The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
30 registered (alltruck72, 52 6400, 66flea, 1953 panel, 46flh, AWinLex, 3 invisible), 92 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,271 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,290 Topics
751,536 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
Camaro_Mike, Chy, Dyno-Sore, Steve Garner, stewbud
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#474281 - Sat Nov 22 2008 04:00 PM Hammertone paint additive needed
ddautoparts Offline
Apprentice
Loc: Maylene, Alabama
I have a '41 Suburban that I'm going to restore and am buying up parts for. I have 4 original underdash radio's, (one can't have too many spare parts), one of which I had restored and new plating put on the bezel. The original bronze/brown color is not going to be a problem to match. What do you add to the paint to give it the hammertone appearance as original? If there is such an additive available, is it used with lacquers or enamels or both? I don't want to use the spray paints that are out there because they are not an exact color match. It appears the dash on this vehicle has a hammertone finish as well, just not as pronounced, so I believe I'll need it for that as well when the time comes.

DDAUTOPARTS
#474444 - Sat Nov 22 2008 11:12 PM Re: Hammertone paint additive needed [Re: ddautoparts]
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
For some reason I want to think Eastwood offered this paint in a can. (not a spray can) It could be sprayed in a conventional gun or perhaps, since your not painting much, you could use an airbrush gun. It may be worth checking out Eastwood???

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#474826 - Mon Nov 24 2008 04:16 AM Re: Hammertone paint additive needed [Re: Achipmunk]
SW_Radial Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Pennsylvania
Just a thought...could you use the spray can Hammered paint in shade close, let it cure a good week or so an then paint over it with the desired color ?? ..you would get the effect needed.
never tried it just thinkin.
Tim

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#474834 - Mon Nov 24 2008 06:11 AM Re: Hammertone paint additive needed [Re: SW_Radial]
Scott Danforth Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Cheesehead in Paradise
I have heard of people spraying WD-40 (on the HAMB) over paint when it is wet to get a hammered appearance. I would have to try it myself first prior to endorsing it. Sherwin Williams has a line of paints called Dimenso that offers a hammered appearance.
#474884 - Mon Nov 24 2008 10:15 AM Re: Hammertone paint additive needed [Re: Scott Danforth]
JiMerit Boltr#43 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: olTruck(Turlock), CA
Im sure some auto paint shops should be able to get the real stuff in spray cans. The stuff I had some years back was called 'Hammarite' I believe, came in several colors.
#474923 - Mon Nov 24 2008 11:39 AM Re: Hammertone paint additive needed [Re: JiMerit Boltr#43]
mike bourg Offline
New Guy
Loc: Englewood Colorado
the hammerite brand is still availble and i know of 3 colors that are available black, silver, and a blue, there are probably more, but the ace that I get mine at doesn`t stock it
MikeB
#475047 - Mon Nov 24 2008 06:34 PM Re: Hammertone paint additive needed [Re: mike bourg]
Denny Graham Online
Extreme Gabster
Loc: Sandwich, IL
Tcpglobal handles about all of the Hammerite line.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/hamrustcap.aspx?gclid=COGRn-D5jpcCFQJ-xgodHnxifg

And the Rustoleum line.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/hamrustcap.aspx?gclid=COGRn-D5jpcCFQJ-xgodHnxifg

Between the two they cover a lot of shades that come pretty close to an original finish. Chips are available on the above sites also.

Hey Jim, thanks for the work you did on the AC filters, very interesting about the most comprehensive article that Iíve ever seen on the subject. Iíve added it to my reference library. Iíd sure like to hear a little bit of history on the AC Company such as who they were and where they came from and when GM acquired them.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

#475053 - Mon Nov 24 2008 06:48 PM Re: Hammertone paint additive needed [Re: Denny Graham]
atomarc Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: Eureka, CA
I've painted several pieces of mill machinery that I have made with Hammerite. I don't know its chemical makeup, but I'll bet it has a Kryptonite base, as it's the hardest, most durable paint you can find...even out of a pee can!

Stuart
#475502 - Tue Nov 25 2008 10:11 PM Re: Hammertone paint additive needed [Re: atomarc]
ddautoparts Offline
Apprentice
Loc: Maylene, Alabama
I appreciate everyone's comments on the Hammerite and Sherwin Williams paints. Unfortunately I've tried them all and the colors are not close. I've also tried using the Hammerite and painting the correct color over it (both cured and wet) and it doesn't come out right. (As an aside from this, this technique does work great on wrinkle finishes though) I've talked to the local paint store which has been a Dupont distributor since the '50's and they don't have anything to replicate the finish. Induron industrial paints has a plant here that makes custom colors and I've come up blank there too. Hammerite won't give any trade secrets, so I drew a blank there too. Eventually someone will have the answer. To the person who recommended the WD-40 method, I will give it a try.

I appreciate the comment on the AC oil filter article I wrote. Peggy Millman is in the process of putting it on the Stovebolt site.

Pat Doonan
#475504 - Tue Nov 25 2008 10:14 PM Re: Hammertone paint additive needed [Re: atomarc]
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
Denny, there was an article in the Old Cars Weekly not to long ago about the AC plugs. IF my memory is correct I think the AC stood for Allis Chalmers....or some other guy named Chalmers. It also listed when GM purchased it but If forgot.
I wiah I hadn't gave that article away!!

EDIT: OOOOOK, a nice fellowbolter just "clued me in"... I am incorrect. blush It was Albert Champion and NOT Allis Chalmers.

EDIT AGAIN: Here's the story as told to me.
In 1878 Albert Champion was born in France. He was an avid race fan, and began competing in bicycle and motorcycle races. Shortly after the advent of the automobile, he gained an interest in auto mechanics and automobile racing. At that time, most spark plugs were imported from France, and were very expensive. Seeing a need for more spark plug manufacturers, Champion, along with W.C. Durant (who later became president of General Motors) opened the "Champion Ignition Company" (later to become Champion Spark Plug Company), a shop that manufactured spark plugs and magnetos for the fledgling auto industry. In 1905 a falling out between himself and his investors left Champion without a company, or a name, as the investors were allowed to keep the Champion name. A new company was formed and incorporated in October of 1908 with the backing of the Buick Motor Co., and renamed it the "AC Spark Plug Company", hence his initials are what the "AC" means. (AC = Albert Champion). On October 27, 1927 Albert Champion died, and General Motors acquired 100% interest in the AC Spark Plug Company through the purchase of the remaining stock held by his estate.

I'd give the proper person credit but he may want to remain unknown.
Thanks...now we have the rest of the story.

Edited by Achipmunk (Tue Nov 25 2008 11:09 PM)

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Fourbrads 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->