The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (Hotrod Lincoln, JW51, JoeDude, Guitplayer, Johnny N, 1 invisible), 245 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,928
Posts991,826
Members44,563
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: No spark - multimeter troubleshooting Hotrod Lincoln Wed May 12 2021 08:03 PM
It's amazing that untold millions of vehicles that used point-type ignition systems traveled billions of trouble-free miles and did things like winning WW II- - - - -all without a single HEI ignition in sight!
Jerry
25 430 Read More
Re: 1953 3600 216 Replacement Carburetor Advice carbking Wed May 12 2021 07:20 PM
Just in the FWIW category:

Just checked shipping costs from Missouri to South Yorkshire via US Priority Mail.

Carburetor rebuilding kit - approximately $60.

Carburetor - approximately $160.00

This is WITHOUT adult signature. Adding the requirement of an adult signature would add a few dollars.

Again, even if a customer is OK with these costs, what about time?

In May of 2020, we shipped a carburetor kit to Canada. 11 weeks later, the customer called that he had not received it. Post Office tracer. Post Office could not determine what happened (USPS fault, Canadian Customs fault, Canadian Post Office fault). They continued to look for it for 6 months, never found it, and since the case was unresolved, WOULD NOT PAY, even though it was sent priority and insured! We did get an email from the Post Office every week for 6 months telling us they were still looking.

Sent second kit at our expense (both kit and postage). Took about 6 weeks.

I understand a customer wanting a part, but I am not going to fight this fight. Eating a repair kit PLUS international postage kind of removes the profit from the sale. Cheaper to NOT make the sale, and leave the parts on the shelf. Definitely not the customer's fault, but just not really a economically feasible sale.

Fortunately this time, it was only a repair kit. The previous time it was two restored carburetors. USPS and Canadian Customs both pointed fingers at the other, and we ate the carburetors.

And Chris, this is exactly why I gave you exact part numbers. Still trying to help, just not willing to lose money to do so.

Jon.
7 107 Read More
Driveline Jump to new posts
Re: SBC T5 in a 47? Just Mark Wed May 12 2021 06:35 PM
Thanks Fixite7. The mechanical linkage is currently in the "recycle bin". I just couldn't get it to work properly over the long haul. I did move the steering box over a bit when I put the motor in. I had Nostalgia Sid set me up with one of his custom drag links with modern joints set-up for just this type of situation.

I got the collar thingie turned down yesterday and reassembled on the trans today. Got the bellhousing back in the truck and rechecked the numbers. Everything looks pretty good. The gap should be .140. Right about where it's supposed to be. I mounted the new clutch master cylinder bracket and mocked up the linkage with the master cyl in place. It's adjusted to where I want it. I pulled the master cyl out for now. I'll attach the hydraulic line before I put it back in. Looks like Sunday afternoon we'll put it all back together, bleed the system and see what happens. Wish me luck.
176 22,037 Read More
The HiPo Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Rochester 2G on a 292 panic Wed May 12 2021 06:33 PM
that waffle pattern that really does the heavy lifting to atomize the fuel/air mixture

All that does is to collect any large fuel droplets, preventing them from washing down into the closest intake port.
30 214 Read More
Re: Offenhauser dual setup looking for carb recommendations Hotrod Lincoln Wed May 12 2021 06:12 PM
Notice the quotation marks around "clones"??????? A brand new imitation might run as well as, or possibly better than an original that's been worn out, "rebuilt", and worn out again a couple of times over the past 50-something years. Ditto for Edelbrock VS AFB.
Jerry
6 60 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted Jump to new posts
Re: WTB 1/2 Ton 6 Lug wheels BrianM Wed May 12 2021 05:37 PM
What width? I have some that I had powder coated Bombay Ivory. Located in Pittsburgh.
2 39 Read More
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: 1935-1939 Original Style Tail Lamps... Philipj Wed May 12 2021 05:35 PM
Yeah, it is called a slow boat to China! or in this case, from China!...;(
49 762 Read More
Re: 1935 207 Master Deluxe Clutch Issue Mike B Wed May 12 2021 05:25 PM
Did you take the pressure plate apart when it was out?

Did you put the clutch disc in facing the right way?

Just curious, what's the serial number on the engine (found on the flat pad down near the distributor)?

Mike B smile
4 79 Read More
Panels 'N Burbs Jump to new posts
Re: 1966 Suburban help DoubleDingo Wed May 12 2021 05:24 PM
4-5-6 Chevy Trucks or something like that. I have bought parts from him before.
9 80 Read More
Re: How much of Drivetrain Installed before Startup? DoubleDingo Wed May 12 2021 05:21 PM
I stand corrected. But I personally wouldn't have the clutch on there for a break-in.
6 28 Read More
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
Re: 1953 GMC 3/4 What is the best/most comprehensive manual? tom moore Wed May 12 2021 05:20 PM
the 1947-54 GMC Repair manuals will also provide many specs and step by step procedures for the various systems.
2 45 Read More
IT Short Bus Jump to new posts
Re: How to search this site for an exact phrase? klhansen Wed May 12 2021 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by reidy
I have found a good way is to go to websearch and type in Flywheel Bolts Stovebolt and it will generate a better list.

