The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
7 registered (51 3804, Jose.a909, dunfire, mphudak, TGP, 1 invisible), 63 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,091 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,834 Topics
748,622 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
bigjohn83, biglou55, I'm new to the old, kristof, RA HART
Image Posting Policy
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#882078 - Tue Sep 11 2012 10:18 PM Re: Corner windows one more time! [Re: truckernix]
jockbolter50 Online
Shop Shark
Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: truckernix
Somewhere before half way around the thing becomes very unstable and wants to pop out. Once you get past half way it get a little easier.

True,the secret is not to make everything too slick,sometimes too much lubrication(soap) makes it like juggling jello!
Hence the reason I prefer good old fashioned glass cleaner.

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
#882090 - Wed Sep 12 2012 03:20 AM Re: Corner windows one more time! [Re: jockbolter50]
54barnfind Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana
Here is another slide show on corner glass
#882732 - Fri Sep 14 2012 05:42 PM Re: Corner windows one more time! [Re: 54barnfind]
Peter_H Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Burlington, ON, Canada
Thanks for all replies.
I tried putting the rubber in the opening first with ones that I had bought from JC but, the rubber was too stiff and was impossible to fit so we gave up the notion in frustration.
We ordered another set from Steele Rubber and it was much better although we ruined that set trying to once again fit the glass into the opening.
After reading this and many other threads and talking to Steele Rubber I have decided to put the new set of rubbers on the glass for a week or so to climatize and then fit them in the opening. Steele suggesting leaving a little slack and then gluing the two ends together. This is consistent with the methods suggested for the other windows in the truck.
If it is still warm enough here this year when I get the new rubbers I will try it and report back.
This is quickly becoming one of the most challenging tasks of my rebuild - one that I thought would be easy peasy. How on earth did they ever do this on an assembly line??
Thanks for all your suggestions.
More pix on Photobucket
#882758 - Fri Sep 14 2012 10:43 PM Re: Corner windows one more time! [Re: Peter_H]
jockbolter50 Online
Shop Shark
Originally Posted By: Peter_H
Thanks for all replies.
How on earth did they ever do this on an assembly line??

Sorry to hear of your tales of woe Peter,but on your production line comment.
If you're doing the same job day in,day out,it soon becomes second nature....
This is probably little consolation but...practice makes perfect!
Good luck.

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
#882873 - Sat Sep 15 2012 10:22 AM Re: Corner windows one more time! [Re: jockbolter50]
CASO Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Warrenton, Oregon
Originally Posted By: jockbolter50
Originally Posted By: Peter_H
Thanks for all replies.
How on earth did they ever do this on an assembly line??

If you're doing the same job day in,day out,it soon becomes second nature....
This is probably little consolation but...practice makes perfect!
Good luck.

So is that a suggestion he grab a practice piece and trash it till he gets it down and then try with a new one? eeeek
#882974 - Sat Sep 15 2012 11:13 PM Re: Corner windows one more time! [Re: CASO]
jockbolter50 Online
Shop Shark
Originally Posted By: CASO
So is that a suggestion he grab a practice piece and trash it till he gets it down and then try with a new one? eeeek

From what I can gather Peter's already had his 'practice' shot!

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
#882975 - Sat Sep 15 2012 11:20 PM Re: Corner windows one more time! [Re: jockbolter50]
jockbolter50 Online
Shop Shark
The biggest causes of the rubber gauling or tearing is usually down to the glass edge being poorly finished,lack of 'lubrication' or poor quality rubber.

The main trick is to use the edge of the glass as a lever point keeping the plastic stick to as near 90 degrees to the glass and roll the lip over the glass using a twisting motion like this.

Edited by jockbolter50 (Sat Sep 15 2012 11:27 PM)

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
#883161 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:32 PM Re: Corner windows one more time! [Re: jockbolter50]
Peter_H Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Burlington, ON, Canada
Yes, I have had my practice run! And yes, I did trash a good set of rubbers.
My question about how they did this on the assembly line should have been worded more clearly.
Did they put the rubber on the cab and then install the glass or put the rubber on the glass and then install it as unit?
I am still not sure.
If nothing else, Steele Rubber thinks I am wonderful :-)
More pix on Photobucket
#883193 - Sun Sep 16 2012 09:20 PM Re: Corner windows one more time! [Re: Peter_H]
jockbolter50 Online
Shop Shark
Peter,i'm not entirely sure how it was done in the factory,but the way I was trained to do it was to fit the rubber to the body,then work the glass into it,then install the lock strip.

As I've said in many related threads,the section of the rear rubbers is in the form of an 'H' this usually dictates the installation technique mentioned above.

If however the rubber is an 'S' section (such as the front windshields) that would normally be installed using the cord/rope method with the rubber on the glass.

I hope this clears up any confusion,and as previously mentioned...good luck.

Hopefully you won't be qualifying for a Steeles bulk order discount! wink

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Fourbrads 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->