The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (aircommando462, DougMac, 9% grade, beachbum, dougs, 2 invisible), 169 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,053
Posts1,001,163
Members44,827
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Old Dominion Stovebolt Society (MD, VA, WV & DC) Jump to new posts
Truck Carlisle Mike B Thu Aug 05 2021 03:49 AM
Anyone going to Truck Carlisle this weekend?

I'll be there with the '56 pickup parked with the ATHS guys on the East side of Pavilion "A", which is on the far East side of the grounds.

Mike B smile
0 1 Read More
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
Re: Throttle choke cable repair Rich'sToys Thu Aug 05 2021 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by Tiny
Before I started jumping through those hoops I'd pull the old cable and soak it in PB Blaster. Just coil it up and lay it in a pan of penetrant. Let it soak a day. If that's not long enough soak it two days. I'd warm the penetrant too. If you can save the OEM cable you'll be ahead of the game.

Another thing that sometimes helps is to take the cable and use it like a whip and hit the garage floor a few times. Helps to break the rust loose and get it moving again.
3 46 Read More
Welcome Centre Jump to new posts
Re: 1940 3/4 ton truck from a new member Rich'sToys Thu Aug 05 2021 03:31 AM
Looking good!
Welcome to the Bolt!
9 184 Read More
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: identification help Mike B Thu Aug 05 2021 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by Rich'sToys
[quote=EdPruss]Ed, am I understanding correctly that the 10 hole wheels are only available in 19.5" and not 22.5"?
I'm only asking for future reference. My '47 has 20" tires on the old style rims right now. Hopefully they'll outlast me, but if they don't, I know I'll have to upgrade the rims also. Just so I know what to look for if that ever happens.
Maybe that's the reason my '59 has 19.5's on it.

If your '47 has 2-piece rims with a solid lock ring, you're fine. Those are not the outlawed widow maker RH-5's and are still serviced by big truck and Ag tire shops.

If you were to find late 50's 10-lug 22.5's they will have a larger center hole (5.25") and would require a reducing bushing to make them fit your (4.75") hubs.

Mike B smile
8 175 Read More
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Slight bend in W-1 metering rod? Red4TBob Thu Aug 05 2021 03:19 AM
I’m getting ready to reassemble a W-1 carb and noticed there is a slight bend in the metering rod.
Is this normal?
If it is normal does it matter which way it goes on?

I’m pretty sure it’s a 684s because of the flat rod that runs up to the choke if that makes a difference.

BTW it’s going back on a 1940 216.
Thanks for the help
0 2 Read More
'73-'87 Trucks -- "The Rounded Line" Jump to new posts
Re: Dash pad replacement Rette Stine Thu Aug 05 2021 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by ShannonH
I have a 1986 GMC that needs a new dash pad. Has anyone replaced their dash pad recently? If so, where did you buy the replacement pad that you used and how satisfied are you with the results? Also, what is the level of difficulty with doing this with the windshield in place? Thanks!

How did it go? Have you successfully replace the dash pad on your car?
5 466 Read More
Re: '52 Chevy Flat Bed Dump Questions Mike B Thu Aug 05 2021 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by bobcritch
I took Burgy's suggestion and went through the deciphering process of my truck's VIN with the following results:

5 - It was a product of the Kansas City, MO plant
VK - 4400 Model Series, 1.5 ton, 161" wheelbase
B - Came off the KC assembly line in February of '52
1191 - It was the 191st 1952 truck off of that line

Here's my take on your serial number...

5 = Kansas
VK = 1952 4400
B = Month (Feb)
1191 = Unit number starting with 1001 for each series. So you have the 191st VK out of Plant 5.

Mike B smile
4 258 Read More
Re: 53 3100 front brake drum rivets 53again Thu Aug 05 2021 02:52 AM
Sounds like a good idea, thanks Jerry
4 108 Read More
Re: 47 Chevy 6400 losing prime Mike B Thu Aug 05 2021 02:46 AM
Check valve in the fuel pump is stuck open...

Mike B smile
1 10 Read More
Re: Dont know where to place the thread..getting close to on street, plate ques Mike B Thu Aug 05 2021 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by John Milliman
If your truck is more than 50 years old, it qualifies (in MD) for the one-time fee and a permanent tag. THAT is a good deal.

The "50 Year" tag is just to recognize the vehicle's age, it's not permanent yet...once it turns 60 years old it qualifies for the "Permanent" sticker to be placed on the "50 Year" tag.

Here's the link to all you need to know!

https://mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/Pages/info/27300/27300-28T.aspx#historic

Mike B smile
10 117 Read More
Re: RVA hardshell Thu Aug 05 2021 02:06 AM
Did you get your truck going Captain ?
12 483 Read More
Re: Winchester, Virginia 23-25 Sep 21 hardshell Thu Aug 05 2021 01:56 AM
Definitely going to be there .

Jim
12 261 Read More
Paint and Body Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Sandblasting vs wire wheel vs scotchbright for rust removal? Achipmunk Thu Aug 05 2021 01:31 AM
...and to add another view. I've had real good results with POR-15. Some prep work, like anything else, is needed but POR15 is some tuff stuff. Its "my choice". ....like I said, just another view point and I've used it on 3 vehicles so far. Chassis and floor pans.
7 63 Read More
Driveline Jump to new posts
55-57 vs 58-59 fender shape? Fibonachu Thu Aug 05 2021 01:21 AM
Curses. This is the wrong forum. Can I get this moved to body? I was on the wrong tab...

My 58 has a pretty big section of the driver side fender that is collapsed and I want to put in a patch panel for it. Unfortunately the damage is about 14" tall, and the patch panels are only about 9.5" tall.

Looking at the Classic Parts catalog, they have a rear half section for 55-57 fenders. I am wondering if the lower section of the fender is the same between the two year ranges.

Since GM used the same cab for that while rang, I *think* the section below the curve should match? Does anyone know if I am crazy? I would rather not buy the parts on a risk.
0 14 Read More
Name that part ... Jump to new posts
Re: Unknown Rear End 52Carl Thu Aug 05 2021 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
An M-II on a truck is sending a boy to do a man's job, but it's OK as long as you're not planning to do real truck stuff. Hauling an iced-down Yeti cooler to a tailgate party in your Cowboy Cadillac would probably be OK, as long as you stick to imitation beer like Bud light!
smile
Jerry
Whoa?! "Imitation beer" ?
Since when is Politics Allowed?
Where is the Moderator? This ain't the Maytag Repair Shop. Take action. The humanity, and whatnot.
I'd be a whole lot madder if I wasn't sipping on a jar of Apple Pie recently acquired from the hills of WV.
5 68 Read More
The Legion Hall Jump to new posts
Re: "Same song- - - -second verse"- - - - Hotrod Lincoln Thu Aug 05 2021 12:43 AM
Update- - - - -I survived the "probe"- - - -and there were no gray aliens with teardrop-shaped heads and big eyes anywhere in sight, unless they called them in after they put the magic juice into my IV! And- - - -contrary to the opinion of a few moderators on several internet chat rooms- - - - There are a couple of defects! A few internal "roids" and diverticulitis don't require any drastic action, so they said "Come back and see us in 10 years!" By then, I'll be 85!

Now, the next chapter of the story will get written in one week- - - -I 'm scheduled for a re-test of my hearing loss by yet another VA contractor. The first test back in February was "inconclusive". My father was 89 years old before the VA figured out that piloting a B-17 and listening to four 1200 HP unmuffled Wright Cyclone radial engines for hundreds of hours caused his hearing loss- - - -so he was only able to collect a few months' worth of compensation before he passed away. I hope they're ready to deal with a very persistent patient where I'm concerned!
Jerry
8 251 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted Jump to new posts
Re: 47/55 used deluxe panel fender trim gordyshort Thu Aug 05 2021 12:29 AM
buying
2 84 Read More
Re: tie rod ends/pitman arm joints- Rebuild or buy new? showme Thu Aug 05 2021 12:25 AM
Well, I agree that rare parts "are not inexpensive"! Not to mention out of stock on a lot of parts. I could buy a whole set of shocks for the price of one of theirs. Even their tie rod rebuild kit is exorbitant. Do they make their parts by hand? Made in America, I hope. They're up there with Chev's of the 40's price range. I appreciate the referral, but I think i'll pass and stick with Classic parts. I figure if I keep it greased, I can at least try to rebuild the ends. If all else fails, I'll try the complete tie rod end part, but I don't know if I even really need them. I don't expect this truck to drive like today's trucks, because it isn't one. It had been my daily driver until last year when the timing gear went out about the same time I bought my '05 Silverado 3500 for pulling loads and rental equipment, but until I fix the king pins, et al, I decided it needs to be right before I start driving it regularly again. The front tires are completely bald on the outer edges and starting to develop cracks. But when I get it up and running again, it will be my daily driver again (when I'm not working on the 40 acres in the woods or hauling heavy equipment or a trailer with supplies.)
Can anybody give me any tips on the rebuilding of these tie rod ends? I've read they need heated and peened, Aside from that, it looks pretty straight forward. Pull the cotter key, pull the plug, pull the guts, replace them, and put it back together. Is that right, or is there some dirty secret that I haven't heard about on these?
4 53 Read More
Paint and Body Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Front fenders not lining up on 59 chevy truck Lsuman99 Wed Aug 04 2021 11:56 PM
Good suggestion on the assembly manual. I have one and will take a look. Thanks.
6 88 Read More
The Electrical Bay Jump to new posts
Re: Distributor Problem-possibly or someother elctrical gremlin Hotrod Lincoln Wed Aug 04 2021 11:06 PM
OK, I re-read your original post. Getting 0 volts at the distributor side of the coil- - - -WITH THE POINTS CLOSED- - - - - is normal since the non-moving point is grounded. That's what lets the primary current flow to ground and energize the coil. If you're getting 0 volts at the side terminal of the distributor or the downstream side of the coil with the points open, you have created an unintentional ground at the distributor connector or the moving point during your installation of the new points. Recheck everything you have done recently- - - -it's easy to get the primary circuit grounded between the distributor housing and the points so that opening the points doesn't interrupt the circuit.
Jerry
3 67 Read More
Re: '40 rear end ??? Wheelie Wed Aug 04 2021 10:56 PM
The Colorado came with a choice of 3.42, 3.73 and 4.11 gears. There is also the limited slip that was offered on the four wheel drives and anything with a towing package.
30 528 Read More
Re: 1946 Chevy COE 1.5 Ton Brake Adjust JeepersCreepers Wed Aug 04 2021 10:12 PM
2 37 Read More
Project Journals Jump to new posts
Re: Restoring the basketcase Gray_Ghost Wed Aug 04 2021 09:02 PM
Kevin,

I'll look for those spot welds that you mention. I needed a saw blade to separate the rocker panel from the lock pillar, so using one for the last bit won't be a problem. At least from a thought perspective. Things seems kind of tight back there, so getting an actual sawzall into that space may be difficult. If so, I'll use the blade and cut it by hand. Any way, one step at at time. Thanks for the heads up.
16 473 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale Jump to new posts
AM radio 6or 12 volts Wrenchbender Ret. Wed Aug 04 2021 08:14 PM
I have an AM radio that plays on 6 or 12 volts neg. or pos. ground. It has switches to select which one. I tested it & it plays real good. It will really work good for a 6 volt truck & a 6 volt pos. ground GMC. $25 shipped. I have an original equipment Delco 6X9 speaker i used for testing. I will throw it in free except for shipping. It has a heavy magnet. It sounds real good.

George
0 30 Read More
Re: Tires?????? WE b OLD Wed Aug 04 2021 07:38 PM
No sun exposure on a daily basis. Tread depth front and rear 5/32. The front may be slightly more. The 5 is not completely exposed.
4 78 Read More
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop