The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
35 registered members (amtrakjoe, 55 SHAKER, 68ironhead, 1953 panel, 6 invisible), 461 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics109,600
Posts861,767
Members40,466
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Interiors
Fri Feb 23 2018 05:38 PM
Have any of you guys tried engine turning, also called jeweling an damascening, to put geometric patterns on metal parts like dash guage holders
0 2 Read More
Interiors
Fri Feb 23 2018 05:10 PM
Unless your doing a concourse restoration, put in what you want and feel you can work with.🛠
1 7 Read More
Events, GABFests, Happenings!
Fri Feb 23 2018 04:51 PM
Well the weather looks like it won’t cooperate with driving the ‘62. Rain is forecasted til midday. Looks like I’ll be in a Black F350 dually. Look for it in the parking lot. See y’all there.
8 276 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted
Fri Feb 23 2018 04:22 PM
Ok sounds good. Which would you be interested in?
2 22 Read More
The Engine Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 04:17 PM
Too Tall, I'll post an update when (if) he has them available.

Attached are a few pix of a TF high capacity radiator.The core is about 1/2" thicker, but that's hard to see in the pictures. The pix do show how the mounting brackets have a 90 degree angle from the core support to fit the increased width of the radiator as compared to the 45 degree angle of a standard radiator. The pix also show the integral mounting tabs for the factory shroud.

Matt
9 194 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 04:06 PM
Yes they were aluminum rivets and I believe 1/8 mandrel. The pieces really did come together nice and tightly, on a couple occasions, I had to redo a couple and clamp the two pieces with very small vise grips with some of that cured rubberized coating on the jaws. Funny thing, I set out thinking if it didn't work out to my satisfaction, I could always use the stainless hardware and fasten it with small bolts,lockwashers and nuts but this ended up a cleaner install than all that. Disassembly was really easy by drilling out the rivets.
13 288 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 03:52 PM
This thread hits home really badly. Just last year, I was painting like a mad man in my detached shop. The chassis was in the garage attached to the house. The cab was on the dolly under the carport and all the painted fenders,grill bumpers, interior trim, seat frame, tailgate bedsides and front panel,wheels came into the house in the recroom. More of the truck was in there than not for many months. I went to harbor freight and bought a bunch of those 5 by 7 moving blankets for the parts to sit on. I didn't wrap or cover anything. I used single stage urethane with a hardner, so after a day or so, you really couldn't smell any off gasing. We had some really nice weather for about 90 days straight and once painted, it sat out in the sun for about a week minimum, before coming in.
10 355 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 03:43 PM
Ya'll have pretty much said what the voices in my head have been telling me. Put it in the right place. Here's the kicker, since I decided to keep the spot light, the mirror has been 3/4 blocked and useless. Moving it to the original location will make it completely useless. Not that you can see the whole world through a 4" round mirror! I guess if I concentrate hard enough, the back side of the spot light can be used as an extreme convex mirror!

Thank you for the opinions and compliments!
6 118 Read More
The Old Dominion Stovebolt Society (MD, VA, WV & DC)
Fri Feb 23 2018 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by amtrakjoe
I am amazed at the wide array of followers we have managed to group.

Welcome to Stovebolt, Joe wink
20 237 Read More
Big Bolts
Fri Feb 23 2018 03:31 PM
I have had this hood latch panel on my shelves for years. I always thought it was from a GMC half ton since I got it with a load of half ton parts.But now I see it has an extra hole and it too deep to be a half ton. Someone suggested it may be from a Cab Over. I need some help to ID
Thank you in advance John
0 13 Read More
The Engine Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 02:54 PM
"If you've got a good flaps they may let u behind the counter to look"

Good morning 52vff

A local OReilly Auto Parts has a huge inventory or radiator hoses and they let me search through that inventory to find upper and lower hoses that are an exact fit for my street rod.
5 122 Read More
The Engine Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 02:14 PM
Jeff, an alternative that you might want explore is a Frantz bypass filter. The replacement filter is very inexpensive...a roll of single ply toilet paper!

http://www.frantzfilters.com/

The newer, modern style advertised on the website is a bit pricey.

The older model called the Sky that was made by John Frantz starting back in the 50's is usually easy to find on eBay with prices ranging anywhere from about $25 for a used one to $100 for a NOS one. John Frantz sold the rights to the older models to a guy named Ed who is a great guy to deal with and carries all of the parts such as gaskets for the old Sky model. He also sells a newer model similar to the Sky called the Refiner. Here is his website--

http://www.toiletpaperoilfilter.com/thetoiletpaperoilfiltercompany.html

The Frantz bracket will mount to the intake manifold just like the AC or Fram bypass canisters that we are accustomed do seeing. It is as easy to install as an AC or Fram bypass canister. You can use hard lines or soft lines if it is mounted to the manifold.

Skeptics might think the idea is nuts. Hotrod Lincoln is the one who got me to think about using a Frantz a couple years ago when I was working on a project to install a spin-on canister filter on a full flow 261 combined with a bypass filter. He recommended the Frantz instead of a typical bypass canister.

If you want to do some research, do a Google search and you'll find plenty of information.

Matt

6 101 Read More
Driveline
Fri Feb 23 2018 02:11 PM
I don’t believe the NV1500 will work on anything but what it came out of. Does it have the bellhousing cast into the transmission case? If so, it’s a no go.

GM started changing their lineup in the mid 90’s. I know T5’s are getting harder to find in the salvage yards.

Dodge and Jeep had versions of the NV1500, NV3500, and AX15. Novak makes Adapters for GM bellhousing.

Chevy Colorado’s and Canyons had AR5/MA5 transmissions. Toyota had the R154. FYI,
They all share the same mounting flange as the Jeep transmissions.
19 5,511 Read More
Driveline
Fri Feb 23 2018 02:10 PM
Are you running residual valves and a proportioning valve? Do you know the bore size or a link to the kit?
6 154 Read More
Trucks for Sale
Fri Feb 23 2018 11:43 AM
If you text me I'll text you back some photos
2 159 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale
Fri Feb 23 2018 04:16 AM
I have a complete Bendix style brake system that came off a 52 1/2 ton,I went with disc and a newer rear end so I do not need them. Asking 50 dollars and in the Dayton Ohio area
0 25 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 04:01 AM
I’ll be picking up my cab from the weld shop Saturday morning. I’m in Arizona I should have my cab home Saturday afternoon we did the same thing but cross braced the cab and double Checked door gaps before they cut the floor out and welded the new floor in they also had to highly modified the cab corners as the aftermarket ones were not exact fit.
P.m. me I’ll send you my phone number we can measure while on the phone
1 69 Read More
The Engine Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 03:18 AM
All you really need is an air hose and an old spark plug. File, grind, or hacksaw the crimp on the plug shell to release the porcelain and use a 1/4" pipe tap to thread the plug shell for an air line quick-connector. I've got a couple of those adapters stashed away somewhere, one for 14MM plug threads and another for the old Ford 18MM plugs. One of these days, I'll have to make one for the 10MM threads on some of the old 216's.

If you have a compression tester with screw-in adapters for the plug holes, just take the Schrader valve out of the tester hose and adapt the air pressure to it. A lot of compression testers use the same quick-connect fittings that air hose couplers have.
Jerry

6 118 Read More
Welcome Centre
Fri Feb 23 2018 03:00 AM
welcome to the site! Ditto, sounds like it is starving for fuel. First thing I'd do is unhook the fuel line at the fuel pump that goes back to the tank. Put a piece if fuel line on the pump going into a gas can and see if it will start and run from the gas can. It could very well be that your fuel line coming from the tank is swollen almost shut and collapsed internally. Or the fuel tank could also be full of all manner of evil!
4 46 Read More
Fri Feb 23 2018 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by 2-Ton
Andy
Firemen can't afford to be late!

Don

Don, you are correct. I'll have to work on my response time for sure!
10 215 Read More
The Engine Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 02:40 AM
It runs well, I didn't need to do anything at all the the carb. I'm running 1.5" straight pipes to the back of the truck.

I just swapped out the old single flapper exhaust with the Fentons. Excessive heat has not been a problem and I've run it in 100 degree weather with traffic.

If you have a set of the old Fentons with the heat manifold cast into them you've found yourself a gem. They are very hard to find...and when you do find a set in decent condition, people want an arm and a leg for them.
11 169 Read More
Interiors
Fri Feb 23 2018 02:23 AM
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your replies. You have all provided me with the detailed information that I need to make a decision on seat belts. This thread will serve others very well in the future too, regarding seat belts and three-point shoulder harness installation in AD trucks. Since my '47 doesn't have any seat belts, adding them will be an improvement none the less. I'm not going the three-point harness route since I'm built so close to the ground and the location of the shoulder harness anchor point will end up too high. I'll be installing lap belts. Juliano's is sending me some color samples. I plan on using the aviation-type buckles.

Thanks again for the great info.........
28 837 Read More
Fri Feb 23 2018 02:00 AM
Hardshell,

If you can teach me, the smoker will be there! I am still learning!

Chris
7 159 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted
Fri Feb 23 2018 01:44 AM
Looking for the drag link for K10. 60-66 may be the same.
0 16 Read More
The HiPo Shop
Fri Feb 23 2018 01:29 AM
Hello all, I posted last summer after purchasing a 48 3100. Ever since I've been reading most of the HiPo forum and much of the other forums and I am delighted with all the knowledge and experience you folks have. I finally got the truck in my shop and have started working on it. With my brother in law's help and guidance the truck has a sound floor, new front cab mounts, new cab corners and door bottoms and is structurally sound again. Thanks LMC trucks. I bought a 92 Chev 1/2 ton for a donor vehicle. It has a 305, 700R4, and a 3.08 axle. I'm going to use a carburetor. I think I remember reading that the cast iron intakes will work on these. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have both a Rochester quadrajet from a 350 and a Rochester 2 jet from a 283 with manifolds. Any advice as to which one would work better. Is the 1/2 ton axle too wide? I think it's 64 1/2". Has anyone used full size 1/2 ton rotors on the stock axle? I plan to have power steering as well. I started to pull the 305 today and hope to have mounts and a transmission cross member in soon. Thanks. Sonny
0 21 Read More
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop