A 'virtual garage' of antique Chevy & GMC trucks from around the World
1941 Chevy 1.5-Ton Stakeside
19 December 2007 Update
From Dave :
Here are some updates as of November 2007 These latest photo’s are from early Spring this past year (2007). Family events have put the truck work on the back burner but it’s resting easy in the barn. [ Close-up of the front ]
I put together the flat bed in a weekend to facilitate some farm related events. The original stakebody components are all waiting for future reproduction / restoration work and are also at rest in the barn. This “weekend” flatbed serves the purpose for now and allows the truck to be parked in the main house garage if needed. (It's shorter than original by about 1 foot.) [ View from the side ]
The 12 volt conversion is complete. [ Engine compartment ] [ The Engine itself ] I replaced the seat cover with a re-manufactured one and am very satisfied with the results. I got a new headliner which will finish the interior completely.
The mirrors will suffice for now until I get the original glass redone.
What a great truck. It looks much better with the black and red color scheme as it really shows the truck's Art Deco body lines and curves off. I like their other nick name -- "jukebox styled grille." It just makes me want to slide an old 45 rpm record through that grille and plop another quarter in the juke box. That current "weekend" built flatdeck looks very at home on your truck. Glad to see another 'Bolt saved and being cared for by thoughtful owners. ~ Mike "Burgandybolt" Allen, Stovebolt Welcome (Panel) Wagon
01 December 2005
From Dave :
Work has now been going on three years since we began. The old truck is close to coming back to the farm. Here are some recent photos of how things have progressed. Amazing what some new paint, lots of patience and a few $$ can do.
It has been a couple of years and breaking a few piggy banks but we are almost finished. The truck is completely rebuilt from the frame up. Virtually all the original metal was intact except for some minor rust in the door panels and front windshield. Thank goodness for being a barn-kept truck. It is remarkably mechanically sound. It has run fine.
I have kept it original except for the paint color, which is actually a 1942 GMC truck red, not a Chevrolet Red. The front windshield and all the glass has been replaced. The front grill and door handles and side chrome on the hood have been re-chromed. All metal pieces were sand-blasted, repaired and painted. The radiator was shot and a new remanufactured was installed. Installed a 12-volt system but kept 6-volt instrument panel. Lighting, starter will be 12-volt.
The seat cover is being replaced as the original cover was worn through to the frame. The glove-box, headliner and side panels are all remanufactured replacements. The metal floorboard is also remanufactured replacement. Locks are original and one had to be repaired by a locksmith.
Have original mirrors but will be adding new remanufactured replacements. The stake-side will be completely re-done as original once the truck gets back home. It is mostly all wood but in need of replacement. Virtually all the parts are usable and will be used on the new wooden frame a stake sides.
04 February 2005 Update
Thanks for hosting the web site. Here is the photo of my 1941 Chevy 1.5-ton Stakeside. I purchased the truck for $2K from a man who kept it in a barn. The original owners donated to the Foundation to restore the USS Constellation in Baltimore, MD; date unknown. The man I bought it from purchased the truck in 1975 from the Foundation. He was a WWII veteran.
I discovered the truck when just driving by a local garage in my hometown. It stopped me dead in the street. I turned into the garage, inquired about the truck and contacted the owner immediately. I met him the next day with my checkbook. Had it taken to my farm via flatbed since I did not want to risk driving it without tags and possible damage?
I believe it's been painted it the "olive green" color but the original paint is Boatswain Blue. [ Interior ]
We disassembled the Stakeside and sent it to a local restoration shop. I'm doing a total restoration currently. I hope to be on the road this summer. [ Engine compartment ]
It has been a year and a half and we are now ready to paint the cab. We re-wired to 12-volt and it is mechanically sound -- runs great! Has new exhaust, wiring, rubber, but most everything else is original.
Once it gets back to the farm, I will rebuild the stakeside, which is still in good condition. Needs some sanding and re-paint but all the upright wood pieces are intact. Original wood bed needs to be replaced and the frame is questionable. Nothing some new lumber cannot replace.