The Gallery
 

1957 Chevy 3600


Around the 'Bolt...

Search
Search the 'Bolt - more than 100,000 pages of info. Start here if you're hunting!

Discussion Forums
More than 38,400 registered Stovebo
lters from around the world talking old trucks, and sharing technical help.

Gallery More than 3,140 old truck stories with photos from Stovebolters worldwide! More in our DITY Gallery.

Tech Tips
Helpful tips on truck restoration, identification, preservation; project stories, Build Blogs and Stovebolt histories.

Events
Find out who's doing what, where and when! See who else is in your neighborhood with an old truck.

The Swap Meet
FREE Classified ads for trucks, parts, truck citings, eBay / Craigslist, Hauling Board.

FAQs
Nothing new under the sun ... got some good Frequently Asked Questions here, and will probably have more!

Features
Sagas, Feature Stories and some stuff we've done here and there and don't know where else to put it!

Stovebolt Hoo-ya
'Bolter wear, calendars, bling and other goodies!

Stovebolt Office
About Us, Contacting Us, Stovebolt Supporters, and other pertinent administrivia.

Home
Return to the home page







No parts of this site, its contents, photos or graphics may be used without permission.

Copyright © 1995-2017
Mechanicsville, Maryland

 

 
 

Owned by Richard Brengman
"Richard/SIA"
Bolter # 21529
Gardnerville, NV

Talking about this truck
in the DITY Gallery


10 May 2010
# 2786

From Richard :

I acquired this Chevy Task Force series just before I signed up here at Stovebolt. The old truck will remain mostly stock, except for the drive train, which was changed to a V8 before I got it. It had been abused and let sit, but at least it did not rust here in Nevada.

The 350 that was already installed, turned out to be a 1969 high-performance 4V car engine. It was rated at 270 HP and it appears to have been rebuilt. The compression is pretty high in all cylinders, high enough that I suspect some 10.5-1 or even 11-1 pistons are in it.

I threw out the stock intake and quadra-puke carb, and replaced them with a new Edelbrock performer RPM and 650 CFM carb with electric choke in its place. The old cast iron exhaust manifolds were cracked, so I swapped them out with a nice set of block hugger headers that I had laying around. They fit pretty well with just a hint of a dimple required to clear the steering box. Eventually I think I am going to put in a five speed over drive transmission that I need to be able to make long trips.

Got the engine partially cleaned up. I replaced some ugly stock tin and air cleaner. Also removed the mechanical fan. You may notice a fuse block and relays added to the fire-wall, the electrical system is well protected. Nothing gets power unless the key is on.

I finally got turn signals, brake lights, dash lights and the alternator/amp gauges working properly. I plan to install Cibie E series halogen lights with the "City Light" option. The City lights will be wired to the old parking light circuit. The old parking lights are now my front turn signals.

This is my electric fan set-up. It started as a kit intended for a modern car from Summit Racing. I turned the fan shroud side-ways, made some brackets and used the original radiator mount bolts to hold it in place. It fits like it was made for the truck!

One major task was removing over 600 pounds of diamond plate steel from the bed! The entire bed had been welded over. It had a "headache rack" that was wider and taller than the cab, with a tiny little window opening. It made the truck impossible to back up safely. Here's a view of the back now.

Originally this was a dually truck. I changed out the front hubs to single and rebuilt the brakes. Now, I'm running a fat single rear tire.

I was happy to discover that when I tried the dump bed , IT WORKED! It's power up, but just a bleed for down.

I still have to replace ALL the glass, but she's nearly ready to drive.





-30-


Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-ya Shop