Steve
Not my experience, although if you use "site:stovebolt.com" it does give you a listing of individual posts with a preview, but lots of other extraneous crap.
7 80 Read More
Re: adding overdrive transmission to a 1951 3100 rfs56trk Wed May 12 2021 05:14 PM
Overdrive transmissions operate best when they are installed with the electrical components as the factory intended.
Fred
20 1,264 Read More
Paint and Body Shop Jump to new posts
Re: 1951 Grill Removal klhansen Wed May 12 2021 05:11 PM
Here's a vintage pic of the front end of a '53. You can see the lighter color inner grille bars, along with the painted bumper and hubcaps that were standard in that year. For '53 the inner grille bars, bumper and hubcaps were all painted Thistle Gray. In earlier years, inner grille bars were painted Waldorf White.

But it's your truck and if you want a white grille, go for it. thumbs_up
4 50 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted Jump to new posts
Parking brake Johnny N Wed May 12 2021 04:28 PM
I'm looking for the parking brake lever that the cable attaches to inside the drum for both sides left and right also the spreader bars for both sides on my 49 gmc 1-ton with huck brakes. Had nothing there when I got truck.
0 20 Read More
IT Short Bus Jump to new posts
Re: Private Message Indicator DoubleDingo Wed May 12 2021 03:57 PM
DUH!!! Shane, you have to read all of your messages!!! I thought I had, but discovered this morning I had one unread message. Now I know when the message title is NOT bold, it hasn't been read. No more flashing message indicator.
3 26 Read More
Doors Jump to new posts
Re: Block sanding doors AD trucks JoeDude Wed May 12 2021 03:41 PM
Unless your door edges are really beat up, I think, take extra time to get the best looking taper (not going to be perfect). I'm spending countless hours filling and sanding to avoid any wavy action. The top of the door and bottom curvature is straight and I use as a reference....but still a big pain in the B.
1 44 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale Jump to new posts
Re: OEM 1955 Suburban/Panel taillight lenses $25 shipped in US only pan3lman Wed May 12 2021 03:40 PM
These are now $25 obo shipped in the U.S.
4 134 Read More
Re: Engine grease-lifters Hotrod Lincoln Wed May 12 2021 03:05 PM
On the triple valve spring setup we used on round track engines, we ran stock springs for the 2K RPM cam break in, and then installed the heavy springs for dyno runs and racing.
Jerry
10 97 Read More
Project Journals Jump to new posts
Re: The wheelchair van project Hedgehog Wed May 12 2021 03:02 PM
Thanks, but no. If I can't get a warranty on a fresh build, I may as well stick with the GMC configuration. As stated above, Ed's 270 will slide onto the existing mounts and it shares some parts with my 248.

Fewer changes means faster results, and a primary consideration is not getting caught in the parking lot with my crank dangling.... [instantrimshot.com]
12 492 Read More
Freebies Jump to new posts
Re: 1950 3100 rear springs JoeDude Wed May 12 2021 02:52 PM
What part of Iowa, may I ask?
1 40 Read More
Re: Front Motor Mount is w/o Rubber fixite7 Wed May 12 2021 02:22 PM
cmayna Coal belt works good too.
7 119 Read More
Re: 216 motor and 235 motor question fixite7 Wed May 12 2021 01:54 PM
Idaho 39 Just oilem ,any lube almost !!
11 382 Read More
Re: New master cylinder not working Jon G Wed May 12 2021 01:51 PM
I don't have any idea what LMC is selling but the last master cylinder I bought (3 years ago) came from Rock Auto and was made in the USA. In fact even the rubber boot at the front was made in the USA. It was sold under the Cardone name and is still being sold by Rock Auto
( https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3251646&cc=1487426&jsn=409 ).

You can see "Made in USA" cast right into the side of it and the same one is being sold under the Raybestos name at a slightly higher price. I couldn't tell you who made it, but I was curious and checking on ThomasNet, I learned there is still one company (small, private company not divulging information or I would have personally contacted them) in the USA who is making both master cylinders, slave cylinders and other cast products. I also learned some of the ones being sold now are made in South America, some in Africa, several in China, some in India...really all over the world.
3 52 Read More
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
Re: Sending unit Jon G Wed May 12 2021 01:23 PM
He could be talking about the fuel sending unit, too.
3 77 Read More
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop