The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
9 registered (51chris, 51chevy6400, inoperable, 59 Apache Dlx, Bubblemaker, Hotrod Lincoln), 70 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,092 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,856 Topics
748,788 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
1Low53Burb, BB, Big Pink, Cartman, Chris's 46 / 515, Chucks Chariots, Cliffie, DonGarySan, J.T., Jinman60, JudasUrsus, Michael A. Nixon, MT, Randys_37
Image Posting Policy
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#740744 - Tue Apr 19 2011 06:04 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: nrdesieyes]
jomichael Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
I did this video last weekend on my 55. It is pretty rough though. I'm sure Mar-Ktech will do a much more professional video. This I do know, I feel sorry for you guys with 2 wheel drives trying to tighten those bolts on the bottom. Look at all that room I have! Ha, ha!
Bed Wood and sides install on 55.2 Chevy truck

#740752 - Tue Apr 19 2011 06:35 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: jomichael]
BIG CHEVY 3600 Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: DALLAS/BLANCO TEXAS
jomichael,
Great job and great looking truck. some questions: 1)did your bed come from MarK? 2) did the directions have you installing the wood first? I have just begun on mine but I hope I won't have to do any wood work to make it fit.
My instructions (51 3/4 ton) said to bolt the sides together first.

Atheism
The belief that there was nothing
and nothing happened to nothing and
then nothing magically exploded for
no reason, creating everything and
then a bunch of everything magically
rearranged itself for no reason whatsoever
into self-replicating bits which then turned
into dinosaurs.
Makes perfect sense.

#740800 - Tue Apr 19 2011 09:07 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: BIG CHEVY 3600]
jomichael Offline
Shop Shark
Thanks for the comment. The truck should be on the road next Monday for the first time in 6 years.
1. Unfortunately, mine did not come from MarK. I had no idea about his company before I purchased the bed sides and wood from Jim Carter. I faced a lot of challenges as the bed sides did not have the bolt holes for the fenders pre drilled, and I felt the manufacturing was pretty rough. There were wrinkles on the stake pocket. I think you can see them in the video on the passenger side. I fixed the driver side but still need to address it on the passenger side. the bed wood had no pre drilled holes or the offset counter holes for the washers, and there were no instructions whatsoever. As you saw in the video I had to cut a shallow dado on the end boards so the angle bracket would sit correctly. I also had to trim them on my jointer.
I heard that MarK offers a kit with much less frustration involved!
2. I have heard, and I did consider, setting up the wood and cross sills on a couple of stands and bolting the wood and strips together. The problem I see in that is you then have to lift it into place and it will most likely be out of alignment. And that is the hardest part about this whole project is lining up the holes. I had to enlarge the holes on the sills and frame to get it all to work. Seems easier to just do it on the truck. If you have a low riding 2 wheel drive truck, it seems to make sense to jack up the entire truck as far as you can to access the bolts.

All I can say is that you should put it together before you paint ANYTHING because you can bet, it won't fit the first time and you will need to cut and trim the wood. I installed it once when everything was raw, then once when the wood was painted because I was worried that the coats of paint would throw off the alignment. The third and final time went pretty smooth as you can see. I did it in a day.
#740804 - Tue Apr 19 2011 09:23 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: jomichael]
jomichael Offline
Shop Shark
Big Chevy,
Just looked at your truck, that is beautiful! Love the color. When do you think you will be done? How long have you been working on it?

You all refer to AD trucks, are they older than a 1955.2? If so, then my video isn't going to help much. Looking at your bed Big Chev, it looks like it is almost a separately built part of the truck. Maybe that is where I heard that you put the bed together on the ground and lift it on?

Oh, well, maybe my video will help some of you.
#740805 - Tue Apr 19 2011 09:27 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: jomichael]
BIG CHEVY 3600 Offline
Master Gabster
I have sanded the wood and set it aside. We are now waiting for
1 9/16 Forstner bit I have ordered 2 weeks ago. The bed sides are bolted and square and we will assemble it and then remove the wood for treating. I have decided on soaking each of the ends of the bed strips overnight to reduce the usual rot on the ends.

Atheism
into dinosaurs.
Makes perfect sense.

#740811 - Tue Apr 19 2011 09:38 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: BIG CHEVY 3600]
BIG CHEVY 3600 Offline
Master Gabster
Thanks. My wife picked the color. You know how it is... safer that way. lol

My son and I towed it back to Dallas from St. Louis in May 2006, and that's when we started the project. My son was in college so most of the work has been on my watch. I hope we can show it at the end of May but we'll need to kick it in gear if that happens.
We are working on doors/weatherstriping/air/bed/ and a little sheet-metal front end assembly.

The AD is from 47.2 through 55.1 series.

Atheism
into dinosaurs.
Makes perfect sense.

#741099 - Wed Apr 20 2011 07:37 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: BIG CHEVY 3600]
DrewP Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Glassboro,NJ
Great video. Truck is way nice.
#741379 - Thu Apr 21 2011 04:51 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: nrdesieyes]
Swifster Offline
New Guy
Loc: Lakeland, FL
When Stacy David built the Copperhead truck ('67 C-10), one show had a basic instruction video of how to assemble a fleetside bed (can't be too different). It should be on Youtube.com somewhere.

1964 Studebaker Daytona
1964 Studebaker Commander

#742707 - Tue Apr 26 2011 04:25 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: Swifster]
nrdesieyes Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Menlo Park, CA
jomichael - great stuff! thanks for making and posting that video!
#755386 - Fri Jun 17 2011 02:32 PM Re: AD BED INSTALL ON YOUTUBE [Re: nrdesieyes]
nrdesieyes Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Menlo Park, CA
MarK-Tech: any movement on the idea of Mar-K making a proper bed installation video?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->