The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
21 registered (46flh, 485WINDO, 48bigtrucks, Bubblemaker, 5 Window 9434, 09JK, 2 invisible), 138 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,255 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,213 Topics
751,002 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
barry55, GMCPic, iceberg, jodynbob, Justin Crosby, southernmutt33, TristenRichter
Image Posting Policy
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
New Reply
Topic Options
#839513 - Wed Mar 28 2012 09:25 PM Re: Dual carb Setup [Re: tclederman]
54hydramaticFL Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: miami, florida
Dave, sending you a PM
#839517 - Wed Mar 28 2012 09:34 PM Re: Dual carb Setup [Re: tclederman]
54hydramaticFL Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: miami, florida
Tim, I'm starting on a 261. Would like to know more about your rebuild/modifications to your's. Is that info on your site?
#839529 - Wed Mar 28 2012 10:18 PM Re: Dual carb Setup [Re: tclederman]
pizza40 Offline
New Guy
Loc: Broomfield, Colorado
Originally Posted By tclederman

I have two Carter-Webers from Langdons on a 1960 261 in my Suburban. They are very well-behaved (to say the least) carbs but they are way "under rated" for my dual-exhaust .060-over-bored cylinders. They have good acceleration - better than one original Rochester. At high RPMs they are sluggish. They are very economical unless I really push them.

The dual original 261 Rochesters (different from 235 Rochesters) provide much more performance, not so much at the low end but considerably more power at high RPMs in each gear (and at higher speeds). These are a little more work to get and keep tuned but they are more fun to drive with.

I am no pro but I have friends who are pros (including race car mechanics). They feel the extra performance from the dual carb set ups.

Nonetheless, I have been looking for a good single carburetor, something like a Rochester 2GC for a 265 (probably too small) or for an early 283. I am ignorant about what to look for (and how to adapt the intake manual) but I am accumulating 2GC manuals and spec sheets and I interested in hearing any opinions.

I have a Roch 2-bbl 2GV up for auction just today on eBay. Do a search for "Rochester 2-bbl 7031714" and it'll come up. If your interested.

Edited by pizza40 (Wed Mar 28 2012 10:19 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot eBay
#839531 - Wed Mar 28 2012 10:21 PM Re: Dual carb Setup [Re: 53moneypit]
pizza40 Offline
New Guy
Great input! I do appreciate it. Thanks.
#839533 - Wed Mar 28 2012 10:32 PM Re: Dual carb Setup [Re: carbking]
pizza40 Offline
New Guy
Originally Posted By carbking
It IS possible to SLIGHTLY improve performance on a stock 235 by going to 2 carburetors IF ONE DOES IT PERFECT!!!!!

It is also quite possible to significantly LOSE PERFORMANCE if one does NOT do it perfectly!

On a stock 235 (no other modifications) the change could be from a minus 25 percent to a plus 10 percent, depending on ones homework and skill. Is it worth it? Each will have their own answer.

The following link will explain further:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Dual1barrelcarbs.htm

And just because some company offers something for sale is absolutely NO guarantee that the product is beneficial to anyone other than the investors in the selling company!

And just to expand slightly on a comment by Jerry (HRL): we find that we virtually ALWAYS have to RICHEN the jets when going to multiple carbs. This is because of the reduced air velocity in the carbs. The novice will not account for the action of the power valve (which will need adjustment), and mistakenly thinks the carbs are too rich.

Jon.

Thanks Carb King. I was hoping you would chime in. Great article. I read and printed it out. I'm thinking now I might go with the 2 Carter 216 types. I have 2 YF 964S that I may use. I'll have to weld and redrill the bases, though. I'm guessing in your reply you meaan the pwr valve spring in a Roch B/BC will need a some of the turns clipped off. Do you have a starting point or is it trail & error?
#839592 - Thu Mar 29 2012 07:06 AM Re: Dual carb Setup [Re: pizza40]
carbking Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Missouri
I would suggest building whatever carbs you decide on perfectly stock. This way you have a repeatable baseline.

As for cutting coils on springs, I don't. Of course we have lots of different springs to choose from, so not really a problem.

However, if you use the Carter YF's that you suggest you have; AFB spring kits (readily available) may be used in the the YF.

Jon.
#839651 - Thu Mar 29 2012 12:00 PM Re: Dual carb Setup [Re: carbking]
pizza40 Offline
New Guy
Originally Posted By carbking
I would suggest building whatever carbs you decide on perfectly stock. This way you have a repeatable baseline.

As for cutting coils on springs, I don't. Of course we have lots of different springs to choose from, so not really a problem.

However, if you use the Carter YF's that you suggest you have; AFB spring kits (readily available) may be used in the the YF.

Jon.

If I use the Carter's (for 216), what would I ask for to order spring kits from you. And are the Carter 964's a good choice or is there a better one to pair up? I know you won't give me a straight up answer but maybe a hint of sorts. grin
#839696 - Thu Mar 29 2012 03:22 PM Re: Dual carb Setup [Re: pizza40]
carbking Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By pizza40
[quote=carbking]I would suggest building whatever carbs you decide on perfectly stock. This way you have a repeatable baseline.

Jon.

If I use the Carter's (for 216), what would I ask for to order spring kits from you. And are the Carter 964's a good choice or is there a better one to pair up? I know you won't give me a straight up answer but maybe a hint of sorts. grin [/quote]

We don't sell the AFB spring kits, but thank you for asking.

As to carburetors, since you asked; I highly recommend the Carter W-1 series. For your application, probably the 574s (1946~1948 Chevrolet 216). These have a mechanical power system (no need to retune for vacuum changes) plus they have leather accelerator pumps which are total impervious to ethanol based fuels.

The YF's will also work well, but require more tuning. Call if you need more assistance.

Jon.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->