The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (ANDREW SALES), 355 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics110,752
Posts871,887
Members40,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Panels 'N Burbs
Sun May 27 2018 08:57 AM
Well all just trying to fix all the annoying bits with the bus. The bus Carburetor was playing up so managed to find an exchange one over here cured the bad running but when you stop like when fueling up its difficult to re start. If you leave it for a while it starts no problem.When it starts again it runs a great. I have done all the usual things points ,condenser,check & adjusted timing ,check & adjusted float level , checked & adjusted mixture.It always started fine with the old worn carb so is pointing to the recon carb any idea anyone. Thanks Andy.
36 7,461 Read More
The HiPo Shop
Sun May 27 2018 06:07 AM
Your factory frame is made out of "U" channel. Boxing it means welding plate steel on the open side of the "U", along the frame rails, so that you have a frame that is no longer a "U" channel- it becomes a "box" (it is now rectangular tubing, of sorts..) The stock frame was designed to flex, and it flexes a great deal- not the greatest thing for race car. Boxing the frame usually includes adding tubular cross members to stiffen the frame even further.
1 16 Read More
Big Bolts
Sun May 27 2018 05:43 AM
POR 15 applied and International Red added as top coat to the hoist. My father did the finish painting. Looks darn good! Picture links below.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...60131940883525554?authkey=CKjIqoDm8raseg
28 1,365 Read More
The Engine Shop
Sun May 27 2018 05:13 AM
Rules of thumb, mark towards the front. Exception may apply!
2 52 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Sun May 27 2018 05:07 AM
I just read another thread and someone mentioned an original fender with a spare tire well is hard to find and that you could possibly sell it for twice what a reproduction fender without a well would cost. Am I missing something or why do not all original fenders have the spare tire well?
5 26 Read More
Tons 'o Fun
Sun May 27 2018 03:47 AM
Still 4.10 hunting...ugh.

In the meantime, I’ve reflared all my lines (and replaced a couple that were suddenly too short...weird) and I am now ready to bleed these brakes and hopefully I have no leaks.

I also built a door panel for the interior out of “puckboard.” The white, hard, flexible plastic that hockey rinks use. I will have it padded and covered and then installed.

Just wish I could get that rear end.
198 43,023 Read More
The Engine Shop
Sun May 27 2018 03:41 AM
I'd try Hot Rod Lincoln, Jerry's recipe show here;

Re: Coolant temperature increase at idle [Re: Stove]
30/12/16 05:55 PM

Hotrod Lincoln
There are two main cooling passage contaminants, and they respond to different treatments. I've never used CLR in a cooling system, but it's a good idea. I used technical grade Hydrochloric acid (muriatic) in the really rusty ones, 3 or 4 ounces of acid to a full fill of water and the thermostat removed. (no antifreeze) Run the engine with about half the radiator covered with cardboard to raise the operating temp. (Don't let it boil). Follow up with a fresh fill of water and a box of baking soda to neutralize the acid. Flush thoroughly and refill with a 50/50 water antifreeze mix.

For greasy crud, I use a can of drain-cleaning lye and water, plus 1/2 a cup of Tide. Circulate until hot, flush, and refill with water/antifreeze. Most commercial "radiator flush" products are far too weak to do any good. If the freeze plugs aren't new, be aware you might uncover some weak spots and cause seep leaks with this process.
Jerry
8 177 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted
Sun May 27 2018 03:08 AM
Ok, Great. The 216 I have is a 1950. I will confirm the piece tomorrow. Got home late.
Confirm deflector and you need to two screws?
Todd
4 54 Read More
The Engine Shop
Sun May 27 2018 02:56 AM
It would probably be a good idea to run a thread chaser through the pressure plate to make sure the longer threads let you tighten the bolts down good.......just and thought.
5 64 Read More
Big Bolts
Sun May 27 2018 02:28 AM
Thanks guys! Good advice and your experiences count and are very much appreciated!

I agree Truckernix! I too am trying to save these beasts from a destiny with the crusher!

All the body parts are staight and clean. Should make someone's dreams come true! The frames are solid and straight. Sheet metal is intact, complete and in great shape. The running gear is good albeit it hasnt run in quite a while. Parting it out or using as a donor vehicle could easily put a serious smile on someone's mug! In fact, I would suggest using these as host rigs as they are in good shape for their age and storage conditions!! Being on the west coast, it seems most collectors I run into are from back east, up in Canada or in the American upper midwest (salt and rust country!) Quite a distance and can see the hesitancy of snagging one and trying to figure a way to get them home.

I just cant justify going to the crusher so I guess they'll sit where they are for a while more. If anyone knows of anyone else looking, please let them know--- I just dont want to start parting them out. Gotta let them go intact and complete.

Thanks to all and if there are more ideas, let's have them... each thought is much appreciated- Thanks-

PowderApe

PS: Freedom isnt free... Enjoy this Memorial Day holiday fully and remember it's true meaning is not simply fun and BBQs or the start of Summer- but a somber reflection upon those that gave their all so we CAN enjoy our freedoms. To all those that served: Thank you for your service and your sacrifices in the name of freedom. ...and that certainly includes our Canadian brothers in arms as well... Semper Fi
11 392 Read More
Driveline
Sun May 27 2018 02:26 AM
Thank you Kevin and Jerry.

I understand what you guys are saying now...sometimes it takes me a little while!

I'll start checking the other things.
4 50 Read More
General Truck Talk
Sun May 27 2018 02:25 AM
Actually, not saying the radiator doesn’t need refreshing but downshifting and getting the rpm into the mid 2,000 range can help by speeding up the fan, moving more air through the radaitor. And you’re not lugging the engine. Proper shifting makes for a happy truck!
8 135 Read More
The Electrical Bay
Sun May 27 2018 01:51 AM
Check the dimmer switch for shorts, grounds, corrosion, or loose connections.
Jerry
7 176 Read More
'60-'66 Trucks
Sun May 27 2018 01:49 AM
Maybe just do the motor. Get it driving and see how she stops and steers. Probably acceptable.
5 55 Read More
The BC Bolters
Sun May 27 2018 01:34 AM
White smoke out left exhaust. With any luck, intake or even head gasket ? Don't want to think about the alternatives !!!

Haven't had time to get her into a shop yet.

See youse guys 16th
8 127 Read More
The Engine Shop
Sun May 27 2018 01:33 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. Still I think there must be some acid that would dissolve the stuff. I'm just pouring it in the water pump opening until it reaches the top and letting it run to the back (which from the angle of this engine and length I assume would be about an inch and a half maybe 2 inches deep at the rear of the engine. Since I can not replace that rear plug and since I don't know if was steel nor brass I don't want to threaten it with the wrong acid. The CLR did wash quite a bit of crud out of there. For this purpose I have a nylon barb fitting screwed into the drain hole. Maybe I need to repeat that and leave it for a week or two. Or maybe as Jerry said, muriatic acid is the thing and just pour it in there with no dilution. The side plugs are steel. I can check them easily with a magnet. Thanks again.
Jon
6 173 Read More
The DITY Gallery
Sun May 27 2018 01:33 AM
Next, I'll give it a wash and put it back in my shop. I have a few things to move out of the way first. No passenger fender because next will be fabricating brackets for the AC compressor and installing that system.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban443.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban444.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban445.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban446.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban447.jpg
200 97,172 Read More
Interiors
Sun May 27 2018 01:25 AM
Where did you buy the curling up floor mat?
8 147 Read More
The Old Dominion Stovebolt Society (MD, VA, WV & DC)
Sun May 27 2018 12:43 AM
Thanks Victor. It was a nice challenge to bring the final pieces of the puzzle together, especially for a truck that John couldn't find replacement body panels. I even put him to work a few times when push came to shove! grin
66 11,779 Read More
The Electrical Bay
Sat May 26 2018 11:47 PM
To keep an 8V battery charged properly, the regulator had to be set to 9.25 volts or so. That was rough on bulbs, particularly headlights. Very few 8V conversions got set up properly, and the ones that did had problems with burned-out bulbs and short point life..
Jerry
16 230 Read More
Driveline
Sat May 26 2018 11:43 PM
Jim carter truck parts lists them in stock. 64 inch. For 1 ton. $65 each
8 94 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Sat May 26 2018 11:34 PM
Bartamos
Good point.
2 34 Read More
The Electrical Bay
Sat May 26 2018 10:58 PM
Now that's some gnarly old wiring Joe.
41 766 Read More
Driveline
Sat May 26 2018 09:55 PM

thanks , that worked. I guess thats for the electronic speedos.

John
2 25 Read More
Driveline
Sat May 26 2018 09:22 PM
Thanks for the help, I understand a bit better now, I did have the pinion ring backwards I noticed where the retainer bolts had left thier mark on it which confermed that, I managed to take off and re press the bearing with no damage so, so far so good I guess
7 87 Read More
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop