The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
14 registered (chadkiser, don stocker, DrewP, chevytruckdaddy, Bill Marlow, 5 Window 9434), 78 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,091 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,834 Topics
748,625 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
bigjohn83, biglou55, I'm new to the old, kristof, RA HART
Image Posting Policy
Topic Options
#473312 - Thu Nov 20 2008 08:58 AM Shifter for MY6 transmission
jfnar Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Arkansas
I've located a MY6 4 speed transmission but it doesn't have the shifter. Is there an aftermarket shifter that works with this? I haven't found it listed on any websites. Also, will the shifter from the Chrysler A833 transmissions work on the MY6? If so, it might make it easier to find one. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
#473326 - Thu Nov 20 2008 10:32 AM Re: Shifter for MY6 transmission [Re: jfnar]
LGriffin Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Oakdale, CA
The problem your up against is not so much the shifter, as it is the rods, and mounting plate. Which is complicated by there being 3-4 different tail shafts for the A833. I'd narrow it down to a complete shifter (including rods, and mounting plate) for an A833 with overdrive. On the A833 with overdrive third gear was modified to become the OD. To make third gear look like fourth gear in the shift pattern they reversed the lever on the shift fork pointing it up. The rods used by Mopar are 7/16 diameter not 3/8 as with GM. I found a shifter in a Dodge Van that I used in 63 C20. The Dodge 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks also used the tranny. The Van shifter does end up being closer to the driver when mounted. It is not that much closer that I had to cut into the side of hump on my 63. You will also find that the OEM shifters for Mopar sell for more on ekbay than the GM shifters. After 3-4 years I did finally find a MY6 shifter on ekbay.

btw if anyone is interested there are two (MY6) A833 on ekbay now. One has the rare bell housing that has both the GM bolt pattern and the Mopar bolt pattern.

Larry

Edited by LGriffin (Thu Nov 20 2008 10:33 AM)
#473554 - Thu Nov 20 2008 08:50 PM Re: Shifter for MY6 transmission [Re: LGriffin]
desertdog Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Ariz. desert
I run a Hurst 'Street Super Shifter' on my MY6. I could have used a A833 mounting plate I had laying around but instead made my own so as to locate it where I wanted it for MY CAR, not where some factory designer thought it should be in who knows what car. I used some Hurst shift arms out of my collection. Then I cut & welded to length & got the bends right on some Hurst rods I had. Works great. BTW, Hurst has only one part # for that shifter. It is used for Muncie, B-W, Richmond,Sag., New Process, & Ford 4-speeds. Get a Hurst catalog or online, check it out. Great well-proven shifter. Got a few pics of my installation below in 'My '55' album. That's a 292 in front of it.
Doug
#475380 - Tue Nov 25 2008 04:37 PM Re: Shifter for MY6 transmission [Re: desertdog]
Russell Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Cuttingsville, VT
There have been several MY6s on ebay recently. I bought one, and will probably need to rebuild it. I have the same question as jfnar about a shifter. There have been MY6/833 shifters on ebay along with the trans, but I have been outbid. Hurst Comp Plus shifters are good products, but they aren't Swiss watches. Why can't I (or anyone else) fab a mounting plate and bend some rods, and use just about any Hurst 4 speed shifter? If there is some critical or fundamental issue I am missing, I need to know.
#475388 - Tue Nov 25 2008 05:11 PM Re: Shifter for MY6 transmission [Re: Russell]
desertdog Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Ariz. desert
Russell-That's my style. No problem. My problem was, I didn't have any good one laying around. From Speedway you can get a pretty good price on a new one & I prefer that to a questionable used one. Fact is, I had a factory one once & sold it on ebay for nearly enough to pay for my new Hurst. I prefer the bolt on style shifter lever & all the configureations they are available in. Check my '55 pics' & you'll see the one I'm using is a round Hurst-last sold about 30 yr. ago I think.

Doug

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->