The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
36 registered (3B, 1953 panel, 45ChevyShortbed, 1951Chevy1Ton, 48 chevy truck dude, 48bigtrucks, 5 invisible), 140 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,084 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,788 Topics
748,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
53ChevHotRod, dmtk2007, foolonthehill, MLT, Niedermair, Perry Dean, Redd GMC, Rick Paul, wizard 49
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#998026 - Wed Jan 08 2014 11:42 PM STP
Ratdog Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Kansas City
Has anyone have any thoughts about using STP Oil Treatment as a supplement for ZDDP in their oil ? The bottle says it has ZDDP in it but I don't know how much.

"One thing about trains, it doesn't matter where there going, what matters is, deciding to get on." - Polar Express

God is great, Beer is good, and people are crazy.
#998027 - Wed Jan 08 2014 11:47 PM Re: STP [Re: Ratdog]
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Extreme Gabster
Loc: Dellrose, TN
Way back in the dark ages, I used STP as an assembly lube on engine overhauls. Every engine I built that way had some sort of oil-related failure and didn't go the expected distance. Just to prove to myself that it was just a coincidence, I built one more engine with STP. That one stuck the oil pump relief valve open and trashed a crankshaft. Now I wouldn't put STP in a lawn mower with a rod knock!
Jerry

Edited by Hotrod Lincoln (Wed Jan 08 2014 11:49 PM)
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#998030 - Thu Jan 09 2014 12:08 AM Re: STP [Re: Ratdog]
Ratdog Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Kansas City
Bought a 87 F150 5.0 that had 105k miles from a guy that had it since new. I kept the same oil change regimen he did. (Mobil Del-vac 15w40 and a bottle of STP) Don't ask me why I just done it. With a name brand filter, Motorcraft mostly. When rust finally ate up the truck to where you could not drive it anymore the engine had 367k miles and still going strong. Just sayin.

"One thing about trains, it doesn't matter where there going, what matters is, deciding to get on." - Polar Express

God is great, Beer is good, and people are crazy.
#998033 - Thu Jan 09 2014 12:23 AM Re: STP [Re: Ratdog]
J M Online
Shop Shark
Loc: Gunnison Colorado
I worked for awhile in a small independent shop. We had a costumer that wanted a can of STP put in his car with each oil change. We had to pull the pan for some reason and there was about two inches of gunk in the bottom of the pan. I don't put it in anything I own.
Jim

Edited by J M (Thu Jan 09 2014 12:32 AM)
#998036 - Thu Jan 09 2014 12:39 AM Re: STP [Re: Ratdog]
Jim Sears Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: MA
I have used STP for assembly lube for decades. Best thing in the world if you aren't doing a rebuild and reinstall to run in 48 hrs. Everything else will run off in no time, you can take the engine apart weeks later (without running it) and there is still a coating of STP on everything.

With newer engines running tight tolerances and new oil technology, I've stopped running additives at all.

When I had a fleet of rental VW Vanagon campers (water cooled)in the early 2000's, I always used used STP to rebuild, but with the first oil change I would add a teflon additive like Tplus or T-fal I think were the names.
That got a lot of customer abused buses home, badly overheated, low on oil, pushed to the limits, that normally should have stopped running.
The engines I bought for rebuilding had been through the same thing but they had spun bearings, seized pistons etc.
Just my experience.
#998042 - Thu Jan 09 2014 01:01 AM Re: STP [Re: Ratdog]
crenwelge Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Fredericksburg, Texas
We used to sell a lot of STP to people with old worn out engines. It quietened them down, cut down on oil consumption and raised the oil pressure. We even used it in our old GMC gassers and 855 Block Cummins engines to make a few more trips until we overhauled them. It needs to be added slowly with the motor hot and running. Otherwise a blob of it will settle in front of the oil pickup and starve the engine for oil. I think it has kind of outlived its usefulness, but it kept a lot of old engines going a little while longer back in its heyday. I still use ZDDP on flat tappet engines. My father sold an oil that had zinc in it. It was something that was developed during the war and was way ahead of its time.
#998044 - Thu Jan 09 2014 01:17 AM Re: STP [Re: Ratdog]
Truckrolet Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Wa
Like posted above, I've seen STP save a few old worn out aircooled engines (VW). As a youngster I remember one of the mechanics at the FBO I worked at using STP for a continental aircraft engine overhaul. Approved or not for aircraft it was his choice, he said he's the one signing off the paper work.
#998074 - Thu Jan 09 2014 10:02 AM Re: STP [Re: Ratdog]
Justhorsenround Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: El Reno, Oklahoma
Used STP mixed with 2 qts of 30wt oil in every old mower engine I brought back to life from the scrap pile. Every one started on the first pull and I never had to add any oil to them again. Sold hundreds of those old mowers for $25 over the course of 4-5 years.

'48 Chevy Suburban Street Rod
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
#998106 - Thu Jan 09 2014 12:16 PM Re: STP [Re: Ratdog]
Whitelightning Offline
Shop Shark
I had always heard STP wasn't good to use in air cooled engines... Go figure....

John
#998217 - Thu Jan 09 2014 08:27 PM Re: STP [Re: Ratdog]
cheezwhiz Offline
New Guy
Loc: Pacific NW
I don't have any doubt that STP used to have its place, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been reformulated to the point where it doesn't do our old engines much good. My short answer would be to use a flat tappet additive and my long answer would be to go to the Bob is the Oil Guy forums (BITOG). They will have you enrolled in undergraduate chemistry courses before long :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->