The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
19 registered (blumarln, cdandelivery, chadkiser, Cletus1950, 59 Apache Dlx, 5 Window 9434, 1 invisible), 50 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,271 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,290 Topics
751,525 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
Camaro_Mike, Chy, Dyno-Sore, Steve Garner, stewbud
Image Posting Policy
New Reply
Topic Options
#529277 - Thu Apr 16 2009 10:22 PM Phosphoric acid neutralizing
Dan B. Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Texas
I have been using phosphoric acid to treat most of the paintable surfaces on my 3100. Just ordered epoxy primer and am having second thoughts about shooting over the acid prepped metal. I read the whole thread about "phosphoric acid rules" but not much mentioned about whether it needs to be neutralized with anything before priming. This first step is obviously critical. Anyone with long term experience with this stuff?

Thanks
#529296 - Thu Apr 16 2009 10:45 PM Re: Phosphoric acid neutralizing [Re: Dan B.]
red58 Offline
Boltergeist
Loc: north of the 49th
I haven't found it cause any problems, it's great metal prep for rust prevention, but also best practice when starting to shoot paint is to wipe down with a grease/wax remover immediately beforehand

Bill
#529321 - Thu Apr 16 2009 11:44 PM Re: Phosphoric acid neutralizing [Re: red58]
Slickriffs Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Fairfield CT
Yup-pretty standard series of events here-Never had a problem.

Keith
#529398 - Fri Apr 17 2009 09:09 AM Re: Phosphoric acid neutralizing [Re: Slickriffs]
Tiny Offline
Loc: South Central Kansas
If neutralizing it will make you feel better a simple baking soda/water solution will kill any residue.
Dust: Mud with the juice squeezed out.
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Don't bet on a horse named Tripod.
#529405 - Fri Apr 17 2009 09:35 AM Re: Phosphoric acid neutralizing [Re: Tiny]
sclor Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: New Orleans
I use Ospho in a spray bottle, scuff with a scuff pad, then wipe with a paper towel. When I am ready to prime, I scuff with a scuff pad, then wipe with Wax and Grease remover. I have never had any problems.

The one caveat is that you can only apply phospohric acid once. Thus you have to be sure that the primer you are using doesn't also contain the acid. That means no etch primer and no hybrid epoxies that contain acid. I use Kirker Enduro that doesn't. I believe Valspar/House of Kolor is one that does contain acid. It is best to look at the manufacturers data sheets for the primer you are using to ensure that metal etched with phosphoric acid is a suitable substrate for the primer.

I hope this is helpful.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
#529457 - Fri Apr 17 2009 02:19 PM Re: Phosphoric acid neutralizing [Re: sclor]
Spotbiltxo Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Steve makes a good point, but I wouldn't expect acid-acid reaction with a previously treated surface that is totally dry.
Once the phosphoric acid reacts with the rust to form oxide then the acid has been altered. Significant reaction would occur if the organic acids are viscueous.

As a note, it is always prudent to neutralize any surface treated with acid with fresh water. Most of the directions on a bottle of phosphoric acid reccomend this step in their directions section.

Spot
1941 Chevy coupe
#529507 - Fri Apr 17 2009 06:00 PM Re: Phosphoric acid neutralizing [Re: Spotbiltxo]
Jimmie D Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Grand Junction, Colo.
Here is what Wikipedia had on the subject.
Rust removal
Phosphoric acid may be used by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces to convert iron(III) oxide (rust) to a water-soluble phosphate compound. It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called naval jelly. As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water. When sufficiently diluted, it can even be nutritious to plant life, containing the essential nutrients phosphorus and iron. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer." It should not be directly introduced into surface water such as creeks or into drains, however. After treatment, the reddish-brown iron oxide will be converted to a black iron phosphate compound coating that may be scrubbed off. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The resultant black compound can provide further corrosion resistance (such protection is somewhat provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes). After application and removal of rust using phosphoric acid compounds, the metal should be oiled (if to be used bare, as in a tool) or appropriately painted, by using a multiple coat process of primer, intermediate, and finish coats.

#530138 - Sun Apr 19 2009 07:22 PM Re: Phosphoric acid neutralizing [Re: Jimmie D]
50adrod Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Louisiana
I use SPI epoxy and they advise against it. they recomend sanded bare metal only. if you are using SPI epoxy just give Barry a call, he will help you out.

71 corvette conv, 525 hp big block

Moderator:  Fourbrads 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->