The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (D B Cooper, Achipmunk, delky, cmayna, 53 green 1- ton, 1 invisible), 98 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,741
Posts942,025
Members43,035
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Driveline Jump to new posts
Re: original rims woof359 Fri Apr 03 2020 07:36 PM
been doing some research on finding new wheels, found a few people selling and ordered a set from Summit, but now there stuck out there some place in limbo understandably

I well keep my old ones and get them redone one of these days
2 279 Read More
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
tire size woof359 Fri Apr 03 2020 07:25 PM
still waiting for new wheels to arrive, I was wondering what size tires people are runningon on there 3100's and are you staying with bias ply or going to radials ?
0 5 Read More
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Freeze plug Johnny N Fri Apr 03 2020 07:07 PM
7 100 Read More
The Old Dominion Stovebolt Society (MD, VA, WV & DC) Jump to new posts
Re: HEY! Wake up in here! 53 green 1- ton Fri Apr 03 2020 06:45 PM
Ditto on this end Don!
19 253 Read More
'60-'66 Trucks Jump to new posts
Re: Soundproofing Achipmunk Fri Apr 03 2020 06:42 PM
...where does your dual exhaust exit the truck. I once had the problem on a late model. If the exhaust pipes are turned to the outside, behind the wheel, you may be getting some exhaust noise from your type of mufflers?
..just a thought.
5 122 Read More
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: 51 coe progress Achipmunk Fri Apr 03 2020 06:31 PM
Good work and thanks for the pictures. We once had an AD cab over we called "Rag Doll". I love them.
15 642 Read More
The Electrical Bay Jump to new posts
Re: fuse blowing Forty9 Fri Apr 03 2020 06:30 PM
Sounds like your brown wire is shorted to ground. To isolate you may be able to just pull the parking light bulbs out and replace them one at a time to see which blows fuse. Put an ohmmeter between the wire and ground looking for a short. You could also pull the bulbs out one at a time to see when the short goes away. Fix will probably be a lot simpler than finding it. Good luck
13 270 Read More
Re: Can I locate original VIN on a '51 ? dgrinnan Fri Apr 03 2020 05:47 PM
It was diifferent from state to state. Only SOME states used the engine serial number. Most used the serial number from the Vehicle Serial Number Plate on the driver door jam. The numbers from the engine and the Vehicle Serial Number Plate never matched and as pointed out in a previous post there was never a vin on the frame even though some guys insist their truck has one.

No engine and no Vehicle Serial Number Plate on the door jam you have no choice but to get a vin issued by your state DMV. It takes anywhere from 3-9 months.
7 92 Read More
Tons 'o Fun Jump to new posts
Re: 1950 Front Leaf Springs Frank50 Fri Apr 03 2020 05:00 PM
The 3800 springs are wider and longer than 3100 & 3600 springs...
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0202.htm
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0316.htm
I should have mentioned St. Louis Spring, but I forgot. I got a good quote from them for new front springs for my 3600 years ago. And they have a good rep.
10 113 Read More
Welcome Centre Jump to new posts
Re: New in South Carolina Rusty Rod Fri Apr 03 2020 04:58 PM
welcome plesae post pix of your fleet
4 36 Read More
Re: New from the UK Rusty Rod Fri Apr 03 2020 04:57 PM
nice finds fortunatelly these old trucks are easy to work on especially with the knowledge you will find here
3 21 Read More
'60-'66 Trucks Jump to new posts
Re: 60-66 Rear bumpers (lengths) Woogeroo Fri Apr 03 2020 04:22 PM
That's why we are all here. grin

-Woog
14 194 Read More
Re: The Carburetor Shop Virtual Carburetor Museum Woogeroo Fri Apr 03 2020 03:57 PM
very neat stuff carbking, thanks for going to all of that trouble.

I'm sure that will come in handy for a lot of folks.

-Woog
7 189 Read More
Re: New Member from western Canada Woogeroo Fri Apr 03 2020 03:54 PM
Yep, the engine folks are going to need more information, like TC wrote.

Welcome to the 'bolt.

-Woog
2 24 Read More
Re: steering box lube? drdoug Fri Apr 03 2020 03:19 PM
Thanks, Kevin.

If anyone is interested in getting some Chevron Delo EP 00 (synthetic gearbox semi-fluid grease), I still have some extra beyond my needs that I can package in either standard grease cartridges or quart-size jug containers. Just search for my posting in the Swap Meet or send me a PM.

I know lots of people use the J-D Corn Head grease, but at NLGI 0, it's just a bit thick by my way of thinking. Mobil, Shell, Chevron all make suitable EP 00 greases, the downside is just that the minimum buy is in a 5 gallon (35#) pail. I selected the Delo EP 00 because of its availability to me, its superior specs, and because its base oil viscosity matches the original spec, at SAE 90 wt, equivalent. So, I have about a 100 year supply. LOL. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Doug
12 126 Read More
Re: 1959 Apache 235 Wrenchbender Ret. Fri Apr 03 2020 02:30 PM
The resistor on that model is a ceramic unit on the outside of the firewall near the v.reg. & horn relay. Read the directions on the Petronix carefully. Some combinations use a resistor in the circuit & some don't. It is important to get the right setup. The last one I had was a 56 I put Petronix on. I used the resistor. It worked fine, started instantly but I accidently left the key on without the engine running one time when I was testing lights. Over night it blew the coil wide open.

George
5 69 Read More
Re: T5 adapter plate fabrication/rear end? Hotrod Lincoln Fri Apr 03 2020 01:59 PM
If you're going to make a spacer, you'll need a lathe, not a milling machine. The diameter and concentricity of the center hole is important. Start with a big hole saw with the proper thickness of spacer material mounted on a face plate, and finish the hole accurately with a boring tool.The rest of the shape of the plate can be done with a scribe and a bandsaw once the plate fits the bearing retainer properly. Get the center hole right, clamp it to the transmission, and use a transfer punch to locate the bolt holes. Then scribe a line around the transmission ears and cut the plate to fit with a bandsaw. Simple and easy!

Don't waste time trying to change the center section of the rear axle. If you do that, you'll need to lock the pivoting spring mounts some way, and welding cast parts with rubber bushings inside them is a pain in the rear end (yours, not the truck!), and rarely works for very long. Swap the whole housing since you've got it already.
Jerry
17 11,414 Read More
Re: 1946 Chevy engine identification Achipmunk Fri Apr 03 2020 01:53 PM
Dr.C welcome to the bolt......just remember to ask questions in the most appropiate forums.
3 74 Read More
Re: New to the forum 46 chevy 1/2 ton Achipmunk Fri Apr 03 2020 01:45 PM
Fred, welcome to the Stovebolt and wow what a nice truck. See you around the garage.
15 138 Read More
Re: Torque values Joe H Fri Apr 03 2020 01:31 PM
Check here for a service manual, http://www.oldirononline.com

or, check here, http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/index.htm

One or the other should have a shop manual that shows torque settings.
1 56 Read More
The DITY Gallery Jump to new posts
Re: Mighty Morphin Suburban! glenns towing Fri Apr 03 2020 01:26 PM
Ha. That could make for interesting journey.
26 1,402 Read More
Re: New to forum from the Ozarks Achipmunk Fri Apr 03 2020 01:22 PM
Hello Andrew, welcome to the Stovebolt where Chevy and GMC trucks rule...and a few Internationals. While a 76 is a few years newer than what we cover here I am sure you will find lots of information that you can use and can get answers to questions when ask in the most appropiate forums.

....we do have some members here from Italy so watch for them. I have personally met Vince who resides in Milan.
1 13 Read More
Re: 1953 GMC 1/2 ton 4 Speed longbed (102) Achipmunk Fri Apr 03 2020 01:17 PM
Welcome to the Stovebolt, Glenn, consider yourself at home. If you can't find it here....you don't need it!!
6 68 Read More
Re: New from the UK. Achipmunk Fri Apr 03 2020 01:16 PM
Welcome to Stovebolt, Andy, no better place can be found.
8 97 Read More
Re: 1947 ignition switch wiring Rubidu8 Fri Apr 03 2020 01:08 PM
Thanks everyone! Very helpful information! David
6 85 Read More
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop