The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
14 registered (chadkiser, don stocker, DrewP, chevytruckdaddy, Bill Marlow, 5 Window 9434), 78 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,091 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,834 Topics
748,625 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
bigjohn83, biglou55, I'm new to the old, kristof, RA HART
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#833419 - Thu Mar 08 2012 01:26 PM Climbing Hills?
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Murphy, NC
I don't like the performance I'm getting climbing hills. When I approach a hill I have to really give Lucille gas to build up speed, however, once I am maybe half way up the hill she starts cutting out on me. I let my foot off the gas slightly and she reacts and catchs up with power a bit, then I give her a little more gas and she'll start cutting out a bit more. It's this back and forth thing we go through. I've got her set to the correct RPM (475 approx), new points, condenser, distributor cap and plugs. Should I be playing with the throttle as I climb a hill? Can someone explain to me the usage of the throttle? Or do I have another obvious problem that I don't understand? This old technology stumps me sometimes. Especially on the performance side of things.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o510/Wolffman26/
#833420 - Thu Mar 08 2012 01:31 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
truckernix Offline
Loc: Bracebridge Ontario Canada
The throttle is used to bring up the idle when it is warming up. I also use mine to set the idle a little higher as a convenience starting on hills. If you engine is running correctly there shoudl be no need to back off the gas pedal on a hill.

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#833425 - Thu Mar 08 2012 01:47 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: truckernix]
Old 'Burb Lover Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Calgary Alberta
Something similar happened to me once. Turned out to be a vacuum leak. After I found the problem and fixed it everything was fine.

I don't know if that's your case, but its something to check into.

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage, or working class flat, is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

- George Orwell

#833429 - Thu Mar 08 2012 02:08 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Old 'Burb Lover]
hankrags Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: colorado springs, CO
I would check the fuel filter and fuel pump.
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG
#833493 - Thu Mar 08 2012 06:19 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: hankrags]
Denny Graham Online
Master Gabster
Loc: Sandwich, IL
Nope, I can lug my 216 with the Carter W-1 down in fourth gear
to 20 mph on a hill and floor it and it's a steady pull right up
to cruising speed.

DG
#833519 - Thu Mar 08 2012 07:37 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Extreme Gabster
Loc: Dellrose, TN
You mentioned changing everything but plug wires. They're definitely a possibility when dealing with a miss under load. If it's a sharp loss of power, not a gradual loss and a surge back to normal pulling, it's probably ignition, not fuel. Try a new set of plug wires before you chase any more gremlins.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#833665 - Fri Mar 09 2012 08:59 AM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
Joe H Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Lee's Summit Mo. 64086
Mine did that when it was running lean, check float level, fuel supply, and for a vacuum leak. I bet your milage is decent having to let off all the time !

Joe
#833758 - Fri Mar 09 2012 03:07 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Murphy, NC
Jerry, I just installed new ignition wires this morning. I think I may be firing on all cylinders but its hard to tell. Sounds and feels like it. At idle I get these little fart sounds out of the tail pipe like something is a little off. Anyway I took her out and tryed to do Denny's trick of climbing a hill at 20MPH and then accelerating to gain speed. No such luck she still is lacking the power to climb. I got her on level ground and ran her a couple of miles. At one point when I was turning around to come back she back-fired through the carb one time in second gear going really slow. So I thought that it must be the timing. I had her advanced quite a bit, so I retarded her to 4 degrees. Tested her again and kept playing around with the distributor thinking I'll eventually find the sweet spot. It seemed to work the best at about 2 degrees advanced. Still the power is lacking. I'm thinking of removing the vacuum line to see if its gunked up. It's really got me scratching my head. I mean these are basic machines. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out but I'm really stumped. Any further tests or suggests about where to go next? Was there ever a standard setting to retard the distributor a couple degrees as they came out of the factory? Just curious.
Oh, one other thing. This afternoon when I was out making distributor adjustments, when I would gun her I'd get a whole bunch of back-fire farts out of the exhaust no matter where I set the distibutor. What does that mean?

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o510/Wolffman26/
#833792 - Fri Mar 09 2012 06:16 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
don stocker Online
Shop Shark
Loc: osceola, wi
Maybe put a vacuum gauge on it and see what it says? Have you adjusted the valves lately? You could always do a compression test and see what it says? The a couple of ideas ......
#833801 - Fri Mar 09 2012 06:52 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Extreme Gabster
Loc: Dellrose, TN
If you've got a manual choke, try pulling the knob out a little to create a slightly rich mixture. It's possible the power valve in the carburetor isn't opening up and the drop in manifold vacuum as you go to open throttle is causing a lean-out. Have you checked the fuel volume to see if the pump is delivering enough gas? Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, run the line into a 1-quart catch can, and crank the engine up. It should flow at least a pint in 30 seconds at idle speed, running on the fuel in the float bowl.

Also, try a cylinder balance test, where you run the engine at a constant 1,000-1,200 RPM with a tachometer and a vacuum gauge connected. Disconnect one spark plug wire at a time and record the RPM and vacuum drop for each one. If you've got one with a leaky valve, etc. the RPM and vacuum will not drop as much as a healthy cylinder.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->