The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (BigBlockMan, 5ptstar, carryall jerry, DennisM, 3B, Britcon, 1 invisible), 283 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,215
Posts915,252
Members42,199
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The BC Bolters Jump to new posts
Re: Boyd Wylie " Celebration of Life " Britcon Fri Jul 19 2019 03:27 AM
Hi Guys,

3B pointed out an error in my original posting. Boyd's Celebration of Life is on Sunday, August 18. ( Not sure where Saturday came from )

Newlands Golf Club - Langley

11:00 am until 3:00 pm. Sue has organized a nice memorial, with a light lunch & get together after.

Bring your Trucks , and your " Boyd " stories.

Preferred attire will be Boyds favourites - Hawaiian prints or Car Shirts !

Hope to see you all there.
5 221 Read More
Truck Parts Wanted Jump to new posts
Re: 16" x 5.5" 6 lug rim JD1 Fri Jul 19 2019 02:53 AM
I pulled the dimensions from another site. Is that the wrong size for the 16" rim?
2 81 Read More
Driveline Jump to new posts
Re: "Patricks' Tech Tip Article tclederman Fri Jul 19 2019 02:48 AM
I do not know what the cost would be, doing it as Deve describes.

I do know how to easily do it as Sweet describes:
- buy the gears
- buy the parts kit
- buy the cheap gauges

I'll price it out for you, after you price out the TOTAL cost of any other rear-end swap/conversion.
I priced it out long ago here (good luck searching for it). Those prices are no good now.
Also, pricing-in the shipping cost for many sources for parts, will make the cost of a parts-kits look real good?

The only advantage I can guess for changing to open-driveline conversion might be a final drive ratio lower than 3.55?
8 95 Read More
Re: Front wheel bearing jumps the race tclederman Fri Jul 19 2019 02:34 AM
12 113 Read More
The Engine Shop Jump to new posts
Re: 235 block water inlets panic Fri Jul 19 2019 02:32 AM
Thanks.
The late pump flow in GPM (with the same drive pulley ratio) is about 72% higher accoding to GM data, but I think the driving factor of that huge hole is the pump impeller diameter, it's many times larger than +72%: 23" vs. 4" areas.
I would guess that locating the smaller holes way up is Chevy's way of getting the coldest water to the hottest area of the #1, and the bigger late hole is the price you pay for simplifying parts - too much water reaches the entire face of the #1 jacket. There is no obvious way to mask part of that opening, unless you want to insert and attach a plate inside the block to direct flow upward, but how and made of what?
This "#1 too cold" supposedly plagued many L6 truck engines in long service: the hot #6 made it knock, but the cold #1 wore out its rings due to distortion and started burning oil first.
2 22 Read More
Re: 1951 3100 Stalling on hill 52Carl Fri Jul 19 2019 02:25 AM
Check the nuts which hold the carburetor on. I friend of mine had a problem with stalling when taking sharp turns caused by loose nuts. The nuts were so loose that gravity was the only force making a seal.
2 24 Read More
Re: 235 block water inlets 52Carl Fri Jul 19 2019 02:17 AM
That is a quite the challenge right there.
I am sure that you have considered:
Water pump pulley diameter difference.
Crankshaft pulley diameter difference (?).
Impeller design/size difference.
Your estimates of the block hole sizes seem very close to correct. Close enough, given that you are probably looking for a percent difference in total square inches of hole area between the two designs.
2 22 Read More
Big Bolts Jump to new posts
Re: 1965 C50 4x4 Mike B Fri Jul 19 2019 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Paul_WNC
I does look like a NAPCO, but didn't GM make their own 4x4 driveline by 1965?

I don't think Chevrolet ever built a 4x4 larger that 1-ton...I believe the larger trucks were all done by the dealer or owner, not factory.

Wasn't 1959 was the last for NAPCO in factory builds and 1960 the start of GM/Dana front 4x4 axles?

Mike B smile
8 106 Read More
Re: 1950 4400 sweepleader Fri Jul 19 2019 02:06 AM
Governor, will have a tube to the distributor.
91 1,770 Read More
Re: Front wheel bearing jumps the race Bill39568 Fri Jul 19 2019 02:02 AM
Can someone tell me if the original factory bearings were branded "New Departure" in 1949?[/quote]

Just removed new departure bearings from my 44 and believe they were original.
12 113 Read More
Re: 1950 4400 Dcurtis Fri Jul 19 2019 01:56 AM
I pulled the Rochester off the seized engine this evening to clean it up and check out its condition this was under it attached to the manifold. What is it ?
91 1,770 Read More
Re: "Patricks' Tech Tip Article bartamos Fri Jul 19 2019 01:50 AM
"Parts unavailable?
Making shims, and,
removing welded pins?
Making tools.
High costs?"

Got that from quickly reading Deve's site. See if you agree with my understanding of his words.
It will be great info to watch what doing that job in 2019 will provide re: parts availability, pricing and level of effort.
I do agree that Sweets sounds like a weekend job. Your experience is the same.
Does not change my thoughts about going open. I do stand overruled on this.
8 95 Read More
The Great Lakes Bolters Jump to new posts
Re: Looking for fellow Bolters in the Lansing area shade tree Fri Jul 19 2019 01:47 AM
what is the next meet at Big Rapids im about 35 miles north and west
41 2,164 Read More
The Great Lakes Bolters Jump to new posts
Re: Looking for fellow Bolters in the Lansing area shade tree Fri Jul 19 2019 01:45 AM
i will try to make it that will be the longest trip for my truck but im ready and ill see if my truck is
41 2,164 Read More
235 block water inlets panic Fri Jul 19 2019 01:43 AM
I'm trying to compare the water flow capacity of the early vs. late engines and pumps.
ve made a rough guess (via Photoshop) of the late water inlet at about 5-7/16" diameter, and the 2 smaller early holes at about 1-9/16" each.
Is this pretty close?
Forgive me, I don't have the parts where I can measure them.
2 22 Read More
Re: 1939 VB 1.5 ton truck upper window glass channel/seal Mike B Fri Jul 19 2019 01:33 AM
Have you looked at Steele #70-1108-57 ?

How about Restoration Specialties?

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/Products.html

Mike B smile
6 40 Read More
The BC Bolters Jump to new posts
Re: So who still cruises the BC Bolters Forum Redwelter Fri Jul 19 2019 01:30 AM
Sounds awful for your wife, that’s terrible news. I hope she has a speedy recovery. I’m looking forward to your piknik as last year was my first summer with the truck but couldn’t attend. Hopefully I can this year. Are any stovebolters getting their trucks out to any shows or cruise nights this summer?

I don’t think I knew Boyd. I met some of you guys at the Ladner car show in 2010. If he was there then maybe I did. What year is his truck?

21 1,066 Read More
Re: '57 Transmission fluid question LeeD Fri Jul 19 2019 01:18 AM
You should be able to buy the correct fluid in a 2 quart size container that has a small spout that fits easily in the filler hole. Just squeeze it in until it starts to run out the hole. If you are replacing the entire fluid, it will just take a while.

Lee.
4 66 Read More
Re: "Patricks' Tech Tip Article tclederman Fri Jul 19 2019 12:58 AM
Deve seems to often get involved in some details (and philosophical musings) and sometimes makes things seem to be more difficult.

His write-ups are still helpful and very useful.

Sweet's write-up allow you to git-er-done.

I did two A-D 3.55 conversions using Patrick's hard-to-read instructions (one about 15 years ago, I think).
I had a friend/pro with me (who had never worked on a torque-tube).
We had the Shop Manual open/available at all steps.
We had Patrick's terse and hard-to rear installation instructions.
I bought the necessary parts kits, and, indicators/gauges from and Harbor Freight.
I bought a parts kit from Classic Parts (or others, do this).
Spend the money.

My 1954 Suburban is now much quieter, smoother, and more pleasant to drive (cruises easily at 65 mph - last month a 7-8 hour trip each-way to Macungie PA, averaging 60+ mph).

bartamos offers good advice, but I do not understand:
"Parts unavailable?
Making shims, and,
removing welded pins?
Making tools.
High costs?"

All the parts I needed were in the parts kit.

All shims I needed were in the parts kit.

I do not remember removing welded pins (where are they - where were they? On the bearing that needs to be moved/removed for the Oakie bushing/bearing?

We did not have to make any tools, but we used same long plumbing pipes to punch out seals and old old bushings.

I do not know how the costs compare to whatever alternative rear-end/gears-ratios others might install.

I do know that I now have a smooth, quiet, higher-speed, set-up that can be easily maintained for many years/miles.

If there is a reasonable alternative - what is the outcome/result, and, what are the total costs?
8 95 Read More
Re: 250 engine pan dimensions ASU Fri Jul 19 2019 12:35 AM
On my 292, the dipstick is in the block. Since the oil pump is also mounted to the block, the dipstick should still tell the correct oil level. The only disclaimer is the dipstick is original, or at least correct, for the block. I would Change the pan and fill it to Full mark on the dipstick.

Jon
3 21 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale Jump to new posts
Re: SOLD!!!!!!!1941-46 Chevy or GMC Running Boards!! marvin ribbich Fri Jul 19 2019 12:34 AM
SOLD!!!!
2 46 Read More
Truck Parts For Sale Jump to new posts
Re: 1941-46 Chevy or GMC Running Boards!! marvin ribbich Fri Jul 19 2019 12:32 AM
The boards are SOLD!!!!!!
2 46 Read More
Re: 1951 3100 Stalling on hill ASU Fri Jul 19 2019 12:30 AM
Jasper, I would consider finding a helper and a hill with little traffic and let it stall. Check to see if it still has spark to rule ignition problems in or out. Once it stalls on a hill, will it start by choking it? maybe take a small bottle of gas and dump an ounce or two down the carb after it stalls to see if it will fire.

Jon
2 24 Read More
Re: Front wheel bearing jumps the race Greg Brown Thu Jul 18 2019 11:16 PM
I took a picture of the old bearing races (didn't want to clean the old bearings).They were assembled in the order pictured, with the outer pair on the left, and the inner pair on the right, which I'm pretty sure is correct. I've taken apart both sides, and they were both the same. At this point it doesn't matter because I just finished installing the new tapered roller bearings shown in the second picture. All seems to be good now.
12 113 Read More
Re: New Ride - 67 K 20 - 250 six 03marauderman Thu Jul 18 2019 11:10 PM
Good info here, will get the old bones, under the truck with a camera & tape measure....Fluid levels unknown, but for sure a fluid change is in order......
14 120 Read More
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop