The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
32 registered (2-Ton, baldeagle, 53 green 1- ton, 6571, 55 SHAKER, 2 invisible), 173 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,095 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,862 Topics
748,841 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
1Low53Burb, BB, Big Pink, Cartman, Chris's 46 / 515, Chucks Chariots, Cliffie, DonGarySan, J.T., Jinman60, JudasUrsus, Michael A. Nixon, MT, Randys_37
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#833419 - Thu Mar 08 2012 01:26 PM Climbing Hills?
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Murphy, NC
I don't like the performance I'm getting climbing hills. When I approach a hill I have to really give Lucille gas to build up speed, however, once I am maybe half way up the hill she starts cutting out on me. I let my foot off the gas slightly and she reacts and catchs up with power a bit, then I give her a little more gas and she'll start cutting out a bit more. It's this back and forth thing we go through. I've got her set to the correct RPM (475 approx), new points, condenser, distributor cap and plugs. Should I be playing with the throttle as I climb a hill? Can someone explain to me the usage of the throttle? Or do I have another obvious problem that I don't understand? This old technology stumps me sometimes. Especially on the performance side of things.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o510/Wolffman26/
#833420 - Thu Mar 08 2012 01:31 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
truckernix Offline
Loc: Bracebridge Ontario Canada
The throttle is used to bring up the idle when it is warming up. I also use mine to set the idle a little higher as a convenience starting on hills. If you engine is running correctly there shoudl be no need to back off the gas pedal on a hill.

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#833425 - Thu Mar 08 2012 01:47 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: truckernix]
Old 'Burb Lover Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Calgary Alberta
Something similar happened to me once. Turned out to be a vacuum leak. After I found the problem and fixed it everything was fine.

I don't know if that's your case, but its something to check into.

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage, or working class flat, is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

- George Orwell

#833429 - Thu Mar 08 2012 02:08 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Old 'Burb Lover]
hankrags Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: colorado springs, CO
I would check the fuel filter and fuel pump.
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG
#833493 - Thu Mar 08 2012 06:19 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: hankrags]
Denny Graham Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: Sandwich, IL
Nope, I can lug my 216 with the Carter W-1 down in fourth gear
to 20 mph on a hill and floor it and it's a steady pull right up
to cruising speed.

DG
#833519 - Thu Mar 08 2012 07:37 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Extreme Gabster
Loc: Dellrose, TN
You mentioned changing everything but plug wires. They're definitely a possibility when dealing with a miss under load. If it's a sharp loss of power, not a gradual loss and a surge back to normal pulling, it's probably ignition, not fuel. Try a new set of plug wires before you chase any more gremlins.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#833665 - Fri Mar 09 2012 08:59 AM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
Joe H Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Lee's Summit Mo. 64086
Mine did that when it was running lean, check float level, fuel supply, and for a vacuum leak. I bet your milage is decent having to let off all the time !

Joe
#833758 - Fri Mar 09 2012 03:07 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Jerry, I just installed new ignition wires this morning. I think I may be firing on all cylinders but its hard to tell. Sounds and feels like it. At idle I get these little fart sounds out of the tail pipe like something is a little off. Anyway I took her out and tryed to do Denny's trick of climbing a hill at 20MPH and then accelerating to gain speed. No such luck she still is lacking the power to climb. I got her on level ground and ran her a couple of miles. At one point when I was turning around to come back she back-fired through the carb one time in second gear going really slow. So I thought that it must be the timing. I had her advanced quite a bit, so I retarded her to 4 degrees. Tested her again and kept playing around with the distributor thinking I'll eventually find the sweet spot. It seemed to work the best at about 2 degrees advanced. Still the power is lacking. I'm thinking of removing the vacuum line to see if its gunked up. It's really got me scratching my head. I mean these are basic machines. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out but I'm really stumped. Any further tests or suggests about where to go next? Was there ever a standard setting to retard the distributor a couple degrees as they came out of the factory? Just curious.
Oh, one other thing. This afternoon when I was out making distributor adjustments, when I would gun her I'd get a whole bunch of back-fire farts out of the exhaust no matter where I set the distibutor. What does that mean?

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#833792 - Fri Mar 09 2012 06:16 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
don stocker Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: osceola, wi
Maybe put a vacuum gauge on it and see what it says? Have you adjusted the valves lately? You could always do a compression test and see what it says? The a couple of ideas ......
#833801 - Fri Mar 09 2012 06:52 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Extreme Gabster
If you've got a manual choke, try pulling the knob out a little to create a slightly rich mixture. It's possible the power valve in the carburetor isn't opening up and the drop in manifold vacuum as you go to open throttle is causing a lean-out. Have you checked the fuel volume to see if the pump is delivering enough gas? Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, run the line into a 1-quart catch can, and crank the engine up. It should flow at least a pint in 30 seconds at idle speed, running on the fuel in the float bowl.

Also, try a cylinder balance test, where you run the engine at a constant 1,000-1,200 RPM with a tachometer and a vacuum gauge connected. Disconnect one spark plug wire at a time and record the RPM and vacuum drop for each one. If you've got one with a leaky valve, etc. the RPM and vacuum will not drop as much as a healthy cylinder.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#833867 - Fri Mar 09 2012 10:29 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
helilog56 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Langley, B.C.
Perhaps a check on the mechanical and vacumn advance would be in order also?
#834038 - Sat Mar 10 2012 01:32 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Jerry,
This morning I performed three of the tests that you suggested and here is the outcome.

First I let Lucille warm up really good to about 150 degrees. The idle with choke fully in finally settled down to 475 RPM after I disconnected the wiper vacuum and hooked up my vacuum gage. Vacuum at idle was 12-13 inches. Dizzy was 2 degrees advanced.

Test #1 was for fuel pump flow rate. You said it should be 1 pint (16 oz) in 30 seconds. My gas volume was 5-6 oz in 30 seconds at idle .

Test # 2 was the RPM/Vacuum drop test at 1100 RPM.
Cylinder #1 = 1100 RPM and 17.5"
Cylinder #2 = 1050 RPM and 17.5"
Cylinder #3 = 1100 RPM and 18"
Cylinder #4 = 1100 RPM and 18"
Cylinder #5 = 1050 RPM and 17.5"
Cylinder #6 = 1000 RPM and 17-17.5"

Test #3 I pulled out the choke about a half inch and it seemed just slightly better but no strong acceleration on a hill.

Your opinion?

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#834047 - Sat Mar 10 2012 02:22 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
CASO Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Warrenton, Oregon
Which degree of advance in your timing gives you the highest amount of Vac?
Does Vac increase any with more advance?
#834049 - Sat Mar 10 2012 02:26 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: CASO]
joe apple Online
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: parkville, missouri
Hello: How new is the gasoline in the tank? Fuel that is old usually doesn't run well in an engine.
#834060 - Sat Mar 10 2012 03:02 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: CASO]
helilog56 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Langley, B.C.
Caso.....vacumn, wether ported or manifold is what increases advance along with the flyweights and springs ...it's a combination of both that helps control ignition within the combustion chamber .
Good advance curve is required too make good power and fuel mileage.

Edited by helilog56 (Sat Mar 10 2012 03:04 PM)
#834073 - Sat Mar 10 2012 04:05 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: helilog56]
Old 'Burb Lover Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Calgary Alberta
I've been following this and I'm stumped. headscratch headscratch

If its not a vacuum leak, or a wire on a wrong cylinder or two - or any of the other stuff posted here - I'd be ready to tear my hair out. (what's left of it).

Let us all know what it turns out to be!

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage, or working class flat, is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

- George Orwell

#834077 - Sat Mar 10 2012 04:27 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Extreme Gabster
Originally Posted By: Lucille
My gas volume was 5-6 oz in 30 seconds at idle

Find the restriction in the fuel system. You've either got a pinched line, a collapsed flex line, or something in the tank that's keeping the gas from getting to the pump. It's also possible the check valves in the pump aren't working right. The pump should produce 3-4 PSI pressure on the carburetor side when deadheaded into a gauge, and hold the pressure for at least a few seconds after shut down, and the fuel tank side of the pump should produce 8-10 inches of vacuum minimum, and the vacuum should stay put for a short time after shutting down. Failing either the pressure or vacuum test is reason to replace the pump. You could also try pulling from a container other then the fuel tank, and see if the volume improves.

With as low a fuel volume as you're getting to the carb, you'll never be able to produce much power.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#834084 - Sat Mar 10 2012 05:09 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: helilog56]
CASO Offline
Shop Shark
I should have been more specific referring to initial timing. I was asking because the vac seemed low to me and was curious the effect of advancing the initial timing has of the idle Vac reading.
I seem recall being advised advancing the IT several degrees past the book to compensate for today's octane levels.
#834094 - Sat Mar 10 2012 05:43 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Jerry,
Thank you for your input. I'm going to look at the lines from the gas tank to the fuel pump tomorrow. I don't believe there are any restrictions, but I haven't looked yet so I may be surprised. Hopefully not. On Monday I'll go buy a new fuel pump and install it. Your test suggestion made that a no brainer! I'm looking at this pump from NAPA:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=AFP429_0252755411&An=0&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)
I'll let you and everyone else know how things turn out.
BTW, you didn't comment about the RPM/Vacuum drop test numbers. I assume you didn't see any big issues, right? Just curious.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#834100 - Sat Mar 10 2012 06:17 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Extreme Gabster
Those cylinder balance numbers look good. An obviously bad cylinder would have little or no RPM drop, and the vacuum wouldn't change much. Since the cylinder isn't making much power, killing the ignition won't make much difference in the power it's producing.

Just for grins, before you start swapping parts, rig a small gas can to the fuel pump with a piece of flex tubing, and see if the performance improves. I've done a bunch of test drives with a lawn mower gas can on the front floorboard and a long rubber hose out the window and over the fender to the fuel pump.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#834241 - Sun Mar 11 2012 11:06 AM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
Joe H Offline
Shop Shark
Set the timing one or two degrees more then the book says and leave it, you are creating more then one problem at a time. Its not going to effect it much from one end of the scale to the other.

First order of business is to get fuel flow and volume. Low pressure can really mess you. I finished up a hotrod Pontiac last month that wouldn't run quite right. Idled OK and run around town with out much problem, but was low on power much like yours. Turned out the fuel regulator had backed off to 1.5 psi. I set it back up to 4.5 and the thing came alive. You could even here to difference in idle.

I would bet if you shut your engine off half way up the hill when its cutting out, you would find the carb half full or less of fuel. Add a pressure gauge where you can see it and monitor the fuel pressure at the carb inlet. You could also add a short piece of clear tubbing in the fuel line where you can see it and go for a drive, I would bet not much fuel is flowing when needed.

Joe

Joe
#834245 - Sun Mar 11 2012 11:29 AM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Joe H]
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Extreme Gabster
I had a similar symptom with a 47 Mercury with a flathead V-8 back in the early 1960's. After all the diagnostic tests I've described, including changing to a Carter fuel pump, it still had 14" of vacuum on the fuel line where it entered the tank. The problem turned out to be a 2" long grasshopper in the pickup tube in the bottom of the tank. The car would run about a mile, stall, and refuse to start for 10 minutes or so while enough gas leaked past the restriction to refill the fuel line.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#834607 - Mon Mar 12 2012 03:29 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Now I'm scratching my head. headscratch

I have pulled the fuel pump and noticed that the screws around the perimeter of the pump which hold the two halves of the pump together were loose. You could see evidence of a small amount of gas that had leaked. I took the pump apart and everything was clean inside. No small particles at all. I reassembled the pump and made sure that the screws were tight. I attached my vacuum gage and on the inlet I was easily able to get 8-10 inches of vacuum just by hand pumping. Over on the pressure side I could get 3 1/2 pounds once again by hand. Now I know this was air pressure/vacuum, so does that mean anything because its air pressure and not liquid? Wouldn't they produce the same results?
I also disconnected the fuel line from the gas tank and blew it out with my hand tire pump into a container. Clean gas and just a few very tiny particles.
I'm suspicious of those pump screws. Could that be the problem. Just those small screws on the pump? I don't know the make of the pump, but it does say "Made in the USA" on the pump casting and there is a tag with the number 429 on it.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#834610 - Mon Mar 12 2012 03:35 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
red58 Offline
Boltergeist
Loc: north of the 49th
yes the loose screws could have been the whole problem, that would have caused the diaphragm to be moving less and less effectively, as well as the leaking

Bill
#834614 - Mon Mar 12 2012 03:40 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
I stand corrected....14" vacuum and 3 1/4 pounds pressure!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#834718 - Mon Mar 12 2012 08:30 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Extreme Gabster
Hand-pumping can often make a tired pump look good, because you're moving the diaphragm further than the camshsft lobe does. Loose screws will definitely cause problems- - - -air leaks. Try the volume check again after the teardown/reassembly, and I'll wager you'll get a lot more volume. Then it's time for a test drive.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#834757 - Mon Mar 12 2012 10:13 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
red58 Offline
Boltergeist
what Jerry says makes me think of another possibility: you may have a worn actuator arm on the pump or a worn lobe, either one resulting in not moving the diaphragm far enough to keep up with full load demand

Bill
#834959 - Tue Mar 13 2012 02:57 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: red58]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
OK, here goes! This morning I decided that I would take apart this old fuel pump, clean it up and reassemble it then install it back in Lucille figuring that maybe those loose screws were the issue. So I took her for a run and struggled to get her up the hill in my development when she was still not all the way warmed up. Choke slightly out. Well, I thought hey, I'll try to make some adjustments to see if I can improve the power performance. I played with the carb and the dizzy to try and get a good vacuum reading at the intake manifold. After several ajustments I finally was able to get 17" of vacuum with the idle at 750 RPM (should be 475). The dizzy ended up at approximately 6 degrees advanced with the choke pulled out slightly. Didn't sound too bad even though I think it was racing too much. I have one of those see-thru fuel filters just ahead of the carb and I could see fuel flowing into to it. With those conditions I took her for a run on a level road and she had plenty of get up and go. I turned onto a road that starts with you going downhill and then there is a good half mile uphill grade. Not that steep. Lucille was still cutting out on me and I had to let off the gas slightly for her to resume. When I got to the stoplight she was racing like crazy because of the choke being slightly out. I pushed it back in and headed back home. When I reached another small hill I pulled out the choke slightly again until I came to a stop sign. Once again shes racing like crazy. Went back to my garage and shut her down. I looked at her fuel filter and it was full of gas.
It's that cutting out and having to increase the RPM's to get a decent idle vacuum that concerns me. So, I went out and picked up a new fuel pump I had ordered from NAPA yesterday and will swap the pumps out tomorrow. With the old pump there must still not be enough back pressure on the carb thus the reason that Lucille cuts out on the power demand side. I really should not have to use my choke or set my RPM's that high to get the performance I'm looking for, right?

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#834984 - Tue Mar 13 2012 04:29 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Kurt_51carryall Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Raleigh,NC
I read the thread and did not see if you have a fuel filter, and if you do, have you tried changing it? I have had the symptoms you describe with an old filter.

Have also had the symptoms you describe with old gas.

also with bad sparkplugs (bad out of the box)

and with a bad vacuum advance.

Can you tell I've had my truck a long time? smile
#835343 - Wed Mar 14 2012 08:28 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Kurt_51carryall]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Interesting day to say the least. This morning started with looking at the information that came with the new fuel pump. Its manufactured by Airtex (#429) for NAPA and its assembled in Mexico. No problem. For all you folks out there, here are two interesting "Caution" notices that came with the fuel pump.
#1) CAUTION, To insure long life and leak proof service with this fuel pump, tighten all exterior bolts and screws before installation.

And the next real important "CAUTION" is: ( was worrying about this at 4:30 this morning)

#2) CAUTION: If the old pump had a ruptured diaphragm gasoline may have leaked into the crankcase. Check and change engine oil if necessary to prevent engine bearing damage due to poor lubrication.

Well needless to say I did both. Tightened bolts and screws and did an oil change.

Installed new fuel pump.

Lucille started with little effort with the choke pulled out slightly. Good! Ran up the hill out of my development before I really let her warm up good. Choke pushed in. Struggled a bit but we got to the top and then I pulled over to check out readings after 5 minutes run time.
Manifold vacuum 15.5"
RPM 700
Temp 140

After 10 minutes run time.
Manifold vacuum 16.5 to 17"
RPM 750
Temp 160

After 20 minutes run time.
Manifold vacuum 17-18"
RPM 800
Temp 170

Time for a ride! 8 miles. Lucille cut out on me three times when I was trying to climb a hill. Just enough where I had to let off the gas and she would immediately "catch" and resume power.
Came back to my starting point. The readings were:
Manifold vacuum 18.5"
RPM 925
Temp 170

So here we go again, she racing like crazy, so I'm thinking I've got to adjust the throttle on the carb to slow her down.. After throttle adjustments she was:
Manifold vacuum 16.5 - 17.5"
RPM 650
Temp 180

Now it gets really interesting!!
I put her in gear and can't move!!! My left rear brake has locked up due to an incorrect adjustment. It's overheated and all I can do is let the wheel cool down. I have all new relined brakes, new brake cylinders and stainless steel lines with new master cylinder and the system is leak tight. I will pull that wheel and adjust the pads. No problem.

So today, in the end, I believe my power performance had improved as long as I would have let Lucille warm up a bit more at the start. It was quite warm today (got to 85) and that surely helped the tight brake pad/drum to over heat. An easy fix that may have also contributed to Lucille not being able to perform at her peak.

I still have to figure out how to maintain good vacuum and the correct spark advance.

Another gremlin in the system may be my vacuum windshield wipers. I may try to run Lucille without them and just temporally cap off that connection to the intake manifold and see if the truck performs any better. Gotta get that vacuum right! Trying to get everything RIGHT! I just want to enjoy my truck more and get her out more often so folks can see her. She's a beauty!

In response to Kurt_51carryall,:
I have a fuel filter just ahead of the carb that is not very old. Gas is new. Sparks are all new and vacuum advance is 6 degrees.

To all, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#835351 - Wed Mar 14 2012 09:11 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
48jock Offline
New Guy
Loc: Bombay, New York
I had a problem with my truck and no power. I checked the timing and changed the fuel pump with no change. It wound up being the ethanol gas. I put the additive in the tank and fixed the problem.
#835369 - Wed Mar 14 2012 10:02 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: 48jock]
don stocker Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: osceola, wi
Thinking you have a intake manifold gasket leaking?
#835447 - Thu Mar 15 2012 08:08 AM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Kurt_51carryall Offline
Shop Shark
You might try plugging the wiper port, check the vacuum, and then plug the port going to the vacuum advance, and check the vacuum.

Kurt
#835544 - Thu Mar 15 2012 01:43 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Kurt_51carryall]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
This morning I made an adjustment to the left rear brake pads ( the old hucks). When I had them relined I think the new pads were us a bit too thick. I have very little room for ajustment inwards. Guess I'll just have to wear them in a bit.

On another point I noticed that since I installed the new fuel pump my see thru fuel filter ahead of the carb is totally full of gas. That was never the case before! Maybe I won one battle....

Also this morning I hooked up my vacuum gage and tac so that they are on the inside of the cab.

OK, time to see how things are running!

Time is 11:52 - Start cold engine.
Choke all the way out and then quickly back in to about a 1" after she is running.
Vacuum 19"
RPM 1150
Temp Ambient 67degrees

After one minute slowly pushed choke to about a 1/2" out.
Vacuum 15-16"
RPM 475
Temp <100 degrees

Time is 11:56
Pushed the choke in all the way.
Vacuum 15-16"
RPM 600
Temp 130

Time is 12:00
Vacuum 16-16.5"
RPM 650
Temp 140

Time is 12:05
Vacuum is 17-17.5"
RPM 700
Temp 160

Ride time up the hill in my development.
Time 12:07
Went up hill in second gear. Vacuum drops to 6". Drove through the development and noticed that as I shifted gears the vacuum would drop to 6" (sometimes 0") and then climb to 22". Needle was all over the place.

To be honest with all you folks out there, I don't have a clue about what I am looking at!! Can some explain to me in laymans terms just what this engine vacuum means? Are the fluctuations I'm seeing normal or is it telling me something that is wrong? Its not only vacuum but timing and carburation. What would be the logical approach to getting these under control? Step one...step two...etc.

BTW, when I got back home (only drove her about a mile) I saw that the fuel filter was half empty. I think it will recharge itself after cool down. The other thing I noticed was what appeared to be gas on the outside of the carb. That kind of bother me. I surely don't want an engine fire!

Oh, you know what I just thought as I write this? I haven't checked the vacuum line from the dizzy to the carb. Gotta do that. And also Lucille is being run by a 216. Just an FYI in case no one knew.

I'm exhausted over here!!

Will the "Truck Gods" please help me??

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#835551 - Thu Mar 15 2012 01:58 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
CASO Offline
Shop Shark
The Vac drop when the throttle opens is normal thumbs_up and then it finds it's new equilibrium so to speak.
Your numbers are more like I would expect, and you should find out about the moisture on the carb... mop it with a kleenex and take it out side and put a match to it... If it poofs you know it isn't water!!!

You didn't really mention how the truck ran up the hill and that's really why I'm writing cause like others watching I want to know if it's any better!
#835554 - Thu Mar 15 2012 02:04 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
CASO Offline
Shop Shark
as I shifted gears the vacuum would drop to 6" (sometimes 0") and then climb to 22". Needle was all over the place.

To be honest with all you folks out there, I don't have a clue about what I am looking at!!

check this out
Using a Vac Gauge and what it means
#835555 - Thu Mar 15 2012 02:07 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: CASO]
jomichael Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Have you tried putting it 4 wheel drive? Works for me.

Seriously, if you have gas on the outside of the carb, you may have found your problem. How new is your fuel pump?
#835558 - Thu Mar 15 2012 02:10 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
DADS50 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Nevada
Time is 11:56
Pushed the choke in all the way.
Vacuum 15-16"
RPM 600
Temp 130

Sounds like you have your fuel delivery issue solved. Thats good

your vacuum reading looks low.
I believe your fast idle should be set at 450 to 500 rmp once the engine is warm.(check your manual)

your vacuum reading should be between 17-21 at that rpm.

Have you put a timing light on it?

YouTube

1950 3100

Hitchin a ride

.New Pic.
#835559 - Thu Mar 15 2012 02:16 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: DADS50]
CASO Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted By: DADS50
Have you put a timing light on it?

IIRC it was last set @ 6 BTDC
#835565 - Thu Mar 15 2012 02:53 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: CASO]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
CASO,
I just ran up on hill in my neighborhood. All I had on my mind was reading the gages. I didn't take her out on the run I did yesterday (8 miles). So, your right, I don't know if its better. Will do that now! Also, no I haven't put a timing light on her. Will try and do that later.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#835575 - Thu Mar 15 2012 03:23 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Kurt_51carryall Offline
Shop Shark
Have you checked to make sure your vacuum advance is working? You can check this by looking at the distributor with the engine running, and reach over and goose the throttle. You should see the whole distributor rotate 10 or 12 degrees. If it doesn't rotate, you may have a blown diaphram in the vacuum advance. This will affect your performance, and will cause a vacuum leak.

I would also check your gauge and make sure it is reading zero when it is not connected. Your altitude will affect the reading. It should have an adjustment to set it to zero.

Good luck!

Kurt
#835582 - Thu Mar 15 2012 03:42 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: CASO]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
CASO,

Took a run at 3:00 PM. 8 miles.

Start
Vacuum at idle 18-19"
Rpm 1050
Temp <100

Return time 3:18 PM
Vacuum at idle 18-19"
RPM 1050
Temp 170

On run vacuum fluctuated 6" to 23".
Step on gas vacuum drops.
Let off gas vacuum is easily 22-23"
Climbed that 1/2 mile long hill and vacuum drops to 0-6" about half the way up and Lucille is losing power and cut out twice.
When I let off the gas she kicks back in immediately and vacuum is 10-15".
Eased up on acceleration for the last half of the hill to get her to the top.
What does that mean?

Thats the latest story.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#835583 - Thu Mar 15 2012 03:49 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
red58 Offline
Boltergeist
that means that the fuel pump was the problem [as suggested way up this thread], and you need to learn how to use the choke properly, and get a higher thermostat - when it's not up to proper operating temperature it needs some choke, and 'proper operating temperature' is 180+ .... fergit the vacuum, the more you push the gas, the more the vacuum drops which is as it should be .... figure out how to operate the beast and just drive'er

Bill
#835589 - Thu Mar 15 2012 04:02 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: red58]
chadkiser Online
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Mt Ulla NC
Haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but could there be a restriction in the exhaust? That could cause the vacuum to drop to zero. See Scenario 14 here: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm
#835593 - Thu Mar 15 2012 04:17 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: chadkiser]
red58 Offline
Boltergeist
situation seems more scenario 2 with the engine too cold, from the descriptions the vacuum doesn't stay at zero or drop with increasing throttle ..... but might help David to study that page

Bill
#835601 - Thu Mar 15 2012 04:57 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: red58]
Drydock Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: MO
Forget vacuum, its fine, start looking at other things. I agree, a 180 thermostat is a must. You might have a partial fuel blockage somwhere as well. I had a quite similiar problem, pulled the top of the carb bowl and found what looked like a wheat hull paritaly blocking the float valve inlet. (Carter W-1) Starving the engine at peak demand. WOT, reduced flow can't keep up, bowl empties, engine starts cutting out. Let off, bowl refills, runs fine.

Edited by Drydock (Thu Mar 15 2012 05:00 PM)
More pix of the old truck
#835604 - Thu Mar 15 2012 05:13 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: red58]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
red58 and others,
The thermostat point is well taken! As you can see by my previous post I hardly ever got to 180 degrees. I takes too long to get there. So, maybe I've either got the wrong thermo or I'm not patient enough to get her warmed up. It takes forever, it seems, to get to that temp. Maybe my fuel/air mixture is too rich. The only way you get a hot flame is with a lean mixture and the right amount of air. So, if I'm running under 180 degrees I may be running too rich, right? Does that make sence?

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#835607 - Thu Mar 15 2012 05:41 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
red58 Offline
Boltergeist
you're over thinking it all, just get it the way it should be, the reasoning was done by the Generals engineers 70 years ago - the ol 6 will run best warm but it has to be forced to warm up, and until it gets there use the choke when loading it, that's why they put it there .... my experience has always been that the 6's with a stock cooling system tend to run too cool with a stat less than 180, if you only get to 170 in 15 minutes you've got a 160-165 stat or a defective one that doesn't close properly

Bill
#835609 - Thu Mar 15 2012 05:46 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: red58]
Drydock Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Read back, you've got a new filter just ahead of the carb, Have you ever had the thermostat housing off? You'ld be amazed how many folks just leave the dang thing out!
#835611 - Thu Mar 15 2012 05:52 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
DADS50 Offline
Shop Shark
Once you get the proper stat installed and engine warm, set your Carter per the steps below
idling Adjustment steps 1-5

ignition timing
steps 1-3

YouTube

1950 3100

Hitchin a ride

.New Pic.
#835648 - Thu Mar 15 2012 08:46 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: DADS50]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
First, I myself and a whole bunch of viewers greatly appreciate all of those who contributed to this thread and their knowledge about these old technology machines. I think there are many folks viewing that, like myself, who just don't know or undersatnd how these machines were designed to operate during that period of history. 1930's - 1960's. I think my thread has struck a nerve as seen by the number of folks viewing. If I can help others by my constant inquiry about performance issues that many have then I have learned alot and so have others. This is why Stovebolt.com is so successful.

I will switch out my thermostat to a 180 degree one. I had installed a new thermo 4 years ago when I got the truck, however, I don't recall what the rating was. I also didn't know at the time that 180 degrees was the appropriate temperature for a 216. I kind of thought at the time (and what do I know) cooler was better. Another example of old technology info that people aren't aware of.

DADS50, thanks for pointing me (and others) to some important steps for idle and timing adjustments. I'll try and knock them out next after I install the correct thermostat.

Once again, thank you all for your input. I couldn't do this alone without you.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#835661 - Thu Mar 15 2012 09:52 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Joe H Offline
Shop Shark
Here is some more to think about,

Before changing the thermostat, drill a 1/8" hole in the edge of it to let air out of the head as you fill the coolant system. You can also force the stat open and slip a aspirin in the opening, as coolant enters and air exits, the aspirin will melt shutting the t-stat.

Forget the vacuum gauge, you can never get a steady reading while driving. Its doing what it should be doing. As for being low, who knows, it might be right for your engine, not all are the same, age, wear and tear all make a difference. Driving with a vacuum gauge is for fuel milage, try to keep it as high as possible and you will get the best fuel milage. That will mean a very tender foot on the accelerator.

Advancing the timing will bring up the vacuum at idle, its a good way to adjust the timing if you don't have a light. The idle speed will also increase as the timing is advanced, so back it off as you advance the timing to keep the mechanical advance weights in a closed position. As the engine speed increases, the timing should also advance from the mechanical weights being thrown outwards. You can check this with a timing light, slowly increase the throttle opening and the timing should slowly advance. In 1937 the distributor is designed with 46 degrees total advance @ 3500 rpm with 17 more degrees of vacuum advance. Our modern day fuels are much better then when the truck was being used, and your compression is way low compared to a modern engine, so more timing will have no damaging effects on the engine. If it helps great, if not return it back to where you started.

You carb is not running rich or it would climb hills. You have something wrong in the carb that is not letting the power circuit kick in. Engines require more fuel under a load such as climbing hills, so the carb is designed to increase the air to fuel ratio as the throttle is opened farther and farther. Get a shop manual and read up on the power circuit of the carb you are using, then pull yours apart and fix the problem! Reading my '37 manual, the original carburetors have a moving metering rod which adds fuel the higher its pulled out of the jet. Its a stepped rod with the power mode at the tip. If yours is not working or is adjusted wrong, it will never get to the power circuit thus causing your hill climbing problems.

Idle adjustments only effect idle. Once the throttle is open, it bypasses the idle circuit.

Vacuum advance will also not effect the power circuit since the vacuum drops to zero when the engine is accelerating. Vacuum advance is good for fuel milage, it pulls in a bunch more timing at light throttle or cruise when there is little or no load on the engine. As the load increases, the vacuum drops and the timing retards back to the original setting. Just make sure its working, theres no vacuum leak, and your timing is set a few higher then stock.

Joe
#835670 - Thu Mar 15 2012 10:07 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Joe H]
Mr. Lang Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Brentwood Bay, BC Canada
How about the exhaust riser valve? Is it functioning? I don't recall seeing it mentioned it above (but I could have easily missed it).

In the Gallery
Pictures in Photodork

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
#836117 - Sat Mar 17 2012 04:22 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Joe H]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Thanks for all the input folks!

As of right now I have pulled my carburetor and went back and reviewed what I did when I rebuilt it in 2007. There is only 1200 miles on that that carb, but I did notice that I had made a note about some missing felt washers in the rebuild kit. They were little felt washers that were suppose to be slipped over each end of the throttle shaft. I can see that there was leakage there on the outside. Finding a tiny felt washer to seal the leak around the throttle shaft would be impossible, so, I made my own out of leather. I took 1/8" thick leather, cut it to a 1/2" square and punched a 5/16" hole in it so it would slip over the throttle shaft. Then I split that little piece of leather in half to get two 1/16" thick leather washers and installed them. After putting the whole carb back together I put a little 3and1 oil on those leather gaskets. Worked like a champ!

I totally understand "Joe H's" comment about the power circuit. I didn't break down the carb this time because I've already been there on a rebuild and I didn't want to screw up all the gaskets. So, I'm gambling that they supplied me with the correct parts to preform a decent rebuild and are functioning correctly.

I'm really glad that I had to pull the carb again just to address those two little seals, because I was shocked what I found when I disconnected the gas line! Earlier on this thread we were going through and trying to figure out if the fuel pump was "the problem". "Hotrod Lincoln" gave me some very good info on fuel pump inlet vacuum and outlet pressure. Well, I tried to check the outlet pressure of the old fuel pump with my pressure/vacuum gage. On the positive side of the pump I had disconnected the gas line just before the carb . I inserted the plastic tapered fitting on my tubing connected to the gage into the gas line to try and get a reading. To shorten this story, the gasoline attacked the plastic and it broke off inside the gas line steel tubing. I wasn't aware of that until today. With the new fuel pump installed it pushed the broken off plastic tapered tip forward enough so that I was able to extract the plastic piece out that was hampering the fuel flow to the carb. WHAT ARE THE ODDS??.

Today I also installed the 180 degree thermostat, however, not without, "silly me", forgetting to install a "new" thermostat housing gasket. A run down to NAPA solved that "airhead" moment.

I've got one more thing I want to do before I take Lucille on a run. Just an annoying "leak" (4 letter word) from her tranny. I used a non-seize bolt material on the threads of the drain and filler plugs and the gear oil is leaking past this material. Gonna drain the tranny and put some leak proof sealant on the threads of the plugs and refill the tranny. Don't want to screw up my tranny!!

Once again, I'M EXHAUSTED OVER HERE!!

Oh, BTW, tomorrow I promised my wife that I would get away from Lucille and give her (my wife) a little attention. Like getting out for a "little Sunday lunch"!

On Monday I'll give you all a performance report. Hopefully "climbing hills" is not an issue any more!!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#836118 - Sat Mar 17 2012 04:32 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
joker Offline
Loc: Mesquite, Tx
install you a hemi with 560 gear.. that baby will go up hill then

my hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

pain is part of life, misery is an option

#836131 - Sat Mar 17 2012 05:13 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: joker]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Now that's really funny right there!!!

Then I'd have to change her name to "Screaming MAMA", or "Hemmingbird" and she'd be flying over Texas in a heartbeat!!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#836138 - Sat Mar 17 2012 05:57 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
Drydock Offline
Wrench Fetcher
I kept thinking, it sounds like fuel starvation! Glad you found it! thumbs_up
#836147 - Sat Mar 17 2012 06:42 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Drydock]
joker Offline
Loc: Mesquite, Tx
you have a fine looking truck,
I was almost ready to play this for you

my hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

pain is part of life, misery is an option

#836198 - Sat Mar 17 2012 09:21 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: joker]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
I don't know what to say, jeez....I'm tearing up over here...where has she gone...

I thank you for your heartfelt compassion.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#836318 - Sun Mar 18 2012 10:47 AM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
DADS50 Offline
Shop Shark
Might want to do a carb rebuilds anyway. Sounds like the piece of plastic was past the filter. Any little crud in the carb will cause problems.

I find the accelerator pumps in the carbs don't last me long at all. I had to replace 2 last year.

Enjoy your Sunday with the family.

YouTube

1950 3100

Hitchin a ride

.New Pic.
#836654 - Mon Mar 19 2012 01:14 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: DADS50]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
"Houston, we have lift-off!"

Man-o-man, what a difference! I finally have POWER!! Climbing hills is not a problem any more!! Amazing what a new fuel pump and unrestricted fuel lines will do. I should have done this first thing when I got the truck. Only thing is, she had soooo many problems with her that it was, OK, which one do I attack first??

Anyway, I'm glad I won the battle!! Thanks to all of you who helped me conquer this problem.

Oh, one other detail I did this morning was to get Lucille and new throttle control spring. The old one didn't have enough strength to it especially since I installed those new leather seals on the throttle shaft of the carb.

Now it's time for some cruising!! Ha, ha!!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#836663 - Mon Mar 19 2012 02:26 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: Lucille]
CASO Offline
Shop Shark
thanks for the up date... wave
so in the end can we safely 'guess' that it was a partially plugged fuel passage that was the culprit causing the 'original' lack of power complaint and every thing else that got fixed was really just required normal maintenance we can all expect to encounter sooner or later?

Truth is I think these types of issues are half the fun (if you can call it that) of owning one of these rigs. No, "where do I plug the computer in?" here.... just good ol scientific method at work coming up with theories and testing them for validity.
#836669 - Mon Mar 19 2012 03:18 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: CASO]
jomichael Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Whoo hoo! It's great when it's something easy. You fixed the fuel leak on the carb too, right?
#836675 - Mon Mar 19 2012 03:34 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: CASO]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
CASO,
Your close! The real problem from the get go was the fuel pump. I don't know how old it was, but it was shot! The diaphram was plain worn out. Sometimes you can tell from the outside if it looks like its leaking. In my case there were no tags attached to show anyone it's age. You would think that it would be date stamped. So, I thought I could try and take it apart and "monkey" with it to get it to perform better, but that turned out to be a waste of time. Just buy a new one!! I paid $44.00 for one at NAPA.

The blockage was my creation. As I said before, when I went to try and check fuel pump pressure on the "old" pump I inserted a tapered nozzle like probe into the gas line just ahead of the fuel filter which was just ahead of the carb. The gasoline attacked the plastic and degraded the fitting. Lesson learned, don't stick plastic probes into gasoline!! Some plastics can handle gasoline and some can't. I should have had a hose connection on the "outside" of the gas line to check the pressure. Oh, and BTW, this engine analysis kit I have is from the '70's. A good friend of mind gave it to me one day when he found out I had aquired and old truck. So that little plastic probe in that old kit just wasn't compatible to be exposed to gasoline.

Anyway, I would suggest everyone check their fuel pump and if it isn't delivering the correct fuel rate, get a new one right off the bat!! End the drama and frustration!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
#836676 - Mon Mar 19 2012 03:36 PM Re: Climbing Hills? [Re: jomichael]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
jomichael,
Yep, the leak at the throttle shaft is gone!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->