The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Jays58, Bdaily, Ecratrods, 3 invisible), 284 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,749
Posts919,902
Members42,330
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Engine ID - 48 GMC big bolt bartamos Fri Aug 23 2019 09:49 PM
228 Cu in motor. Good carb, keep the carb. Rebuild the carb. Sober up and re read those numbers.
5 45 Read More
The HiPo Shop Jump to new posts
Re: oil pump for the 292 mick53 Fri Aug 23 2019 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
I can put a small block V8 oil pump into a 216. Has anyone ever seen a 216 that actually has oil pressure? It's also going to have aluminum pistons, displace 224 cubic inches instead of 216, has replaceable connecting rod bearings, and a leak-proof rear crankshaft oil seal. It's also going to look bone-stock original from the outside.
Jerry

You do some cool stuff.
10 82 Read More
Making a Stovebolt Bed Jump to new posts
Long bed assembly bolts bluesman Fri Aug 23 2019 09:14 PM
I'm aiming at putting the bed on my 53 one ton Sunday, and I'm wondering about the long mounting bolts. I've been told they go in the front cross sill, but I don't see how they could fit. Are there supposed to be holes in the bottom of the frame, so that they go all the way through? I don't have those holes on my frame, and it looks like the long bolts will run into the frame. This truck had a bed on it when I got it, so it must have been held on somehow. All the other bolts are shorter, and seem to be just long enough to go through the bed, cross sill, wooden block, and the top of the frame.

Am I just really confused?

Tim
0 6 Read More
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: Carb rebuild kit for Zenith one barrell Red63 Fri Aug 23 2019 09:11 PM
Thanks so much for the reply 1Ton. I will be aware now a little more now of the details of this carb now as I go forward. I really
appreciate the sharing of your knowledge here.

Troy
6 106 Read More
Re: lifter chatter bartamos Fri Aug 23 2019 09:02 PM
Well, you know, heat does expand metal. I would assume that since adjustments are to be made at operating temps, that the clearance values take expansion into account. Maybe recheck right after it heats up/quiets down. Maybe make sure motor is staying relatively cool. No exhaust leaks or fan/radiator/water pump flow problems. Depends on what you see on the temp gauge. If temp gauge is accurate.

Noise, then no noise, then noise..... seems like a heat issue. Down hill, up hill, down hill or Intermittent water flow. Thermostat. Air bubbles. Failing pump. Oil flow
5 55 Read More
The Legion Hall Jump to new posts
Re: Air Force Justhorsenround Fri Aug 23 2019 08:57 PM
Not sure what you are referring to. Never mind, I found it. Just military humor. Nothing personal. Us fly boys get picked on by the swabbys (sp), ground pounders, grunts all the time so I give back when I can. You are welcome any time.
67 19,467 Read More
The Electrical Bay Jump to new posts
Re: Battery goes dead on 38 with alternator. 52Carl Fri Aug 23 2019 08:16 PM
Before you swap out the old battery, remove the negative cable from the battery and slowly move into contact with the battery post and look for a spark to make sure that you don't have a short from another source.
13 162 Read More
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
Re: Heater core hose connection question 52Carl Fri Aug 23 2019 08:05 PM
Is that a tentative "yes" for Homecoming 2019, Tim?
8 191 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted Jump to new posts
Re: WTB shift shaft 590517 1946GMCDAN Fri Aug 23 2019 07:41 PM
Which one is it? A good used one is available.
1 17 Read More
Re: Seeking some help with my 292 Wrenchbender Ret. Fri Aug 23 2019 07:26 PM
It sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. Check for any filters in the lines from tank to pump & up to the carb. Make sure the float level is good. Check the fuel pump for output. It possibly could be the sock in the tank but the symptoms do not indicate it. The ign points could have a bad spring & floating at higher rpm,s.
George
5 97 Read More
Re: What did you get done on your bolt today???? Rusty Rod Fri Aug 23 2019 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Volfandt
Installed a new aftermarket window regulator on the 49 3100, surprisingly it seems to fit and function as it should. Keeping the original for future rebuild.

Maybe not very related, but when a person decides to install electric window risers, sometimes the windows are too short. I bought new glass from a hotrod glass shop and neglected to tell them that I was installing electric windows.... needless to say, I bought another set.
6,607 48,124,770 Read More
STOVEBOLT REUNION - KANSAS CITY Jump to new posts
Re: Who's attending? Rusty Rod Fri Aug 23 2019 07:21 PM
Rusty Rod is in Loveland, Colorado, about an hour north of Donktown, right off the 25
23 423 Read More
The Electrical Bay Jump to new posts
Very disappointed in my Wallymart Battery Rusty Rod Fri Aug 23 2019 07:20 PM
I have a Wallymart battery with a date of 2/13 on it. One year "free" replacement. 450 CCA. I noticed the other day and commented that the battery was over 6 years old and still working perfectly. The next day, it failed to turn the engine over. I apply a nice slow charge to the battery. Apparently, it is down for the count! I'm actually impressed with the longevity of my batteries (of course now they will all fail), since I tend to not use the most expensive one that I can find. Well, except for my wife's car, she gets the good stuff. I might even steal her battery and use it. I would put a nice high dollar battery in her car tho. Thoughts?
0 9 Read More
Re: Door vent window lever mounting shaft archburycontrol Fri Aug 23 2019 07:01 PM
MT
Thanks for the insight on this!
Yes plan B will be to turn the stud on the lathe then cut the notch then weld it to the frame if not successful in the search forum. I'll reverse engineer it using the other side stud.
Just planning ahead now for winter activity
Thanks!
5 51 Read More
Re: Rochester 'B' - no idle after rebuild sstock Fri Aug 23 2019 06:35 PM
Do you have the correct flange gasket between the carb and manifold? Some of the rochester flange gaskets do not have the vacuum hole that allows manifold vacuum to the power valve. If this hole in the bottom of the carb is covered, it will open the power valve and your engine will not idle and die as long as the throttle blades are closed.
9 123 Read More
Welcome Centre Jump to new posts
Re: New Member from NH TUTS 59 Fri Aug 23 2019 06:23 PM
Drop dead gorgous truck. Nice to have you here.
5 40 Read More
Re: Jack and tool location? Gord&Fran Fri Aug 23 2019 06:14 PM
Is there a card inside that bag of tools? I was thinking something along the line of:

"Your GM dealer will be pleased to repair your truck after you damage it with this set of crude tools"
18 242 Read More
Re: GKT-134 4 Speed Transmission Wanted retro-roco Fri Aug 23 2019 05:51 PM
Chasz, sent you a PM.
3 75 Read More
Project Journals Jump to new posts
1959 Apache 31 "Ernest" TUTS 59 Fri Aug 23 2019 05:15 PM
So I have been posting on the site for sometime. I figured it was time I really got going on my truck. Many of you have beautiful projects and great stories that go with them, well this is mine.
Flashback to 1990, I just left the Army after 8 years and found myself in Georgia, I didn't start out there but sure wasn't going back to California. Don't get me wrong I love California, but after 8 years it wasn't home any longer. I started a job as an Air Guard (Yes "Air Guard") Civil Service Tech for a Unit in Brunswick Ga. The job also required that I enlist in the Air Guard, so I went from Green to Blue in less the 2 weeks. I worked on Mobile Generators and Power Units, I had a background in the Army with Heavy Equipment and Large Diesels and Turbine engines. The new job was a great fit and I settled into civilian life. I got married and bought a small house on some land. At this time I had a 64' C10 SWB fleetside, the truck had been with me since High School. It was solid and looked fair, could have used some paint but solid just the same. My father and I had built a 396 and slid it and a muncie 4 speed in the truck years before, loved that big block. Forth of July that year I was hit broadside by a drunk and that ended the 64' C10. I parted out what I could, the insurance didn't pay off much on a truck that old, I kept the 396 and the Muncie.
So the hunt was on for a body to put the engine in, I really wanted another truck. My dad had a 56' LWB stepside when I was a kid, always liked that truck, finding a solid donor in South Georgia was proving to be a challenge. While at work my supervisor told me he had an old truck for sale, I could look it over and make him an offer. I followed him home and found a 59' Apache 31, someone had replaced the 235 with a 283 but it still had the 3 speed. the truck was as solid as most I had seen and the price was right (and he was willing to take payments :D) The deal was and I drove it home. The wife was not so impressed but I knew that ahead of time
The Apache had seats from some 80's compact and a homebuilt wooden box between them, The steering was so loose I could change lanes without trying, the exhaust was straight pipes and the 283 had a 4 barrel mnifold with a 2 barrel carb (a piece of plywood served as the adapter.) and brakes, well there was a pedal. I loved that truck.
I moon lighted for a friend at his home body shop back then. Johnny was maticulis with fit and finish, so the truck came apart. We worked on it when I had a chance and it set the rest. I deployed later that year for Operation Desert Storm and again the truck set. Two months into my deplyment I recieved word that Johnny had died of sudden heart attack. I was hurt that my friend was gone and angry over his kids cleaning out his shop, I didnt know where my truck was. After many foul words and as many phone calls I found the truck, in pieces at another body shop. I contacted my Brother in Law and and arranged for the 59' to be delivered to his house. As I said the truck was in pieces, down to the bare frame.
I retuned home for the Gulf War and life took over, the 59' was moved a dozen times over the years. I would get offers to buy it but I always refused, that was a very heated topic around the house. Time went on and I would work on little things again and again, gathering parts and pieces but never really had the means to get it back together. My Son and two Daughters were born and no truck, I went to war 2 more times (the second time I discovered "Stovebolt.com") and still no truck. I lost my wife to an early stroke, and life stopped for awhile. Still no truck.
So now here I am 10 years later and have finally gathered all the parts and pieces in one location. I retired from the Air Force this last spring and have remarried. My wife now wants to know why I never finished the truck, life is funny. You folks on the "Bolt" are my motivation and I have run out of excuses so here we go. Just a side note, the truck is named "Ernest" after the Senior Master Sergeant I bought it from, he for reasons only know to him took his life, he is deeply miissed. (RIP) frown

With all that now said lets get to work:
some Pics of the frame so far.
0 11 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale Jump to new posts
Re: 1948 original truck parts, Tiny Fri Aug 23 2019 05:14 PM
Prices please. Thanks.
1 28 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale Jump to new posts
216 engine, YankaBilly Fri Aug 23 2019 04:44 PM
I have a 216 rebuilt engine with a 3 speed manual transmission, $300.00, for engine, text mikeolddog1@yahoo.com, or call 815-997-7600, leave message if no answer.
0 21 Read More
Re: 1947-55 Chevy Truck 3-speed transmission YankaBilly Fri Aug 23 2019 04:13 PM
I have 0ne, call Mike at 815-997-7600, 0r email mikeolddog1@yahoo.com. if you call leave message, I will call back within 30 minutes.
Yankabilly.
3 151 Read More
Re: 292 Pics DoubleDingo Fri Aug 23 2019 04:02 PM
I hope you get a video of it when you fire it up. That engine looks really nice.
5 76 Read More
Re: 1961 291 remanufactured block John Milliman Fri Aug 23 2019 02:51 PM
If you haven't checked it out already, you might want to read our Tech Tip on rebuilding the 261
18 205 Read More
Re: Turning Engine over to set valves sstock Fri Aug 23 2019 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by David C.
Put the 2 bolts in the harmonic balancer that you use for removing it. Then use your pry bar to turn it over

Works great if you dont have a fan installed otherwise a knuckle buster.
13 250 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop