The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
50 registered (46flh, 55firstseries, 49LEADDIN, '55 3800 pickup, 1951Chevy1Ton, 4 invisible), 155 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,268 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,276 Topics
751,413 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
Frank, mrs.tntrucknut, Peggy M, roknrod, stefanP
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#548422 - Sun Jun 21 2009 01:48 AM NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer
Ratdog Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Kansas City
Was at my local NAPA parts store in KC today picking up an oil filter for my rider and was looking around and seen some nice looking tool chests and drawers made by Homac or Homak. Never heard of this brand. They looked wellbuilt and drawers had roller bearings and are rated for 100 lbs. They are wide and are on rollers. All for $799.00 while supplies last.
Has anyone seen them in other areas of the country? And if so what do you think about the quality. They seem to match up with Craftsman's best if not better.
Had plenty of drawers,can't remember how many but it is huge and will hold a heck of alot of tools.
Thinking about buying one.

"One thing about trains, it doesn't matter where there going, what matters is, deciding to get on." - Polar Express

God is great, Beer is good, and people are crazy.
#548773 - Mon Jun 22 2009 05:15 AM Re: NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer [Re: Ratdog]
SW_Radial Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Pennsylvania
When we had a "Farm & Fleet" store in Clearfield PA Homak was the brand of toolchests they carried.
F&F went out now it is "Tractor Supply" not sure what they carry, but the Homak chests looked to be decent.
My rolling chest is a "Kobalt" brand, but the badges on it for the roller bearing drawers are identical to "Craftsman" brand ?..I believe many of the chests out there are made by the same manufacturer and the end seller just attaches there logo to them.
Tim

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#548996 - Mon Jun 22 2009 10:31 PM Re: NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer [Re: SW_Radial]
LONGBOX55 Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: DANVILLE IL
Just judging by the construction, it's a Waterloo. Waterloo also make the Craftsman boxes. F&F also carries Waterloo boxes.
TSC carries MasterForce toolboxes, as does Menards. Those are made by Clarke.
Not sure who makes the Kobalt boxes that Lowes carries, some look like Waterloo, but their larger boxes seem to have a different construction.
#552946 - Sun Jul 05 2009 08:05 PM Re: NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer [Re: LONGBOX55]
Modelman Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Lacombe, LA. USA
I was reading this post and remembered that Lowes sells one for something like $1,700.00 it has all sorts of draws AND and CD radio and minifridge, which in MOHO is such a waste, as decent full size fridge for the shop/garage is $400 and has a freezer, you know for the Vodka! If I was ever to hit the lottery and had a 5-7 bay garage built I might consider it.

Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.

BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
#552989 - Sun Jul 05 2009 10:37 PM Re: NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer [Re: Modelman]
LONGBOX55 Offline
Master Gabster
Our local Lowes had one on clearance a while back, about 1/3 off, due to it having a rather large dent in the backside of it caused in shipping.
'Course, then again, I'm kinda partial to this one. grin
#553047 - Mon Jul 06 2009 01:52 AM Re: NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer [Re: LONGBOX55]
Don G. Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Central Valley Calif.
Unless you need a big tool box like Matco,Mac, SnapOn etc. they are a real waste to pay $2500.00 to $10000.00 for a tool box to sit in a home shop when a craftsman will do or you have so much damm money you just don't care. I worked in a Food Production for 41 years and Mac,SnapON Matco did not hold up any better than the Craftman or Waterloo etc. In that enviroment the all break down from moving them around from job to job getting wet welding on top them etc. and the more weight you have in them the sooner they break down from being moved. Like one guy said you do not need a frig.,radio built in as they charge a arm and a leg for these add on's. Now don't get me wrong but they look nice sitting there and as far as metal thinkness they are all about same in thickness. All it boils down to is bragging rights. What gets me is all the boxes do the same thing hold tools. Just think about it!
62Blue
Don

Edited by Don G. (Mon Jul 06 2009 01:54 AM)
#553134 - Mon Jul 06 2009 01:29 PM Re: NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer [Re: Don G.]
Ratdog Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Kansas City
Originally Posted By Don G.
Unless you need a big tool box like Matco,Mac, SnapOn etc. they are a real waste to pay $2500.00 to $10000.00 for a tool box to sit in a home shop when a craftsman will do or you have so much damm money you just don't care. I worked in a Food Production for 41 years and Mac,SnapON Matco did not hold up any better than the Craftman or Waterloo etc. In that enviroment the all break down from moving them around from job to job getting wet welding on top them etc. and the more weight you have in them the sooner they break down from being moved. Like one guy said you do not need a frig.,radio built in as they charge a arm and a leg for these add on's. Now don't get me wrong but they look nice sitting there and as far as metal thinkness they are all about same in thickness. All it boils down to is bragging rights.[ What gets me is all the boxes do the same thing hold tools. Just think about it!]
62Blue
Don

Yep laalaa

"One thing about trains, it doesn't matter where there going, what matters is, deciding to get on." - Polar Express

God is great, Beer is good, and people are crazy.
#553135 - Mon Jul 06 2009 01:31 PM Re: NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer [Re: Modelman]
MNSmith Online
Loc: So Cal
Originally Posted By V-6 Fix Modelman
If I was ever to hit the lottery and had a 5-7 bay garage built I might consider it.

Why add that when you could just add an office and a lunch room. Maybe a locker room with showers, etc.

1951 Chevy Suburban
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots and LOTS of pictures
#553139 - Mon Jul 06 2009 01:35 PM Re: NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer [Re: Don G.]
MNSmith Online
Loc: So Cal
Originally Posted By Don G.
What gets me is all the boxes do the same thing hold tools. Just think about it!
62Blue
Don

Not necessarily. My shop got one of those big, heavy duty Craftsman boxes to hold big wrenches and heavy tools. Wrenches sized from 1" up to 2". 3/4" drive, 1" drive and spline drive socket sets. The darn drawers in that thing fall out just sitting still!! Brand new box and the tear out is so bad, we can't even fix the sliders. I'm about ready to toss the box out. The similar Snapons don't have that problem. So all boxes are not created equal.

1951 Chevy Suburban
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots and LOTS of pictures
#553269 - Mon Jul 06 2009 09:38 PM Re: NAPA Tool Chest and Drawer [Re: MNSmith]
LONGBOX55 Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted By MNSmith
[quote=Don G.]What gets me is all the boxes do the same thing hold tools. Just think about it!
62Blue
Don

Not necessarily. My shop got one of those big, heavy duty Craftsman boxes to hold big wrenches and heavy tools. Wrenches sized from 1" up to 2". 3/4" drive, 1" drive and spline drive socket sets. The darn drawers in that thing fall out just sitting still!! Brand new box and the tear out is so bad, we can't even fix the sliders. I'm about ready to toss the box out. The similar Snapons don't have that problem. So all boxes are not created equal. [/quote]
Very true. That's why I have a Snap-On at work. Besides, once you get into a Craftsman box that size, the price is about the same.

Moderator:  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->