The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
37 registered (BDammers47, 49nut, Barney1951, baldeagle, alemachevyman, 4 invisible), 143 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,268 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,273 Topics
751,394 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
Frank, mrs.tntrucknut, Peggy M, roknrod, stefanP
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#817655 - Wed Jan 18 2012 09:07 PM new air compressor bought wrong brand
mo Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: north dakota
just purchased a ingersoll rand 5hp two stage with 80 gallon tank from tractor supply for a 1000 dollars. long story short have lots of help moving and unloading a compressor this big. i ended up tipping it over and breaking a few things. so i called the service and parts number at ingersoll rand to order the things i needed. they do not sell replacement parts to their customers only to distribitors. so i found a distribitor online and order just the basics the flywheel and breather tube, i couldn't afford the belt guard although it looks really chinsy once its off. anyway the next day i get an email saying the flywheel is 4 weeks before i will get it. i called the distributor back and pleaded out my case so he called IR personnally they wont even expedite my order. so i am stuck between a rock and a hard place. no air in the shop, brand new compressor with no company backing even if your willing to pay. all i have to say is i will never i mean never buy another ingersoll rand tool again. probably going to sell the compressor once fixed and buy another brand. i am that disappointed
#817673 - Wed Jan 18 2012 09:56 PM Re: new air compressor bought wrong brand [Re: mo]
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
...its probably not worth it but if you had the time I'd do some research and call the IR folks personally. See if the distributor will give you the contact info. Then in a nice way let them know you'll cost them a lot more $$$ than it would cost them to get you some parts which I'm sure you'd pay for IF you could get them.
You probably already cost them money just posting here!!!
I'm afraid that its not only them these days but a majority of "distributors".

Sorry for you bad luck but heres hoping you'll get it going soon.

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#817681 - Wed Jan 18 2012 10:23 PM Re: new air compressor bought wrong brand [Re: Achipmunk]
red58 Offline
Boltergeist
Loc: north of the 49th
you're not an Ingersoll Rand customer, they only have wholesale customers, you're a Tractor Supply customer, why not go back to the tractor supply, the distributor you bought it from? .... sounds like you're taking your disappointment with yourself out on IR, and I hope you'll have lots of help next time you deal with a piece of equipment that big .... what you should ask IR is how often they're asked to replace a flywheel for that model compressor

Bill
#817685 - Wed Jan 18 2012 10:40 PM Re: new air compressor bought wrong brand [Re: red58]
crenwelge Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Fredericksburg, Texas
Have you tried WW Grainger. If they handle the compressor you bought, they can probably get parts in a hurry. However, the compressor may be a promotional model they build especially for Tractor Supply that they can sell cheaper. I personally prefer Champion and Kellog compressors and I have no trouble getting parts for them.
#817750 - Thu Jan 19 2012 08:28 AM Re: new air compressor bought wrong brand [Re: crenwelge]
Grigg Online
Loc: Lexington, VA
I've got a pair of Quincy compressors (they're really nice) and had absolutely no problem calling the local dealer and getting parts, and good advice too.

Grigg

"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..."
-Henry Maudslay-
Click here for all pictures
#817753 - Thu Jan 19 2012 08:35 AM Re: new air compressor bought wrong brand [Re: Grigg]
Builder Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Minnehaha County, South Dakota
Try these guys. I am impressed with them.

www.eatoncompressor.com
#817762 - Thu Jan 19 2012 09:15 AM Re: new air compressor bought wrong brand [Re: Builder]
Tiny Offline
Loc: South Central Kansas
I think the issue is with Tractor Supply as well. I bought a 5HP 80 Gal IR from Tractor Supply as well. I did have help unloading it because it is a beast. I can understand the difficulties of trying to unload it alone. I would put the onus on TS to provide the parts off of a compressor they have in stock and then put the new parts on it when they get them from IR.

Edited by Tiny (Thu Jan 19 2012 09:16 AM)
Dust: Mud with the juice squeezed out.
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Don't bet on a horse named Tripod.
#817849 - Thu Jan 19 2012 01:41 PM Re: new air compressor bought wrong brand [Re: Tiny]
mo Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: north dakota
the problem is IR. they put right on the tag that comes with the compreesor call this number for parts and service. so i did and got the run around. TSC was closed when this happened so i found a distribitor online and ordered the parts. IR doesn't have the parts in stock either otherwise my compressor would be working by the end of the week. i dont blame tsc for a part the manufacture doesnt have in stock nor the distribitor. IR will not sell an individual parts at all. doesnt matter where i got them from they still dont stock parts for their equipment. never buy IR is all i have to say. i can get parts for my 51 chevy pickup quicker and thats 60 years old not a brand new compressor. i will just have to wait.
#817865 - Thu Jan 19 2012 03:03 PM Re: new air compressor bought wrong brand [Re: mo]
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
AMEN, Mo.

As many of you probably know when you buy a product now days it usually will say DO NOT return this item to the place of purchase......just call this number!!

Edited by Achipmunk (Thu Jan 19 2012 03:04 PM)

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#817871 - Thu Jan 19 2012 03:31 PM Re: new air compressor bought wrong brand [Re: mo]
red58 Offline
Boltergeist
Loc: north of the 49th
you can give them your feedback, even ask to be contacted regarding it, but if you look around their website, you'll find that they only deal thru retailers, the number IR gives is for information about what retail distributors can provide you with parts and service .... why expect IR to stock parts that would likely only need replacing if sadly abused? of all the folks I know with compressors no one has ever had to replace a flywheel/pulley

sorry, but I still think you're PO'd at yourself, or should be, and your situation really shouldn't influence anyone's opinion of IR, or even TSC, as you weren't willing to wait long enough to deal with them, the actual supplier .... and good luck finding new non-wearing parts for your 51 at all, never mind within 4 weeks wink

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->