The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
Since we put up promos last two weeks, we have had a bunch of activity in
The Side Lot.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you

THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: too many to list!

THE SIDE LOT.

Go see!

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (NJC, Jethro in Va, D B Cooper, Pat66, Garageguy6078, Ricster), 71 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,207
Posts1,047,825
Members46,222
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
Re: 1950 Speedometer Jerry M. Mon Oct 03 2022 10:33 AM
The original needle was deteriorated badly.

The end f the cable is spinning as the odometer is working.

It is possible that the cable is pushing on the brass piece on the back of the speedo. At first I thought the needle was rubbing on the glass face, but it does not turn even out of the case when pushed on the back of the shaft.

It did work when I first put it together and ran the truck for the first few times, but then it worked occasionally and then quit all together.
2 20 Read More
Welcome Centre Jump to new posts
Re: New Here - TPR57C Mon Oct 03 2022 08:48 AM
Welcome from downunder the madness is worldwide
2 26 Read More
The Heartland Jump to new posts
Re: Heartland Stovebolters Map TPR57C Mon Oct 03 2022 08:47 AM
Watch out now they know where you live I wish I could come and visit 2 Ton has been my co pilot on a few road trips love to meet you all on my bucket list
50 9,477 Read More
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: 1959 Viking C60 rear wheel cylinders Truckrolet Mon Oct 03 2022 05:52 AM
Question has anyone converted to a dual system type master cylinder on these larger trucks? Reason I ask is I worked with a fellow that had I think a 2 ton 57 Chev with a box on back for his vegetable, fruit business, broke a brake line going down a steep hill and crashed at the bottom into a building. I like pure stock old trucks but for driving one I'd want a dual system because of that story. So will the bolt in the stock position after market units work on the larger trucks, Ok?
7 341 Read More
State inspection 2.0 Truckrolet Mon Oct 03 2022 05:28 AM
So how come there are no REPLY buttons in that thread?

I just wanted to ask what do they do during those inspections? I hope no one is using a pry bar on the parts of your vehicle to see if some suspension part is loose.
0 7 Read More
Project Journals Jump to new posts
Re: Grandpa’s 1970 C10 Rebuild. Fox Mon Oct 03 2022 04:23 AM
I have been hitting the door skin lately. It has had its ups and downs. To begin with I had to add a little steel along the inner door’s front edge near the bottom. The inner lower tub reproduction was a little off, as you can in the pictures prior. This was no big deal. Then, I began to drill plug weld hole along the outer skin replacement. I clamped it in place using scribes I’d put before original’s removal, then tacked it solid before I removed the door to fold it all over. I tacked the corners and began to fold over the corner lips to try out the door skinning tool.

It all went great until it didn’t.

As mentioned above the tool is great, but be bloody careful as you can wreck stuff quickly.

The leading and trailing edges of the door went great. The door bottom had a hiccup.

If you attempt a door skin job with this Astro DS1000 door skinning tool, DON’T drill the plug weld holes first. As I moved along the bottom lip, I noticed that the holes caused weak points and the metal wouldn’t move as easily and would distort outward. This gave me little “tabs” that stuck down because of the uneven pressure and kinking at the plug weld holes.

Also, as I moved along the bottom, the above issue also caused the tool to go off track, inadvertently folding the steel over, but missing the inner tub lip. This in turn caused the tool to kink the outer door skin slightly, giving me a very slight concave depression just above the lower lip. I removed some steel on the inner edge of the outer lower lip, worked the kink a bit, then welded over an extension to get back on the inner tub.

What a pain. It’s even worse because, as I was moving on the lower edge, my gut told me something was amiss and I should switch to doing it by hand and dolly. Hindsight is irritating to say the least.🤷🏼‍♂️

The photos show the highs and lows, but they actually aren’t that bad. A 1/16” of filler and I should be ok. I am lucky that the very bottom of the panel’s edge doesn’t wave up and down, so I can build a very good, strong skim of filler along that edge. It’s good because the filler won’t actually be on the edge this way. I’m still fine tuning but this door is finally fitting the way I want it to. A pillar gap= good, rear door gap= good, window frame gap= lower gap= very workable, leading edge gap= to be determined once front sheet metal is hung.

