The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
33 registered (bnauman, baldybenny, 2-Ton, AWinLex, 53 green 1- ton, Bubblemaker, 1 invisible), 155 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,247 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,193 Topics
750,836 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
Frog, Johnny-B-Bad, Perry, ridenlow53, softwaresys, weasle, Yeagley, zardoz
Image Posting Policy
New Reply
Topic Options
#832323 - Mon Mar 05 2012 12:13 AM New from MN
redchevytruck Offline
New Guy
Loc: Minnesota
Checking in to say hello. New member here but really looking forward to learning about the classic trucks.

No truck for me...yet. I'm 22 but my heart is set on getting a 1950-54 Chevy 3100 and fixing it as close to original!
#832336 - Mon Mar 05 2012 02:16 AM Re: New from MN [Re: redchevytruck]
jockbolter50 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Scotland
Hi Red.Welcome from Scotland.
It's alway good to see the young guys taking an interest in these cool old trucks.
Even more that you're wanting to keep it close to original.

I assumed at your young age you would want a rodded truck,I guess I was wrong!
Good luck,just keep saving the $$$ and you'll be a fully fledged truck ADdict before you know it!

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
#832342 - Mon Mar 05 2012 03:09 AM Re: New from MN [Re: jockbolter50]
Davey Do Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Godfrey, IL
Here's a good place to begin:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/gettingstarted.html.

Tom Brownell also has a really good book titled How To Restore Your Chevrolet Pickup . Before I purchased my own copy, I checked it out at my local library. The book usually runs about $25, but I picked one up on ebay for $13.

Good luck to you.

Edit: Wow. This is a trip. I meant to post this on another thread, but my post wound up here. Oh well. It was meant for you anyway, Red.

Edited by Davey Do (Mon Mar 05 2012 03:13 AM)
More pix on Photobucket
#832389 - Mon Mar 05 2012 09:18 AM Re: New from MN [Re: Davey Do]
Rich'sToys Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Janesville, Mn
Welcome to the Bolt! There are quite a few Minnesotans on here. Whereabouts are you from?

'47 Loadmaster

The indignation of politicians is NOT a good measure of the gravity of any situation!--Paul Harvey

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.

#832429 - Mon Mar 05 2012 11:33 AM Re: New from MN [Re: Rich'sToys]
redchevytruck Offline
New Guy
Thanks for the great welcome. Hotrods are cool but I was raised a country boy so I like the original look of these beauties. (Plus the chicks dig it smile

Have heard of that book and will definitely be making a purchase. Background research never hurts!

Finally I live in Wayzata right now. Born and raised around the GR, PR, Bemidji area and hope to return to there sometime soon!
#832433 - Mon Mar 05 2012 11:39 AM Re: New from MN [Re: Rich'sToys]
redchevytruck Offline
New Guy
Any good local spots to search for a 50-54 chevy?
Originally Posted By Rich'sToys
Welcome to the Bolt! There are quite a few Minnesotans on here. Whereabouts are you from?
#832609 - Mon Mar 05 2012 09:04 PM Re: New from MN [Re: redchevytruck]
Lucille Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Murphy, NC
redchevytruck,
First off, welcome to the Stovebolt!
Man-o-man, I would think that finding a half decent 50's Stovebolt in MN will be a challenge due to the climate up there..ya know?
My wife is orginally from Duluth. I meet her in Maryland. After we had been married for 10 years we returned to Duluth and lived there 8 years. Yikes! Frozen tundra land in the winter, however, the summers were great. There may be an old Stovebolt sitting up in someones barn somewhere that has been forgotten. You would really have to spend some time looking for it. With the brutal winters up there I'd be absolutely amazed if you could find one in decent enough shape to restore. You may be better off planning to look outside MN and retrieve one from another part of the country. I'd keep my eyes on this site for trucks "for sale" or on Ebay/Craig's List. Their out there, you just have to be patient.
The other thing you have to concern yourself with is where are you going to work on this truck and do you have enough room to do so? If not enough room you might better consider a truck that has already been partially restored. Then pick up where the previous owner left off. It can be an expensive game that may take alot of time but in the end you'll have a real treasure!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o510/Wolffman26/

Moderator:  1953 panel, Achipmunk 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->