The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Planning for 2019

The Stovebolt Staff drives on to a NEW YEAR

Sincere thanks to all of you who contribute to the site in the various ways.

Keep your eyes on those gauges in

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (Greg_H, Fox, DennisM, carryall jerry, double doot, 1 invisible), 240 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics112,984
Posts894,763
Members41,477
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Engine Shop
Sat Jan 19 2019 04:06 PM
Since a lot of the trucks that ran the 292 were driven by mouth-breathers who would fire up a heavily-loaded truck with a cold engine and take off without a warmup, that bypass was intended to keep the coolant circulating and prevent hot spots around the cylinder walls. Nothing new about that- - - -my grandparents' coal and ice delivery trucks back in the 1930's got the same sort of abuse. Dad made his bones as a mechanic as a high school kid with a Harley Davidson with saddle bags full of tools, keeping those trucks running.
Jerry
4 78 Read More
The Engine Shop
Sat Jan 19 2019 04:01 PM
Have you seen the new crate motor Chevrolet performance is working on? Stuff is likely to change very drastically in my lifetime...

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u...ews/us/en/2018/oct/sema/1029-e-copo.html

Be sure to watch the burnout at the bottom!
0 5 Read More
IT Short Bus
Sat Jan 19 2019 03:58 PM
I had an Amazon Fire tablet and in the instructions, it said not to charge it in a car. I also Have a new LG Stylo 4 cell phone with a fast charging cord and adapter. Would it harm it to charge it in the car? I know I will have to get new cards because it is a different size on the end that goes into the phone. Also, my car has a 120-volt receptacle would that be alright to use?
0 3 Read More
The Tool Chest
Sat Jan 19 2019 02:59 PM
Decades ago when I took a machining class at a local high school I was taught what I thought was the simplest drill sharpening method that could possible exist, way simpler than any other I've ever seen. Then along came this video that demonstrates an even simpler method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxl8_rSaJVI

I haven't tried it yet but I intend to. It seems like it requires no skill at all, just some dull drill bits and a bench grinder.
11 1,233 Read More
The DITY Gallery
Sat Jan 19 2019 02:28 PM
Making round corners!
236 110,895 Read More
The Engine Shop
Sat Jan 19 2019 02:20 PM
Thanks Ed.
7 221 Read More
General Truck Talk
Sat Jan 19 2019 02:19 PM
Looking for a factory made hard bed cover for a 1953 3100. I've seen Pros Pick. Any others out there?
0 15 Read More
General Truck Talk
Sat Jan 19 2019 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Whitedog
. . . 52 Buick . . . Those two round horns or whatever they are would have to go.

If you are talking about the bumps above the grill - they are a designer's aberration on a dagmar bumper (another "designer's perversion).

1947-1953 or 1954/55st - do what you like - or, go with the grill that brung you there.
13 211 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted
Sat Jan 19 2019 12:23 PM
Thank you Mike, That's what I thought. Now I can use the emblems that I have. Thanks again' Gerry
2 50 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted
Sat Jan 19 2019 05:36 AM
Still looking. Here's a pic of what I need.
3 98 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Sat Jan 19 2019 05:04 AM
Hello all, other than the front fenders and bumper, does 1-ton front end parts fit 1/2 ton? I assume so, but just confirming
Like grill, hood, headlights, cab, under hood parts, etc
0 13 Read More
General Truck Talk
Sat Jan 19 2019 04:46 AM
Thanks for the inspiration. I just bought a 54 with a dump bed. Not sure I'll ever get to where yours is but I hope to clean it up here and there.
8 387 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Sat Jan 19 2019 04:45 AM
Here is the interior shot showing the inner cab roof panel, Rob. I would have to cut large hole in this perfect panel. Ugh.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a1EohaxMz6cq9NhbA

Could I possibly try starting over and recutting this patch and “over curving” it to try to reduce the “puckering?” This could be a bad idea as I may need to cut back more to remove the weld material. Would you agree? If you were me, what would you do?
Granted, you’d likely have avoided the whole mess by doing it right the first time! 😃
9 136 Read More
The Tool Chest
Sat Jan 19 2019 04:33 AM
If you have T5 fluorescent don’t buy new fixtures.

Many of the new “LED” fixtures are same old fluorescent fixtures simply without any ballast.

If the LED tubes you choose will operate without a ballast, most will, then you’re better off sniping out your ballast and wiring direct. You don’t need to physically remove it if you don’t care to.
11 103 Read More
Doors
Sat Jan 19 2019 03:39 AM
Bart, when I dismantled truck for paint, the doors lined up and closed.upon reassembly, it doesn’t close properly.
Beltline is 1/8 inch lower on door. Body to doorgap is tight all around due to the numerous extra layers of paint and primer used.
As for the rubber, I just replaced it last night. Even when I push the door to the correct depth, it pops back out. I can send video if you prefer to show you.

Carl, beltline is very close. I can attempt to move the door up slightly.

Chris
3 31 Read More
Making a Stovebolt Bed
Sat Jan 19 2019 03:24 AM
Thanks 46sparky the box measurements are the same. But 37 fender holes do not match. I think the top center hole on the 37 fender mounts about 1" lower on the box than the 39. Will be looking forward to hearing from you. Bill
2 24 Read More
Welcome Centre
Sat Jan 19 2019 03:01 AM
Welcome to the Stovebolt...see you around the garage forums.
5 52 Read More
Paint and Body Shop
Sat Jan 19 2019 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by bartamos
You go boy!

Agreed. thumbs_up

You'll be an accomplished panelbeater in no time. I had never built a patch before either when I built that one for the rear of one of my fenders. I built a sandbag to use as well as a stump for stump shrinking (look that up on youtube) to get the convex shape I needed.
6 68 Read More
Big Bolts
Sat Jan 19 2019 01:28 AM
Two ton front axles make for easy transion to modern P-30 spindles with disc brakes, read Griggs' notes.

Ed
2 72 Read More
Big Bolts
Sat Jan 19 2019 01:25 AM
Ken,

I did the first side by hand, however I borrowed a mag. drill for the second side, drill bit grabbing, even with several sizes led to that choice. Hard on wrist first side, although weight on mag. drill was a negative. It would be best as a two man job.

Ed
7 160 Read More
Driveline
Sat Jan 19 2019 01:14 AM
Thanks for the help. It looks as though I need to dig deeper into the trans.
4 103 Read More
Driveline
Sat Jan 19 2019 12:57 AM
I had contrarian parts. That bolt bent for me.

Here is the set-up that I used.
3 47 Read More
Big Bolts
Sat Jan 19 2019 12:40 AM
Hy Steve-W, Mike B and guys, I did check my 1958 through 62 parts book just to be sure, but that is not a Canadian serial number, our serial numbers begin with the last digit of the year. Beginning in 1958 a letter was added at the end of the serial number, this indicated which g.v.w. range your truck was in, hope that helps.
6 118 Read More
Driveline
Sat Jan 19 2019 12:21 AM
The linkage I was thinking of developing for the Saginaw would resemble the first photo, only it would be made of MUCH heavier materials. That one wouldn't survive more than a few energetic shifts. It could be adapted to a T-5 also.
Jerry
9 230 Read More
The Engine Shop
Sat Jan 19 2019 12:11 AM
Were Canadian casting numbers different from US casting numbers?
Your head looks like a 53 or later US 235 head.
Even though all 235s were redesigned for 53 with 18 head bolts, etc., the trucks and stick-shift cars still had the oil nozzles, troughs, rod dippers and lower oil pressure. Which is weird, I think.
11 234 Read More
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop