The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
36 registered (alemachevyman, 1951Chevy1Ton, andy_napco, 5 Window 9434, 46forme, 2 invisible), 169 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,114 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,918 Topics
749,297 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
BobN, brotherwarrior, dannybambino, david napier, Desert_Rose, Ed Black, mattf, Pope.S, Tom Caperton
Image Posting Policy
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#835648 - Thu Mar 15 2012 08:46 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: DADS50]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Murphy, NC
First, I myself and a whole bunch of viewers greatly appreciate all of those who contributed to this thread and their knowledge about these old technology machines. I think there are many folks viewing that, like myself, who just don't know or undersatnd how these machines were designed to operate during that period of history. 1930's - 1960's. I think my thread has struck a nerve as seen by the number of folks viewing. If I can help others by my constant inquiry about performance issues that many have then I have learned alot and so have others. This is why Stovebolt.com is so successful.

I will switch out my thermostat to a 180 degree one. I had installed a new thermo 4 years ago when I got the truck, however, I don't recall what the rating was. I also didn't know at the time that 180 degrees was the appropriate temperature for a 216. I kind of thought at the time (and what do I know) cooler was better. Another example of old technology info that people aren't aware of.

DADS50, thanks for pointing me (and others) to some important steps for idle and timing adjustments. I'll try and knock them out next after I install the correct thermostat.

Once again, thank you all for your input. I couldn't do this alone without you.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o510/Wolffman26/
#835661 - Thu Mar 15 2012 09:52 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Joe H Online
Shop Shark
Loc: Lee's Summit Mo. 64086
Here is some more to think about,

Before changing the thermostat, drill a 1/8" hole in the edge of it to let air out of the head as you fill the coolant system. You can also force the stat open and slip a aspirin in the opening, as coolant enters and air exits, the aspirin will melt shutting the t-stat.

Forget the vacuum gauge, you can never get a steady reading while driving. Its doing what it should be doing. As for being low, who knows, it might be right for your engine, not all are the same, age, wear and tear all make a difference. Driving with a vacuum gauge is for fuel milage, try to keep it as high as possible and you will get the best fuel milage. That will mean a very tender foot on the accelerator.

Advancing the timing will bring up the vacuum at idle, its a good way to adjust the timing if you don't have a light. The idle speed will also increase as the timing is advanced, so back it off as you advance the timing to keep the mechanical advance weights in a closed position. As the engine speed increases, the timing should also advance from the mechanical weights being thrown outwards. You can check this with a timing light, slowly increase the throttle opening and the timing should slowly advance. In 1937 the distributor is designed with 46 degrees total advance @ 3500 rpm with 17 more degrees of vacuum advance. Our modern day fuels are much better then when the truck was being used, and your compression is way low compared to a modern engine, so more timing will have no damaging effects on the engine. If it helps great, if not return it back to where you started.

You carb is not running rich or it would climb hills. You have something wrong in the carb that is not letting the power circuit kick in. Engines require more fuel under a load such as climbing hills, so the carb is designed to increase the air to fuel ratio as the throttle is opened farther and farther. Get a shop manual and read up on the power circuit of the carb you are using, then pull yours apart and fix the problem! Reading my '37 manual, the original carburetors have a moving metering rod which adds fuel the higher its pulled out of the jet. Its a stepped rod with the power mode at the tip. If yours is not working or is adjusted wrong, it will never get to the power circuit thus causing your hill climbing problems.

Idle adjustments only effect idle. Once the throttle is open, it bypasses the idle circuit.

Vacuum advance will also not effect the power circuit since the vacuum drops to zero when the engine is accelerating. Vacuum advance is good for fuel milage, it pulls in a bunch more timing at light throttle or cruise when there is little or no load on the engine. As the load increases, the vacuum drops and the timing retards back to the original setting. Just make sure its working, theres no vacuum leak, and your timing is set a few higher then stock.

Joe
#835670 - Thu Mar 15 2012 10:07 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Joe H]
Mr. Lang Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Brentwood Bay, BC Canada
How about the exhaust riser valve? Is it functioning? I don't recall seeing it mentioned it above (but I could have easily missed it).

