The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
43 registered (55_2nd_Series, Apache1999, 48 Yuma Rebel, 46forme, 46 Chev, 3B, 2 invisible), 163 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,086 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,798 Topics
748,342 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
old stovebolter, Random1111, robert d, rodewit, rodewit4, RustedHonor
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#835319 - Wed Mar 14 2012 07:29 PM New Engine Problem, Need Advise
Tiny Offline
Loc: South Central Kansas
Some of you know I had the engine in my '38 rebuilt. I had the rods machined for insert bearings and ended up .010 on the rod and main bearings. I reused the cam, lifters and rocker assemblies because they had little wear. I used an NOS oil pump. Before the first start we turned over the engine using the starter without spark plugs to verify oil to the top end and to fill the dipper troughs prior to starting the engine. I didn't hear it when we started and ran the engine the first time but after all of the sheetmetal is back on and everything connected there's a squeaking in the bottom of the engine. It sounds almost exactly like a chirping/squeaking fan belt that squeaks rhythmically - squeak, squeak, squeak. The faster the engine speed the quieter the noise and conversely the slower the engine speed the louder the noise. The frequency of the squeaking varies with the speed of the engine, getting faster as the engine speeds up. Driving at 30 MPH there is no noise but at idle it's noticeable 30 feet away. We looked extensively for the source of the noise. We even disconnected the fan belt to rule that out as the culprit. Sometimes it sounded like it's coming from the front of the engine, sometimes the back. To me, as a once-upon-a-time body man from long ago it sounds similar to two pieces of raw sheetmetal rubbing together and rhythmically squeaking. We call it the 'bird' because it's kind of a chirping squeak. We finally found the 'bird's' home but have yet to find the 'bird'. When we remove the road draft cap the sound gets much louder, the noise is inside the oil pan area. I've never heard a bad bearing but those who have tell me it sounds nothing like a scarred bearing. I drove the car to the engine builder's shop for him to listen to it and he's baffled. He says he's never heard the like. When I get it fired up again I'm going to record the sound and post it for you all to listen to. I'm looking for ideas of what to check and what it could be. Oh, yes the oil pressure starts and stays at about 15 PSI so it should be getting oil everywhere it needs it. Ideas????
Dust: Mud with the juice squeezed out.
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Don't bet on a horse named Tripod.
#835372 - Wed Mar 14 2012 10:10 PM Re: New Engine Problem, Need Advise [Re: Tiny]
truckernix Online
Loc: Bracebridge Ontario Canada
I think there have been previous posts about a squeaking that occurs when a rod isn't getting enough oil. Something like a dipper trough with a hole or a badly aimed sprayer could be responsible.

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#835375 - Wed Mar 14 2012 10:19 PM Re: New Engine Problem, Need Advise [Re: truckernix]
Mr. Lang Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Brentwood Bay, BC Canada
What Fred said, also, could a trough be so far out of alignment that the rod strikes it?

In the Gallery
Pictures in Photodork

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
#835381 - Wed Mar 14 2012 10:27 PM Re: New Engine Problem, Need Advise [Re: Mr. Lang]
Pre '68 Dave Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Snohomish,WA,USA
How about a bad fuel pump?
Have you tried it with the clutch in and out?
#835449 - Thu Mar 15 2012 08:18 AM Re: New Engine Problem, Need Advise [Re: Pre '68 Dave]
rickmg Online
Shop Shark
Loc: michigan
My 39 had a squeak. It was the clutch throwout bearing. What about the pilot bearing?
#835456 - Thu Mar 15 2012 08:41 AM Re: New Engine Problem, Need Advise [Re: rickmg]
Yakimabowtie Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Yakima, Wa.
Another item prone to squeaking is the pilot bushing.
#835471 - Thu Mar 15 2012 09:44 AM Re: New Engine Problem, Need Advise [Re: Yakimabowtie]
Tiny Offline
Loc: South Central Kansas
We replaced the pilot bearing. I would think a bushing or bearing would be a steady noise rather than rhythmic wouldn't it? One thing I didn't mention but should have is it can't be something that would hit/rub/strike on every revolution because the timing of the noise is the same as a noisy lifter. It doesn't chirp 500 times a minute. I've got to reset the valve lash and the chirp is almost in time to the noisy lifters. Seems like it might be in time with the cam. I don't believe anything was done with the troughs or squirters. To the best of my knowledge the pan was only removed and then reinstalled with a new gasket. I'll double check with the builder today about what if anything he did with that. I suppose it's possible he put on of the dippers on backward?? I'll pass the ideas along. I sure don't want to crawl my well fed self under there and pull that pan.
Dust: Mud with the juice squeezed out.
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Don't bet on a horse named Tripod.
#835478 - Thu Mar 15 2012 10:07 AM Re: New Engine Problem, Need Advise [Re: Tiny]
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Extreme Gabster
Loc: Dellrose, TN
If the squeak is a dry bearing, pulling the pan now might save it. Running it until you get a knock almost guarantees a ruined crankshaft as well as a bad bearing. I've also heard of the crankshaft hitting the pickup tube to the oil pump. The clearance there is VERY close. If the noise is at the same frequency as the valve operation, try removing the fuel pump and running the engine on the gas left in the carburetor or a gravity-feed can. Block the pump hole off with something or you'll get a massive oil leak.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#835490 - Thu Mar 15 2012 11:33 AM Re: New Engine Problem, Need Advise [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
truckernix Online
Loc: Bracebridge Ontario Canada
Tiny,
was anything done with the oil distributor valve?

Fred

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#835492 - Thu Mar 15 2012 11:35 AM Re: New Engine Problem, Need Advise [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
CASO Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Warrenton, Oregon
Take off the pan. Set up video cam on tripod and. Begin recording. Start engine. Run just long enough to aquire a few squeaks and shut engine off. Watch video on slow mo and see what is where when squeaks happens.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->