The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
3 registered (Sweet T 29', 09JK, TPR57C), 90 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,236 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,154 Topics
750,506 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
andybell, barnabus, blue48, doctorhh, early49_3600, glennco, Gman54, hotshoe36, Jim streeby, Jorge, mojave b, nevrdun, paulm, roybob55
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#922700 - Sun Feb 24 2013 03:43 PM dual carb set up on fenton intake
Tiny_Jaime Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Henderson, Nevada
I am wishing to install dual 2 bbl. carbs on my 1956 235 3100 chevy truck. This week i am installing a t-5 transmission. I have been reading alot about different carbs.

To finish up the motor and drive line here is where i need the advice. I want to install a fenton 2x1 intake manifold. Is it better to install dual 1 bbl. carbs or dual 2 bbl. carbs. The truck is not going to be for racing just in town and 20 mile drive to work on the freeway, maybe the short burst of speed at the stop light once in a while. I was looking at the progressive 2 bbl. Webster carbs w/electric choke from stovebolt engine company. Will they fit the fenton intake or do i need a dual 2 bbl carb intake manifold?

Does anybody know aporoximately what the gas milage difference would be from the 2 - 1 bbls from the progressive 2 - 2 bbl on the 235 with t-5 with normal driving? Approximately

The upgrades i have made is a 261 stock cam and this week after my Pomona trip what i do not buy there will be a mini HEI, fenton split exhaust manifold.

Any advice on the carb is appreciated. I just want to get everything by next week and start it up. Thanks again

56 Chevy 3100
#922716 - Sun Feb 24 2013 06:03 PM Re: dual carb set up on fenton intake [Re: Tiny_Jaime]
Bart_Bosco Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Nebraska
I can tell you what I have learned in the last six months putting my 235 together with dual carbs. Langdons claims to have bolt on carbs that are set up and ready to go. I have heard both good and bad about these carbs, (I think they are one barrel) and decided not to use them for only one reason, I wanted the look of the older carb. For a nearly stock engine you would want carbs that were designed for a 216. I purchased matching Carter 964S carbs and actually have them running pretty good after messing with them for weeks on end. I then found out that Carter W-1s would work better since they are not vacuume actuated. I am told the W-1s are easier to set up. I have purchased the W-1s I need but have yet to install them. Carb King has an excellant article on this subject. I also found the linkage is not just a hook it up job. I ended up fabricating my own throttle rod, carb linkage and pivot. From my experience this was not a job you will have done next week, especially if you don't have the carbs yet. You will also have to adapt the bolts on the intake manifold to fit the 2 5/8" centers of the 216 carbs or purchase a manifold for the 216 engine and also purchase adaptor rings so it mounts up the the 235 heads. Another thing I learned, get the headers ceramic coated. Had mine done and they still look new. I went thru a lot of work for dual carbs but they look good.
#922775 - Mon Feb 25 2013 05:41 AM Re: dual carb set up on fenton intake [Re: Tiny_Jaime]
SWEET Offline
ODSS Lawman
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
In order to run 2 bbl carbs on that intake you will need to modify intake for the double barrel carbs. Not sure if they can be purchased that way or not.

If you're going to install a dual setup, fuel mileage isn't going to be great. But it also depends on how you drive.

I have single bbl duals, drive like a teenager and get around 14mpg.

BUNS?!?!?! Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....

1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#922781 - Mon Feb 25 2013 06:11 AM Re: dual carb set up on fenton intake [Re: Tiny_Jaime]
55hays Offline
New Guy
Loc: Orleans, Indiana
I purchased the Carter Weber carbs which are 2 barrells from Tom Langdon. I installed them on an Offenhauser intake. Langdon also sold me the linkage kit and adapters for the intake. Everything bolted right up and runs great. Very responsive. I have a 3:90 rear with a Borg Warner R10 overdrive and get 17 mpg.
#922782 - Mon Feb 25 2013 06:19 AM Re: dual carb set up on fenton intake [Re: Tiny_Jaime]
Tiny_Jaime Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Henderson, Nevada
so what I am thinking is that if I want to have the daul carb set up I should stick with the 1 bbl carbs. Is there a good recommendation for carbs? I have a rochester now and I have heard about the common leaking problems. I also read about the ABC's Always Buy Cater. Tom from stovebolt engine co recommends the progressive type and thanks Bart_Bosco I did read the carb kings website.

Sweet thanks for the input, if the progressive carb is done would it be wise to stick with a single 2 bbl as Tom recommends?
or stick to the dual 1 bbl since i like it.

I do not mean to bounce around on this I want to make a decision and order I am just trying to squeese the most hp or power with the resonable fuel economy (is that possible) for the best dollar spent? I do not want horrible gas milage for hp and i understand its a 1956 engine also not a hybrid.

I am going to the swap meet on sunday and hope what i cant find there order on monday.

Thanks guys I appreciate any more input from anyone else.

56 Chevy 3100
#922835 - Mon Feb 25 2013 10:15 AM Re: dual carb set up on fenton intake [Re: Tiny_Jaime]
53moneypit Offline
Loc: Smallville IN
I have the exact setup on my 235 that you describe in your post, Jaimie. It runs OK but isn't a world beater by any strectch and frankly keeping two carbs running properly together is an ongoing challenge. I do like the CW carbs but I'd prefer to run just one of them if possible. By restricting the carb to fit the Offy maniflod I feel the real advantage is likely lost even at the higher velocity it makes. Looks reaaly great and that is it's best advantage so if you can rework the Offy to the larger 2bbl size it would be a better deal IMO. I have no advice or knowledge on using two Carter 1-bbls but don't know why it wouldn't work fine except for the choke setup. The performance ignition is a genuine improvement.

Edited by 53moneypit (Mon Feb 25 2013 10:18 AM)

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
#922843 - Mon Feb 25 2013 10:27 AM Re: dual carb set up on fenton intake [Re: Tiny_Jaime]
tclederman Offline
Loc: Castleton-on-Hudson, NY

The Carter-Weber progressive 2-barrel carburetors (sold by Tom Langdon) can easily be bolted onto a 2-carb manifold by using the common/standard 2-barrel to 1-barrel adapter (@$15 with gaskets/bolts). These carbs seem well-suited for a 235.

I get 18 mpg (on a 261 w/3.55 rear-end) at 60 mph and 12-14 mph at 65-70mph. This has been the smoothest, most reliable carb set-up that I have used (comparing to a few other one or two carb set-ups).

The only negative I see is that they do not look "old school" - they are only a 30-year old design. I have adapted oil-bath-to paper-filter 1950s air cleaners on them (gives them a little older character).
#922857 - Mon Feb 25 2013 10:58 AM Re: dual carb set up on fenton intake [Re: Tiny_Jaime]
bowtietim Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Kansas
I have to agree with Tim about the setup.I purchased the Carter-Weber progressive 2-barrel carburetors from Tom Langdon with the adapters Tim linked to.
My 261 runs great with them,best money I spent.

Tim

Look deep before you leep !!!

"Everything is Everything"

"If I say a mouse can pull a house,Hitch him up"

My 1951 Chevrolet 3100

My 1951 3100 Suburban

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i44/oldblue51/

#922981 - Mon Feb 25 2013 11:54 PM Re: dual carb set up on fenton intake [Re: Tiny_Jaime]
brokenhead Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: seattle wa
the 2 barrel carbs Tom Langdon sells are very small 2 barrels, as they were originally for a small (I want to say 96 cubic inch engine) thats is why you need 2 of them. I have heard nothing but good about the setup, the only negative comment I have heard is, if you like tinkering with things endlessly. These will be disappointing, as all you do is put them on and run. Unlike Bart Bosco, which has had lots of trouble with the carters. Which is just about standard for the original style carburetors, so if you don't chose to go with the proven, tried and true setup from Tom Langdon (who by the way used to be one of the GOOD engineers at GM). At least get some bungs welded up into your exhaust so while you are pulling your hair out trying to get them to run you can use an O2 sensor and get some real life information. Or you could use the clifford 4 barrel intake with the small 390 cfm 4 barrel and their exhaust, although they say it will fit with fenton headers, the fella said you would need to do some grinding to fit. If I had known about that I would have probably got that instead of the two 2 barrels, but they will work just fine. (I just haven't installed them yet) One more small bit of advice, if this is a first time firing of the engine, use the original carb set up if you know it runs, as you don't need to be trying to sort out carb problems as well as whatever else you will run into. (which is why I haven't installed MY dual 2 barrels yet, besides the fact I want to polish the intake up) Also this is very, very important, read up on cam break-in procedures. Go to any of the major cam manufacturers websites they all have pretty much the same information. (or 2 or 3 websites) So far I have seen 3 people NOT follow the procedures and we still don't know how it turned out for them as they never returned. I'm pretty sure they are too embarassed to admit they just trashed their engine because they can't or won't read directions. I will say this although it is in every procedure I have read, make sure you have everything set up before you install the lifters and pushrods, you only need to turn the engine 1 single solitary revolution to set the valve lash. Make sure your ignition is set correctly, carb is full of fuel, as you want it to fire within the first 3 or 4 revolutions, that fancy cam lube you just used is gone the first turn. Anything after that is on the microscopic level. Don't crank your engine to "prime the oil pump" use the priming tool as described in tech tips and about every other post on this forum. And if you have paid attention upon assembly you will notice there is no actual oil passages to the cam lobes themselves, their main source of lubrication is from the oil flinging from the crankshaft, which is why you immediately bring the rpms up to 2500 rpm.

Edited by brokenhead (Mon Feb 25 2013 11:59 PM)
#923007 - Tue Feb 26 2013 02:15 AM Re: dual carb set up on fenton intake [Re: Tiny_Jaime]
Bart_Bosco Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Nebraska
I still suggest you consider your resason for the dual carbs, looks or ease of set up. I did mine for looks only and decided on the period correct Carters. It has been a a lot of work getting them set but now that I have them there everything is good. After all, that is why I started this whole project to begin with, to put it together myself.
Just my reasoning.

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->