In the Gallery
Pictures in Photodork

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
#836117 - Sat Mar 17 2012 04:22 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Joe H]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Thanks for all the input folks!

As of right now I have pulled my carburetor and went back and reviewed what I did when I rebuilt it in 2007. There is only 1200 miles on that that carb, but I did notice that I had made a note about some missing felt washers in the rebuild kit. They were little felt washers that were suppose to be slipped over each end of the throttle shaft. I can see that there was leakage there on the outside. Finding a tiny felt washer to seal the leak around the throttle shaft would be impossible, so, I made my own out of leather. I took 1/8" thick leather, cut it to a 1/2" square and punched a 5/16" hole in it so it would slip over the throttle shaft. Then I split that little piece of leather in half to get two 1/16" thick leather washers and installed them. After putting the whole carb back together I put a little 3and1 oil on those leather gaskets. Worked like a champ!

I totally understand "Joe H's" comment about the power circuit. I didn't break down the carb this time because I've already been there on a rebuild and I didn't want to screw up all the gaskets. So, I'm gambling that they supplied me with the correct parts to preform a decent rebuild and are functioning correctly.

I'm really glad that I had to pull the carb again just to address those two little seals, because I was shocked what I found when I disconnected the gas line! Earlier on this thread we were going through and trying to figure out if the fuel pump was "the problem". "Hotrod Lincoln" gave me some very good info on fuel pump inlet vacuum and outlet pressure. Well, I tried to check the outlet pressure of the old fuel pump with my pressure/vacuum gage. On the positive side of the pump I had disconnected the gas line just before the carb . I inserted the plastic tapered fitting on my tubing connected to the gage into the gas line to try and get a reading. To shorten this story, the gasoline attacked the plastic and it broke off inside the gas line steel tubing. I wasn't aware of that until today. With the new fuel pump installed it pushed the broken off plastic tapered tip forward enough so that I was able to extract the plastic piece out that was hampering the fuel flow to the carb. WHAT ARE THE ODDS??.

Today I also installed the 180 degree thermostat, however, not without, "silly me", forgetting to install a "new" thermostat housing gasket. A run down to NAPA solved that "airhead" moment.

I've got one more thing I want to do before I take Lucille on a run. Just an annoying "leak" (4 letter word) from her tranny. I used a non-seize bolt material on the threads of the drain and filler plugs and the gear oil is leaking past this material. Gonna drain the tranny and put some leak proof sealant on the threads of the plugs and refill the tranny. Don't want to screw up my tranny!!

Once again, I'M EXHAUSTED OVER HERE!!

Oh, BTW, tomorrow I promised my wife that I would get away from Lucille and give her (my wife) a little attention. Like getting out for a "little Sunday lunch"!

On Monday I'll give you all a performance report. Hopefully "climbing hills" is not an issue any more!!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#836118 - Sat Mar 17 2012 04:32 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
joker Offline
Loc: Mesquite, Tx
install you a hemi with 560 gear.. that baby will go up hill then

my hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

pain is part of life, misery is an option

#836131 - Sat Mar 17 2012 05:13 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: joker]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Now that's really funny right there!!!

Then I'd have to change her name to "Screaming MAMA", or "Hemmingbird" and she'd be flying over Texas in a heartbeat!!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#836138 - Sat Mar 17 2012 05:57 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Drydock Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: MO
I kept thinking, it sounds like fuel starvation! Glad you found it! thumbs_up
More pix of the old truck
#836147 - Sat Mar 17 2012 06:42 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Drydock]
joker Offline
Loc: Mesquite, Tx
you have a fine looking truck,
I was almost ready to play this for you

my hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

pain is part of life, misery is an option

#836198 - Sat Mar 17 2012 09:21 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: joker]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
I don't know what to say, jeez....I'm tearing up over here...where has she gone...

I thank you for your heartfelt compassion.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#836318 - Sun Mar 18 2012 10:47 AM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
DADS50 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Nevada
Might want to do a carb rebuilds anyway. Sounds like the piece of plastic was past the filter. Any little crud in the carb will cause problems.

I find the accelerator pumps in the carbs don't last me long at all. I had to replace 2 last year.

Enjoy your Sunday with the family.

YouTube

1950 3100

Hitchin a ride

.New Pic.
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->