spaced closer together than the 1/2tons. I found a original pair in good shape on ebay. Good thing too because I hate bolting on “new” parts. 🤣
2 72 Read More
Re: Hey y'all! Newbie from PA here! Eisenhart1992 Thu Jun 04 2020 05:43 PM
Thank you all for the help! This weekens begins the tinkering!
19 139 Read More
Re: New from Sweden Organbuilder Thu Jun 04 2020 04:19 PM
Hejsan Staffan!

It looks to me like Bohuslän? I'm not that far away, but my truck has been sitting still for a while, waiting for a few parts, but mainly I just can't seem to find the time. Nice truck! Hope you plan to keep it stock! Karl
11 115 Read More
Modern GM and Non-GM Jump to new posts
Re: 1987 GMC hood and front fenders for sale Slick Willy Thu Jun 04 2020 03:41 PM
Pics:
1 22 Read More
Paint and Body Shop Jump to new posts
Re: right kick panel Brad Allen Thu Jun 04 2020 02:54 PM
4 48 Read More
Re: First startup after rebuild Hotrod Lincoln Thu Jun 04 2020 02:53 PM
A stovebolt cam probably won't need a lot of special attention on the initial run-in, other than the usual 20-30 minutes' run time at fast idle before you slow it down. The small block V8 engines we ran on the round track had triple springs with 300+ pounds of seat pressure and considerably more with the valve fully open required a lot of attention. We usually did the initial run-in with single springs, then pulled the heads and installed the race springs. An engine like that was either worn out or scattered in less than 1000 miles of running, but those were extremely stressful miles!
Jerry
15 486 Read More
Re: Where to begin? '37 barn find Thu Jun 04 2020 02:13 PM
Forgot to mention- turn the engine over without the spark plugs in to force the transmission fluid out
before you try to start it.
29 190 Read More
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop