The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thank you for supporting those who support this site!
American Classic
Truck Parts

Fall is here

Hambone working on his Chevy

The last of the shows will soon be only digital pictures and fond memories. If you are getting your Bolt ready for some last cruises, or just thinking about putting her up for winter, be sure to check out what parts you need from American Classic Truck Parts. They still offer a 10% discount on parts in stock to Stovebolters. Please add your Stovebolt screen name and number in the comments at the end -- no special codes required.

Stovebolt On!

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2016 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

The calendars from last year are available for 2016. We will be starting from scratch soon. If you want one just like one from last year, you may want to check it out soon.

Check for details!

Who's Online
8 registered (Paul_WNC, kb3csw, rpat356sc, hotshoe36, 51 3804, martinmikey), 67 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,674 Registered Members
48 Forums
99,661 Topics
763,702 Posts

Most users ever online: 509 @ Thu Nov 12 2015 04:34 PM
Today's Birthdays
darkjuju, Dave Herbeck, Fhavla, Jimmie D, steve sr
Image Posting Policy
New Reply
Topic Options
#95792 - Thu Jun 01 2006 11:51 PM Neutral Safety Switch - Tilt Steering Column
colettesbro Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota MN
I am installing a 67-72 Tilt Automatic Steering Column in my 61 Apache.

I have a Neutral Safety Switch on the steering column. However, I do not have a clue what wires get connected to this Neutral Safety Switch.

Can anyone provide me with clear direction on what wire(s) need to be connected to this switch?

Your wife called & said
"buy whatever you want"!
1961 Chevy Apache 10 Restoration Photo Album
in the Gallery ...
My 1961 Chevy Custom Apache 10 SWB
#95793 - Fri Jun 02 2006 11:15 AM Re: Neutral Safety Switch - Tilt Steering Column
Britcon Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Birch Bay, WA
Heres what I have - looking down the column from the steering wheel, I have ( 4 ) connection prongs. Two are side by side / two are vertical.
On the side by side, left hand is power feed for backup lights / right hand goes to backup lights.
On the vertical, upper goes to solenoid / lower goes to ignition switch. Hope this works - I haven't got my truck back on the road yet to test in real life !!!
1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photobucket - password = stovebolt
#95794 - Fri Jun 02 2006 04:43 PM Re: Neutral Safety Switch - Tilt Steering Column
Wrenchbender Ret. Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: Lenexa Ks.
Britcon is right. The original wires are purple about 12 gauge. Some of the older models had the switch down on the trans. with a little rod hooked to the linkage.
If it ain't broke, sell it & buy one that is.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

#95795 - Sat Jun 10 2006 11:53 AM Re: Neutral Safety Switch - Tilt Steering Column
pablos49 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Wisconsin
Here's one for you. I installed a new neutral safety switch on my column, put the wires back like they were, hit the ignition switch and up came a big ball of smoke. It fried a wire going to the starter. Now I have to use a push button switch to start it. Just one of the joys of driving an old truck!
My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!

Moderator:  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop