The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
5 registered (chronis, sleepindawg, Denny Graham, Bubblemaker, 1 invisible), 74 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,247 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,192 Topics
750,819 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
Frog, Johnny-B-Bad, Perry, ridenlow53, softwaresys, weasle, Yeagley, zardoz
Image Posting Policy
New Reply
Topic Options
#671193 - Wed Aug 18 2010 12:01 AM Vapor Lock? - Chevy 350
REAL_RAT_FINK Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Rexburg, Idaho
I have a chevy 350 in my 58 Apache. After driving for 10 minutes, the engine randomly shuts off. I try and start it but can't. The starter cranks the motor freely and when the gas pedal is pressed, gas does indeed shoot into the intake.

I have fuel. I do not have combustion issues becuase it runs fine for the first 10 minutes. I have spark.

After waiting 25 minutes, the motor usually fires up. I live in a high altitude location in Idaho.

Conclusion: Vapor lock or possible carb issue? Need help on this one....

---Casey---

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv127/davisears/?albumview=slideshow
#671198 - Wed Aug 18 2010 12:34 AM Re: Vapor Lock? - Chevy 350 [Re: REAL_RAT_FINK]
FriedGreenTmater Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: colorado
Vapor lock is caused by the gas boiling en-route to the carburetor creating a situation which starves the engine of fuel. If you are getting good gas when it's hot then you likely have a problem in the ignition. Points, Condenser, or coil.
More pix on Photobucket
Caution: Political Statement

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
#671495 - Thu Aug 19 2010 02:43 AM Re: Vapor Lock? - Chevy 350 [Re: FriedGreenTmater]
REAL_RAT_FINK Offline
Wrench Fetcher
What do you mean "good gas"? The engine is getting gas, but there is some rust in the gas. My filter proves that, it clogs it all the time.

Could this be the culprit?

I just went through all the electrical recently including rotor,cap, curve kit, module,and plugs. BUT I haven't changed the coil. Could it be the coil?

---Casey---

#671512 - Thu Aug 19 2010 06:30 AM Re: Vapor Lock? - Chevy 350 [Re: REAL_RAT_FINK]
Avette4me Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Tuttle, OK
Originally Posted By REAL_RAT_FINK
What do you mean "good gas"? The engine is getting gas, but there is some rust in the gas. My filter proves that, it clogs it all the time.

That's where I'd place my bet.
#671535 - Thu Aug 19 2010 09:22 AM Re: Vapor Lock? - Chevy 350 [Re: REAL_RAT_FINK]
FriedGreenTmater Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: colorado
Good gas is clean and with 5-7 lbs pressure.
Think of a snow-globe. if it is sitting on a shelf idle it appears to have clear clean liquid in it. shake it up and stuff floats all over the place.
Introduce all that floating matter into a running engine and I'm surprised you got out of the driveway. grin
More pix on Photobucket
Caution: Political Statement

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
#671866 - Fri Aug 20 2010 05:43 PM Re: Vapor Lock? - Chevy 350 [Re: FriedGreenTmater]
REAL_RAT_FINK Offline
Wrench Fetcher
I guess it could be the rust in the gas tank, but that sure seems odd.

The truck always start when the motor is cool. I run it for 10 minutes and the idle is fine, everything is fine. Then, it just randomly dies. If I check the carb at this point, it still shoots gas into the engine just fine. With gas in the motor, it should start up regardless of a little rust. I'm starting to think it must be the coil.

---Casey---

#671872 - Fri Aug 20 2010 06:14 PM Re: Vapor Lock? - Chevy 350 [Re: REAL_RAT_FINK]
squeeze Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: Vancouver Island
could be something like the coil, but considering you've seen the filter plug, might clean the carb inlet screen if it has one [should] and try popping the top of the carb to see how much sediment is in the bottom of the bowl - a "little rust" can cause "little spaces" to plug up when things vibrate for awhile, as in a few minutes of running with the attendant fuel flow agitation, the fact that the accelerator pump works doesn't mean jets aren't plugging up

Bill

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->