The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (bowtietim, chuck white, 55 SHAKER, Bill Trotter, BobF, 2 invisible), 408 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,442
Posts926,218
Members42,439
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Truck Parts For Sale Jump to new posts
1947-1950 Under Bed Spare Tire Carrier Mother.Trucker Mon Oct 14 2019 02:38 AM
Rare.... Complete original 1947-1950 under bed spare tire carrier assembly...complete with the J-hook & lock.... ready to install.

Specify 1/2 ton or 3/4 & 1 ton for correct frame mounted sliding track.

$450 + shipping.

PM Only for more info.
0 4 Read More
Driveline Jump to new posts
Re: Are '51 Huck front shoes the same on 3100 and 3600s moparguy Mon Oct 14 2019 02:35 AM
Yep just as Tim said, Hucks.

Thanks for the help!

RonR
5 55 Read More
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: 235 crate motor by Jasper Engines Shakey61 Mon Oct 14 2019 02:34 AM
I participated in the Hot Rod Hundred run in St. Louis this weekend with 'Mater Jr.. It was a 'Hot Rod Three-Hundred' for me...98 miles to the start, 112 miles on the run, and 92 miles home. The 235 ran very well.

I took I-70 and I-64 to the start point, driving 70-75mph the whole way. The 'Hundred' part of the day was on back roads and secondary highways at 45-60mph, and the drive home was on highways of 55-70mph. Across the board, I have a 3mpg increase in fuel economy, with greater power margin at interstate speeds. I'm guessing this is a result of the better air cleaner, and HEI installation (I swapped the plugs too).

The HEI instructions from Langdon's says to set the initial timing at 10°-18° BTDC. After adjusting the carb idle speed and mixture settings, I have the timing at 15° BTDC. That gave pretty good performance for the HR3H run. I don't know if 3° more is going to make any difference.

My power curve seems to flatten out above 3/4 throttle. I'm not sure if this is normal, or an effect of my Carter YF woes. I shouldn't complain too loudly, as it runs pretty well overall, I just think it should be better.

-Kevin
39 1,015 Read More
The Tool Chest Jump to new posts
Re: Compressor Woes tclederman Mon Oct 14 2019 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by Detroit Iron
. .
. .

Harbor Freight often has decent pumps on sale for a good price, and most of them offer a lifetime warranty -- and made in the US of A. smile

Chris

"We guarantee this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship 90 days from the date of purchase. Limitations apply."

Chris, when did you buy a lifetime warranty air compressor from Harbor Freight? They used to provide lifetime warranty on all tools. I think their warranty now is 90 days.

And, I now see only one large compressor advertises?
17 456 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted Jump to new posts
Re: '37 chevy 1/2 ton 35mike Mon Oct 14 2019 02:26 AM
I have a correct '37 seat but it needs a total rebuild. I'm in Missouri and will be away from my computer for the next few days. Contact me on or after Saturday the 19th if your other seat does not materialize.

Mike Russell
573 864 6539

P.S. A '38 seat is the same as a '37 (two cushions) except the passenger side has a "tunnel" at the back to clear the filler neck.
5 123 Read More
Re: Sand blasters ?? klhansen Mon Oct 14 2019 01:58 AM
You definitely have to use dry air. You at a minimum need a moisture separator in your compressor discharge. A refrigerated dryer would be even better.

I have a small sandblast gun I got from Grizzly Industrial, and it works fairly well. It's a small job unit though. It recommends a compressor that will put out 11 cfm.
1 9 Read More
Trucks for Sale Jump to new posts
Re: 1958 Chevrolet Viking C50 Mike B Mon Oct 14 2019 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Truckrolet
More like a 1.5 ton. Its what I am looking for but???

The 50 Series is a 2-ton with a GVW of 19,500 pounds unless it's special ordered as a 1-1/2 ton (Model 5xxxS)...

Mike B smile
3 147 Read More
Re: Compressor Woes 59chevy36 Mon Oct 14 2019 01:44 AM
Woah !! just posted about a sand blaster and read this post. Depressing. I looked hard at compressers when I bought this one but looks like I should have cashed in my 401k to get something much larger. But thanks for the knowledge
17 456 Read More
The Heartland Jump to new posts
Re: Hot Rod 100, St. Louis Shakey61 Mon Oct 14 2019 01:41 AM
Mike,

If I can be of assistance, let me know. I could come down and spend a Saturday or Sunday lending a hand, as long as it's not one of my military weekends.

-Kevin
22 218 Read More
Sand blasters ?? 59chevy36 Mon Oct 14 2019 01:36 AM
Has anyone had any luck with sandblasters? my buddy bought one of the tank type blasters from a big box . we filled it with sand (recommended by the sand guy) and put some air to it (a 2hp 30 gal 6.5 cfm @ 40 psi) It blasts then if you stop it clogs and you have to empty and restart. What do you think we are doing wrong? Or is this just not the right equipment.? we are in fla and the humidity is usually 75% or higher could it be damp.
1 9 Read More
Panels 'N Burbs Jump to new posts
Re: Rear Barn Door Question bowtietim Mon Oct 14 2019 12:59 AM
Alvin , is this the spring you speak of on the left barn door?
door latch spring
door latch handle

Tim
7 37 Read More
Doors Jump to new posts
Re: Door won't budge at pillar for adjustment Wally / Montana Mon Oct 14 2019 12:56 AM

I hate to say this but what's the beltline?
2 18 Read More
The HiPo Shop Jump to new posts
Re: Old cab...new frame? 52Carl Mon Oct 14 2019 12:46 AM
Measure the diameter of the one ton tires which you plan to use, and the width of the one ton front axle at the outside of the tires. With those measurements you should be able to mock something up to see if it will work. Smaller diameter tires may help avoid tire contact from the too-wide axle.
1 24 Read More
Doors Jump to new posts
Re: Door won't budge at pillar for adjustment 52Carl Mon Oct 14 2019 12:33 AM
How far off is the beltline at the front of the door and the cab?
2 18 Read More
Welcome Centre Jump to new posts
Re: Hi all....new to the forums TUTS 59 Mon Oct 14 2019 12:32 AM
Welcome to theBolt, lots friends to help out around here.
6 61 Read More
Re: carb mystery sstock Mon Oct 14 2019 12:28 AM
Stuck float needle
5 80 Read More
Re: carb mystery bluesman Mon Oct 14 2019 12:23 AM
I have a Rochester B. Brand new (well, only has about six hours on it). And it was running so well before this happened.

Tim
5 80 Read More
The HiPo Shop Jump to new posts
Old cab...new frame? jlowrance6005 Mon Oct 14 2019 12:09 AM
Hello all...I am hoping ya'll can give me a little advise. I bought a 1952 2 ton Chevy and was wondering if anyone in here has ever put one of these cabs on a 90's model Chevy 1 ton crew cab dually frame? I saw where someone on Facebook did just this but getting him to answer any questions about his build is like pulling hen's teeth. My plans are to have the ride of a newer truck with my 1952 cab. It would be for hauling my gooseneck trailer as well as my 20' utility trailer with ease at highway speeds. Motor will be a 12 valve Cummins. I'm not too worried about the motor swap as I'm sure I can make that happen with very little trouble. My main concern is if the front end of the crew cab will fit between the front fenders or not. I've searched through the forum and from what I've read the HD3500 front axle is way too wide(am I correct in this?) but can"t seem to find any info on the IFS frond end width. I know all the cab mounts will have to be redone to match up to the 52 and that will probably be a little bit of a pain but I feel it can be accomplished. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated as I know there is a lot of knowledgeable guys on this forum. I really have no use for a 2 ton as this will be something I will be driving on a regular basis at highway speeds. Thanks in advance. Hopefully my pics will attach...
1 24 Read More
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: Tie Rod - 1935 QC 1.5 ton master truck Phyrphighter Mon Oct 14 2019 12:03 AM
Thanks. I am confident that if I can find the part number mentioned above that adjustment won’t be a problem. I am really not into straightening and using the old one but it is an option. Toe out was about 4 1/2 inches before I took the old one off.
11 89 Read More
65 292 starter/flywheel question rrent Mon Oct 14 2019 12:01 AM
Greetings all. I was preparing to check a ‘65 292 (bought loose) for compression. It came with a 14” flywheel. I bought a starter 2 bolts (1 long, 1 short) 90 degree angle to the crank. Will not work the flywheel is too big. DL3664S is the starter. I also picked up a 14” flywheel with clutch and bell housing - complete set up, so I’d rather keep the 14” flywheel. Do I need a different starter?
0 11 Read More
The Heartland Jump to new posts
Re: Hot Rod 100, St. Louis 2-Ton Sun Oct 13 2019 11:49 PM
Mike
Sorry you had to hitch a ride home. But that's all part of the fun of keeping these old rides going.
Anybody can drive a brand new vehicle.
Throw in a stomp starter, points and a clutch. The folks that can drive those are getting fewer.

Darn!, I need to get something on the road.
Tiny is at the Lake of the Ozarks this week for a VCCA run.
I hope to hook up with him sometime this week.

Don
22 218 Read More
Re: Huck to Bendix conversion 52Carl Sun Oct 13 2019 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by moparguy
Thanks for the update Carl. I had some concerns about nos bonded shoes disbonding. Any noticeable improvement over organic before they swarmed?

I have reproduction Huck brake shoes on the '49 and the truck stops in a straight line. It makes all of the noises of a stopping vehicle (squealing tires) and eventually comes to a stop just as designed. smile
20 380 Read More
Re: Are '51 Huck front shoes the same on 3100 and 3600s 52Carl Sun Oct 13 2019 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by tclederman
front and rear 1951 truck brakes
“Double articulating Huck type.”

3/4 ton. Nice find, Tim.
5 55 Read More
Doors Jump to new posts
Door won't budge at pillar for adjustment Wally / Montana Sun Oct 13 2019 11:19 PM
I need to raise my driver's side door about 1/4". It's gouging the strike plate and sometimes doesn't latch.

I loosened the 3 bolts on the pillar ends of each of the hinges. The door won't slide up (or down). I have put a floor jack under the door to gently coax it upward, but it won't budge.

Has corrosion I can't see locked it into place.

Thanks!!!!
2 18 Read More
The Old Dominion Stovebolt Society (MD, VA, WV & DC) Jump to new posts
Re: Hershey Car Show greenie-reddy Sun Oct 13 2019 11:05 PM
Just back from Hershey 2019. We were in our regular vendor spaces in the Green Field with a trailer load of parts, all 1937-46. Tuesday is set up day and the only day I get to walk the fields. My wife was along and the weather perfect, we walked 6 miles and barely scratched the surface. We made a few nice buys and saw some great trucks- most notably a perfectly restored 1956 Chevy NAPCO.
Wednesday was another beautiful day and our sales were brisk. We had several return customers from Ontario, Canada. Thursday was even better and again, no rain. I figured sales would drop off on Friday, but it turned out to be another good day. Saturday we left the parts covered up; and enjoyed the AACA judged show. A field full of cars and trucks turned out on a wonderful fall day. The number of Stovebolt trucks seem to increase each year. If you haven’t been to Hershey, you’re missing a tremendous event. Mark your calendar for Hershey 2020. You’ll be glad you did!
3 476 Read More
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop