The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (bandbrent, 51sub, BC59, Curt B., 55_2nd_Series, Cosmo), 314 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,101
Posts923,144
Members42,336
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Removing 235 out of truck BC59 Tue Sep 17 2019 04:39 PM
What kind of rig is this in?
7 54 Read More
Re: Brand new head gasket burned up due to no coolant flow? Hotrod Lincoln Tue Sep 17 2019 04:39 PM
Check that "rebuilt" water pump to be sure the impeller is turning. Can you flow water through the engine and out of the thermostat housing by attaching a garden hose to the pump inlet?
Jerry
9 65 Read More
Re: Brand new head gasket burned up due to no coolant flow? tom moore Tue Sep 17 2019 04:37 PM
back to thermostat - can you remove it and test it? Put in a pan of hot water and bring to boil and watch it open? Other than that - I'm assuming air is out of the system, block was flushed and radiator cleaned out. I recently cleaned a tractor engine by removing the freeze plugs, pouring a mix of water and vinegar, and using a compressed air - repeated that about 6 times until all the crud was out. Removing and putting new freeze plugs back in is a snap.
9 65 Read More
Re: Brand new head gasket burned up due to no coolant flow? matthews940 Tue Sep 17 2019 04:33 PM
Martin,
before installing it I ensured that the gasket was installed correctly and the holes did line up.
9 65 Read More
The HiPo Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Piston compression height? Hotrod Lincoln Tue Sep 17 2019 04:31 PM
Think about it- - - -the cylinder volume gets bigger from the overbore, but the combustion chamber stays the same size. That raises the compression pressure unless the piston doesn't go as high in the cylinder. When I was going for max compression on the round track engines I would mill the block deck for zero piston deck height and use a .020" thick steel shim head gasket. Piston/valve clearance, especially with a radical cam, got very critical. Sometimes I had to flycut the valve eyebrows in the pistons deeper.
Jerry
3 51 Read More
Re: Removing 235 out of truck David C. Tue Sep 17 2019 04:29 PM
It's not that bad to remove just the engine with the radiator removed. Better have a pretty husky cherry picker if your going to try the tranny at same time.
7 54 Read More
Re: Brand new head gasket burned up due to no coolant flow? Justhorsenround Tue Sep 17 2019 04:23 PM
Just spitballing here. When you replaced the head gasket did you double check to see if all the passageway holes lined up?
9 65 Read More
Re: Brand new head gasket burned up due to no coolant flow? matthews940 Tue Sep 17 2019 04:19 PM
Tom,
It was installed correctly.
9 65 Read More
Re: Brand new head gasket burned up due to no coolant flow? tom moore Tue Sep 17 2019 04:18 PM
Just curious if the thermostat was installed backwards. -tom
9 65 Read More
The HiPo Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Piston compression height? beltfed Tue Sep 17 2019 04:13 PM
I would have thought just the opposite. By lowering the compression height with the added increase in bore size that would lower the compression ratio.
3 51 Read More
Re: Brand new head gasket burned up due to no coolant flow? matthews940 Tue Sep 17 2019 03:59 PM
I also forgot to add that when I got the truck from my grandpa, it had a blown head gasket already.

I checked the radiator and it flows top to bottom just fine. I also pressure tested it and it passed. There is a bleed line on top that is constant. With pressure constantly applied, it would bleed enough to maintain 4psi+ no problem. I also check flow through the block and head and it was good.
9 65 Read More
Re: Zenith 228 Help 52Carl Tue Sep 17 2019 03:30 PM
"Its never the carburetor."
This is my mantra. I force myself to say this over and over again. Doing so makes me test every other component which makes an engine run right BEFORE I dig into the carburetor.
Even if it turns out to be the carburetor, if there is a secondary issue which was not tested and fixed, "fixing" the carburetor will not result in an engine which runs right.
The other tests are simpler to perform than diagnosing a carburetor (which is seemingly, never the problem).
Carl
3 50 Read More
The Electrical Bay Jump to new posts
Re: Electric Wiper Motor Phak1 Tue Sep 17 2019 03:18 PM
I second the vote for original. I also sent my vacuum motor to the Wiperman. I payed $135 with a one week turnaround back in April and I am vary happy with the result. The motor is very strong and has no problems wiping even a dry windshield.
3 83 Read More
Panels 'N Burbs Jump to new posts
Re: AD Panel Floor Mat 52Carl Tue Sep 17 2019 03:12 PM
I believe Jim Carter was the first to come out with floor mats with the correct top border detail. Others now carry them. You need to look at their pictures and descriptions to be sure of that detail if that is important to you.
8 134 Read More
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
Re: Saw this truck Spotbiltxo Tue Sep 17 2019 03:02 PM
Wow, that’s a lot of rubber on the road!!!
7 178 Read More
Re: Removing 235 out of truck tclederman Tue Sep 17 2019 03:01 PM
It is certainly easier with with the whole front clip and hood removed (my choice on a restored truck : and, including inner/outer fenders).

However, I have removed 216/235/261 engines with just the hood and radiator removed (be careful).
7 54 Read More
Re: Removing 235 out of truck Volfandt Tue Sep 17 2019 02:29 PM
Yes, the engine will come out with just the grill and radiator removed.
If your tranny is a 3 speed, yes it'll come straight out with the engine too.
If it's an original 4 speed it probably won't as it hangs down further than the 3 speed but I've not done a 4 speed so your use may vary...

That said, removing the front clip is fairly easy and may expose some needed repairs that you otherwise won't know about. I've done 2 different AD trucks and both needed front cross member repairs.
The entire clip comes out as a single unit and you don't have to remove the hood. Remove 7 bolts per side, 2 under the radiator, 2ea fender supports, label and disconnect the front lighting assembly at the left side screw terminals (may have to disconnect the cross over wire at the right side terminals), fasten a chain or lift belt to the forward fender support bracket bolts and it'll lift off just about perfectly balanced.
If you've got an engine lift and a concrete or asphalt floor it's a one man operation.
You'll be amazed at the ease and access it affords.
Good luck
Dave
7 54 Read More
Welcome Centre Jump to new posts
Re: New member, just picked up a 36 High cab Grizzly 34s Tue Sep 17 2019 02:28 PM
Welcome to Stovebolt! Nice truck! Looks like you are making headway quickly on your project. Hope you find someone slower to use your old parts. Wish you were closer to me. I have a few 33-36s.
6 146 Read More
Re: No gas in fuel filter. Truck won't start Volfandt Tue Sep 17 2019 02:14 PM
volsfan4life, man what year so far huh? Big one coming up Sat, hope they're ready, if they are they have a chance.....

re. your fuel sender, That sender will work fine. I've got the same in my 49 Chevy 3100 with a 54 tank. Even though it's a top feed, once the line is primed up to the pump it'll flow on it's own with little effort needed from the pump.

With everything connected up remove the plugs to get the fuel pumped up to the carb 1st, saves wear and tear on the starter and battery. You might disconnect the line at the carb and insert it into a mason jar etc., then spin it to ensure you've got good clean fuel to the carb then reconnect and spin it to fill the float bowl. Then test fire...
Good luck
Dave
8 140 Read More
Re: Brand new head gasket burned up due to no coolant flow? matthews940 Tue Sep 17 2019 02:09 PM
Tim, I just ordered one. I know that the Chevy and GMC engines are different. I was just assuming the cooling system was basically a standard system. I must be missing something though. A stupid mistake on my part. I tend to make assumptions and rush things and this is usually where I end up. I could write a book on learning the hard way.

One thing I did notice is during startup I had some metal to metal squealing going on. It went away after a few minutes. When I pulled the pump and backing plate off I noticed that shaft and the prop were rubbing against it. I choose not to used a gasket there, only RTV. So maybe the gasket thickness would have prevented it. It doesn't look like it was enough friction to stop rotation. The belt would have been burning anyways. Just something I noticed.
9 65 Read More
Re: Zenith 228 Help Gord&Fran Tue Sep 17 2019 02:03 PM
Your "50% problem" may be caused by points set incorrectly. Check the dwell.
3 50 Read More
Re: Removing 235 out of truck tclederman Tue Sep 17 2019 01:54 PM
I have done it both ways:
- engine and transmission from above
- transmission from below; then, engine from above
7 54 Read More
General Truck Talk Jump to new posts
Re: Saw this truck Tiny Tue Sep 17 2019 01:49 PM
Somebody overloaded it & broke the springs down..........
7 178 Read More
Re: Changing distributor gear Dragsix Tue Sep 17 2019 01:42 PM
I am not aware of any aftermarket source for the gear. That is not to say that there isn't. Just that I am not aware of any myself. $50 is at the upper end for NOS and I have purchased them for $50 in the past. But every once in a while you will see one for less (ebay is where I have had the most success).
14 967 Read More
The Passing Lane - Stovebolt Memorials Jump to new posts
Re: Tango (Donald Tucker) Justhorsenround Tue Sep 17 2019 01:10 PM
He had quite a project. Been off site for about a year. Been wondering where he was. RIP Tango
1 14 Read More
Page 1 of 142 1 2 3 141 142
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop