The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
57 registered ('54 3600, 49nut, 48bigtrucks, 1953 panel, 216nut, 3800rao, 4 invisible), 189 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,233 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,127 Topics
750,280 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
41chevyYS, 80chevyluv, bob klosterbuer, dcycle2000, don meyer, gmctom, Ian H
Image Posting Policy
New Reply
Topic Options
#834934 - Tue Mar 13 2012 01:01 PM 1951 windshield glass and gasket replacement
old stovebolter Offline
New Guy
Loc: homewood, alabama
Hi Folks-I hope I am not posting a previously answered question. Some 38 years ago I had new windshield glass and gasket put into my '51 half ton. The shop did an excellent job but no longer do glass work.It recently started leaking and I figured it was time to do it again,as the gasket was deteriorating and the glass had gotten all scratched up. The shop I took it to for the work put in an inferior quality gasket, and the gasket was not centered as it should be. I tried to straigten it out and just made it worse. Can anyone recommend a good vintage glass shop in the AL, GA, or TN area? Thanks,Tex the old stovebolter

#834999 - Tue Mar 13 2012 05:00 PM Re: 1951 windshield glass and gasket replacement [Re: old stovebolter]
jockbolter50 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Scotland
Sorry I can't help with a good glass shop local to you Tex.

Re: The replacement gasket,the general consensus is that Steele rubber products are by far the best quality,and AFAIK is made in the USA.
Most of the aftermarket rubber is produced in the R.O.C.,my own included and it has deteriorated and split in less than 6 years. It hasn't even been on the road yet!
Good luck with your search.

Edited by jockbolter50 (Tue Mar 13 2012 05:05 PM)

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
#835176 - Wed Mar 14 2012 04:59 AM Re: 1951 windshield glass and gasket replacement [Re: old stovebolter]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Murphy, NC
Order the rubber seal from Steele Rubber Products in Denver, North Carolina. Jim Carter Truck Parts sells the glass.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o510/Wolffman26/
#835216 - Wed Mar 14 2012 10:34 AM Re: 1951 windshield glass and gasket replacement [Re: Lucille]
old stovebolter Offline
New Guy
Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips. I may end up seeing who these folks reccomend doing the installation and take a little road trip to have the work done. I have done a fair amount of mechanical tinkering and painting on the old bomber over the years, but Murphy would definitely be around if I tried to replace window
gaskets. I get aggravated and frustrated with the old girl from
time to time and threaten to sell it, but it would be like losing
a long-time friend.

Thanks Again, Tex
#836085 - Sat Mar 17 2012 01:30 PM Re: 1951 windshield glass and gasket replacement [Re: old stovebolter]
oldblu65 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Just east of Mowbray
Tex , may I offer a suggestion ? I know Honest Charley's in Chattanooga doesn't do glass installation but they do deal with vintage vehicles on a daily basis . Besides running the speed shop , they also restore cars and trucks so " someone " does the window installation and likely it is a local shop that does so . Why not call them and ask who does the " window replacements " for them ! Likely it will be a shop that specializes in vintage installs as well as modern vehicle repairs . Homewood and Chattanooga aren't too far apart so you could make an appointment with this shop ( assuming you find out their name ) and next time you are passing through , have them do the replacement . Just my $0.02 !
#836144 - Sat Mar 17 2012 06:33 PM Re: 1951 windshield glass and gasket replacement [Re: oldblu65]
old stovebolter Offline
New Guy
Hey Old Blue,
Thanks for the tip I have actually visited Honest Charley's while visiting Chattannoga and it seems to be a neat shop. Don't know why I didn't think of them as a resource.
Tex
#836255 - Sun Mar 18 2012 02:45 AM Re: 1951 windshield glass and gasket replacement [Re: old stovebolter]
jockbolter50 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Scotland
Great advice from oldblu,Tex.
I would much rather entrust my truck to a shop who specializes in old iron.
Like he says,they will possibly have their own guy 'in-house' with the skills or at least use someone who can do the work.

I'm fortunate as I work in the automotive glass trade so I can do this myself.
So if mine's wrong there's only one guy I can blame! grin

The big national companies are more interested in quantity rather than quality.
They seldom have the knowledge/skill or even interest in earlier vehicles.

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .

Moderator:  cletis 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->