Hours 465

👍🏻🦊👍🏻
189 36,996 Read More
Driveline Jump to new posts
Re: Help Identifying A Differential/Axle 2258019 Mon Oct 03 2022 03:32 AM
Ive tried posting several times, but for whatever reason the posts never appear.

It has a 283 4 barrel stuck to a 3spd top loader Packard transmission.
10 168 Read More
The Southern Bolters Jump to new posts
Re: Crusin' the Coast - Oct 2-9 - MS Gulf Coast Southerntruck Mon Oct 03 2022 03:29 AM
This is a local new feed about coastal city activity related to Cruising for anyone who might be interested in coming in the future.

Cruising the coast [wlox.com]
18 459 Read More
The Electrical Bay Jump to new posts
1937 dash lights Joe H Mon Oct 03 2022 03:12 AM
I got caught out tonight in the dark after being in the sun all day. I drove home while the sun was setting and made to the house after dark. My eyes were tired and couldn't see the gauges due to the poor lighting at that time of day. There is only two bulbs between three gauges. I was wondering if you could take some 12v led strip lights and put them around the inside of each gauge. Just adding LED bulbs isn't going to do much, each gauge pod has a few cutouts where the light shines through, so even with the best of everything, very little lights reaches the far side of each pod, the speedometer doesn't get even lighting, so even it's hard to see. You can see the back and where the lights are in the picture I attached.
0 7 Read More
Re: My new 1951 Chevy Rich'sToys Mon Oct 03 2022 03:06 AM
Very nice looking truck!
6 77 Read More
Paint and Body Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Wheels that original hubcaps will fit onto ? klhansen Mon Oct 03 2022 02:54 AM
1/2 ton original wheels had 6 clips per wheel. GM later went to 3 per wheel when the wheels were widened to 5" for the 6 lug 16" wheels. I have a set of the 4.5" wide wheels and a 4" wide one (47-48?) and also a 5" wide wheel that has just the 3 clips.
7 137 Read More
Freebies Jump to new posts
Re: '41-'46 1/2 TON SPRING - FRAME BRACKETS Justhorsenround Mon Oct 03 2022 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by vonKlüver
Hello
Yes please
Shipping to
Walnut Creek 94596
I’ll try to message specific

You will have to exchange email addresses or phone # since you are under moderation and cannot send PMs.
2 115 Read More
Trucks for Sale Jump to new posts
$20,000 '51 Chevy 5100 COE, Utica, NY Rick51 3100 Mon Oct 03 2022 02:18 AM
$20,000: '51 Chevy 5100 COE, Utica, NY
· Original 235 engine was replaced with freshly-rebuilt 261 engine
· Fuel:
o New Carter BB-1 carburetor
o Replaced choke cable assembly
o Replaced throttle cable assembly
o Replaced float on fuel sending unit
o New fuel filter and lines
· Serviced complete brake system:
o Replaced front and rear brake cylinders
o Replaced front brake return spring, hardware, clips, and body fasteners
o Replaced master cylinder
o New brake spring kit
· Radiator:
o Replaced radiator
o Replaced radiator cap
o Replaced radiator hoses
· Ignition/electrical:
o HEI ignition installed
o Timing verified
o New distributor, points, condenser
o New ignition coil and bracket
o New battery
o New voltage regulator
o New Alternator (replaced generator)
· Other:
o Replaced transmission fluid
o Replaced differential fluid
o Added truck air horn in addition to regular horn)
o NYS inspection
o Frame and suspension greased
o Multipoint vehicle inspection by heavy truck garage
o New gauge cluster replacement
0 18 Read More
Re: Fuel gauge not reading. Otto Skorzeny Mon Oct 03 2022 02:18 AM
Is the float arm long enough for the float to touch the bottom of the tank and the top of the tank?

If not, you'll only get an approximation of fuel volume.

You can bend the arm if necessary or weld an addition to it if it isn't long enough.

Or buy one of those sending units that Jon Goodman recommends that has an adjustable arm for different applications.
30 617 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted Jump to new posts
Re: 1940 1/2 ton Emergency Brake DadsFirstPickup Mon Oct 03 2022 02:05 AM
Thanks 32. That is what I envisioned for the brake handle but was unable to find aftermarket that resembled the pull over with palm release as your pic shows. It looks like the assembly mounts to the transmission with two bolts. Again what I envisioned. Much appreciated info.
4 58 Read More
Re: Headlights Only Work on High Beam bartamos Mon Oct 03 2022 01:55 AM
Bill,
At 1:15 today I told him he does not need to test prior to full install. So the question was answered because no pretest necessary.
Otto has this down. It has all been covered. He understands the circuits, he has new wire, he gas new components and the nature of the wiring allows for easy change in case......... It's time to get it done, too simple to waste time testing. Wire it and turn it on.

6 pages is enough
56 821 Read More
Re: 6 volt tail light bulb upgrade question kthomas Mon Oct 03 2022 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by klhansen
Sounds like someone tried adding turn signals, but messed it up and gave up. ohwell

1154 bulbs share the same base as an 1157. The only difference is voltage.

That's kinda what I thought too.
12 80 Read More
'60-'66 Trucks Jump to new posts
Re: 1963 Steering Column Rebuild DIY Lugnutz Mon Oct 03 2022 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Woogeroo
awesome content Lugnutz, thanks for creating and sharing.

-Woog

The 4 part steering column DIY is done. 1963-66 C10 DIY STEERING COLUMN PAGE - LINK [lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com]
11 2,179 Read More
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: First two real drives; questions on ride quality! Wayne67vert Sun Oct 02 2022 11:25 PM
Looks like a good angle to me, but I'm not an expert. I did sleep at a hotel recently!
30 640 Read More
Trucks for Sale Jump to new posts
Re: 1965 C10 patina build $15,000 Peggy M Sun Oct 02 2022 11:12 PM

When you go to your Flickr account [flickr.com], click on the first image and a "photostream" comes up. Then continue with the arrows on the right. One thing: keep clicking if a truck picture doesn't come up. It's an ad. It says it may take 5 seconds ... then click again. Fortunately, (at least on my computer) the ad itself doesn't show up ... just words about an ad.

If you enlarge the view, it doesn't do the ad pauses. thumbs_up
5 57 Read More
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Whistling at part throttle Otto Skorzeny Sun Oct 02 2022 11:07 PM
Hudson's emblem is an inverted triangle. It's interesting that their carburetor had a triangular intake.
15 210 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale Jump to new posts
Panel R17T licence light glass lens $20 Jethro in Va Sun Oct 02 2022 10:59 PM
From a '59 Panel on the farm that has melted to the ground. Used some parts for my 54 3100 project and saw this. Good front bumper and that's about it.
0 16 Read More
Re: Just an observation, vehicles forsale Peggy M Sun Oct 02 2022 10:29 PM
That truck on the Branson site is super nice. I looked at the others on the site. Not many regular trucks. frown
13 274 Read More
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Engine Oil Dipstick in My 1953 Chevrolet Panel truck Garageguy6078 Sun Oct 02 2022 10:26 PM
Buoymaker, I dont want something to run on the highway this day and age the way people drive, way too many nuts on the road today !!! Back when these trucks where made where i come from and grew up,there was no highways then. I choose to run rt 40 and back roads and enjoying my rides instead of being pushed down the road !! Just my opioin.
6 79 Read More
Doors Jump to new posts
Re: 1950 3100 door upgrade miller ashland Sun Oct 02 2022 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info that helps.

John
4 132 Read More
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop