The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
52 registered (41-327, 55 SHAKER, 48 Yuma Rebel, 35truck, 2-Ton, 4 invisible), 216 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,084 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,778 Topics
748,237 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
53ChevHotRod, dmtk2007, foolonthehill, MLT, Niedermair, Perry Dean, Redd GMC, Rick Paul, wizard 49
Image Posting Policy
Topic Options
#62196 - Mon Jun 26 2006 09:40 AM Proportioning Valve - Bleeding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Started the brake filling/bleeding procedure on my modified 54. I am using the proportioning valve from the donor G-body (grand prix) and am not getting any fluid past the valve to the rear drums. Front calipers are filling fine. Could the valve itself require some bleeding or might it be non-functioning and need to be replaced with another valve?
#62197 - Mon Jun 26 2006 10:09 AM Re: Proportioning Valve - Bleeding
64fleetside Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Arkansaw
what I do when his happens, I go to the master, make sure there is fluid coming out by cracking the line loose while pressure is on the system, then follow it down line til you "loose" the fluid. sometimes you have a bad master, or need to bench bleed again,,usually its just large pockets of air somewhere..those valves can stick, & some have a small rod you pull out to bleed the system. brian
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
#62198 - Mon Jun 26 2006 11:21 AM Re: Proportioning Valve - Bleeding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am getting fluid to the top of the valve but it is not making its way to the rear port. It appears to be stuck. Maybe a slight tap or two with the small swinging press might be enough to bring it around. Thanks
#62199 - Mon Jun 26 2006 02:28 PM Re: Proportioning Valve - Bleeding
64fleetside Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Arkansaw
tap on it whilst someone is pumping on the pedal, lots of times that will work,,I am a big fan of the swinging press,,my fav is what I was told is a shoeing hammer I found somewhere, short handle w/ a big fat head. brian
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
#62200 - Mon Jun 26 2006 02:37 PM Re: Proportioning Valve - Bleeding
Fla54Chevy3100 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Central Florida
Been there....done that....after you get tired of messing with that plumbers nightmare prop valve, you might check into a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. Both Jegs (2 day delivery) and Summit sell these valves @ $39.00. This allows you to adjust the rear brake pressure to your own particular vehicle. I've used them in conjunction with the residual valves and find them troublefree and simple to install. I currently have mine positioned so that I can adjust the bias from in the cab. Knob comes up through floor panel and sits behind my right foot when I'm driving. You can see a pic of my simple setup on my webpage:

http://community.webshots.com/user/Fla54Chevy3100

Hope this helps out. BTW..I went through the same hassle you're dealing with...didn't ever get the brakes to work like I wanted. The Wilwood Adjustable valve with related residual valves solved the problem once and for all!

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#62201 - Mon Jun 26 2006 06:15 PM Re: Proportioning Valve - Bleeding
rfs56trk Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Seal Beach, CA
Houston54. One of the purposes of the proportioning valve is to stop the flow of the fluid to the part of system that has "failed" so you still have some brakes. What has happened in your case is when you started bleeding the brakes the valve sensed a failure on the rears and shut off the flow. Do not bang on the valve! Simply remove the plastic electrical connector in the center, it has a pin that centers in a plunger. (on the factory application it connected to an idiot light that tells you that there is a problem). When you look in the hole you will see that the plunger has moved. Use a small screwdriver or an ice pick to realign it. Try not to scratch up the plunger. Reinstall the connector. Next, open one of the rear bleeder screws and let some fluid gravity flow out. It may take a few minutes. When you get some fluid out of that side, close it and open the other side and do the same thing. Now you can bleed the system without having the problem you encountered. These proportioning valves work fine and once you have bled the system it will work forever. I hope this helps. Fred

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->